You choose

Everything you do in life begins with a choice. Even a choice of not to choose is a choice. That’s not an easy thing to grasp. Do you realize you will choose how to live today? You will choose everything down to if you end the day in tears or with a smile. You will choose how you live tomorrow too, and the next day and the next. That can be a sobering thought.

So many times we tell people “I have to do this” and “I have to do that.” But do we really? I believe we don’t “have to” do anything…we CHOOSE to do them. We have been conditioned to make certain choices without even thinking about them and some we make because we don’t want the potential repercussions that can happen if we don’t.

Think about it…

You don’t have to get out of bed…you choose to.
You don’t have to eat what’s in front of you…you choose to.
You don’t have to do what someones asks…you choose to.
You don’t have to take your meds…you choose to.
You don’t have to brush your teeth…you choose to.
You don’t have to smile…you choose to.

The list could go on and on with each thing you do today. Your choices today don’t just impact you and the very moment you are in either. They echo throughout life and create memories. They leave little footprints and cause ripples that affect others around you. I know some of you don’t believe me. You are reading this thinking, “That’s not true. What about the things I can’t choose? What about me having MS? I didn’t choose that.”

And you’re right. You didn’t choose MS, but you do get to choose how you respond to it. You choose if you will be angry, in denial, frustrated, or in fear. You choose if you will be determined or if you will give up. You choose.

Make choices today that give you a better tomorrow. No matter what you are facing, whether you are hurting, in debt, unemployed, unable to walk, in pain, weak…you choose how much MS will take from you.

Make the choice to live. Choose to be a better person today than you were yesterday. Choose to smile, laugh, appreciate others, help someone in need, love, care. It’s a new day. You choose.

1. Rachelle Baillab says:

Molim vas kontakt s ovom velikodušnom i pošten dama koja mi je omogućilo da se ostvare moji projekti i platiti svoje dugove tako što mi je kredit od 20.000 € .i objaviti ovu poruku kao što je to meni dobro i želim ti korist za one koji su stvarno potrebna, jer vidim mnogi se muče za prevare lažni lenders. Ovdje je njegov e-mail: michonmariejose@gmail.com

2. Jan
    Jan says:

I choose to be grateful for my life and enjoy having more time with my grandchildren because of ms I’m not at work. I choose my experience with ms to help and understand other people who are suffering illness. I choose to spend the days I can’t go out watching the birds feeding, loving my cat, extending my knowledge by reading. I choose to txt people to let them know I’m thinking about them instead of feeling sorry for myself. I choose to turn my dark moments into bright sunny ones. Yes it is hard at times, every day but I choose to be as strong as I can for I believe the mind is stronger than we realise in healing the body or in the case of ms giving us hope and positivity

3. Lois Southgate says:

Wise words. accept the things we cannot change and find the courage to change the things we can. I can’t change my MS, but I can choose my lifestyle, friends, treatments, job.

4. Kritika Jefferin says:

I choose to love me and respect people who love me and understands me n take me for wt I m. I chose to be strong in faith tht god is there with me and people like me. I chose to be alive every second of my life. I know tht this is In me like my life partner so instead of making him angry I started taking care of it. I chose to be me.

That is very good and true feeling. We do have choices that others don’t and it can be frustrating to match it with ‘healthy’ people. We shouldn’t have to do that but realize we are living a different life than they are.Most of the time they don’t see that we were ‘like’ them but things have changed for us. we still try and do what we used to and often fail, now this is not a bad thing as we do have barriers in our lives they will never have. So I think we should be allowed to do what is right for us and chose how we o it.

6. Kate Aquilino
    Kate Aquilino says:

Trinda, I acknowledge your rage. Chronic illness is a b**** and worse. And sometimes brings us to the edge. It’s always hard won but there’s a lot to be learned at that risky place. Sink into your rage. Look for the hidden (or not so hidden) lessons folded into the pain. Patience. Perseverance. Faith. Life is a journey. Ours is harder than most. Peace to you.

7. Casandra Hart says:

Lovely and so true. I made the choice yesterday when fear of my disability tried to cause me to panic and instead I decided to use it to make me more determined to keep fighting. I cried a bit which was again my choice but then made note of all my blessings and all those that love me and decided I was going to be okay and that even though I’m hurting, I will be okay. I didn’t stay in my pity party. I chose to think of better things and it helped me to push through the dark thoughts. Everything I did came down to choices. Thank you for sharing. I needed the encouragement today so so so much!

8. Trinda Wong says:

I disagree. I HATE being fearful & angry all the time. There isn’t a magic pill that I can take to suddenly stop feeling so much rage inside. I have the best healthcare team for my MS but in the middle of th night they can’t control my tears. I am not “choosing” how I feel. It’s not that simple!!

9. Jolie
    Jolie says:

The moment I read “You don’t have to smile…you choose to” I smiled. And now I can’t stop. Thank you for that. You reminded me that I can always choose to smile.

10. Leah
    Leah says:

I choose to get on with my life despite living with MS. There’s nothing I can do to cure it but I can find positive ways of coping with this chronic illness as best as I can…one being, to read your inspiring and at times witty blogs.:-))