What do you see?

I woke up early this morning…a usual for me. I do good if I get 4 hours of sleep each night. Between pain management and muscle spasms, I end up tossing and turning more than actually sleeping.

This morning I was feeling a bit down so I decided I would get dressed and head over to the local coffee shop. It always brightens my morning sitting in the shop listening to the hustle and bustle of the workers making drinks and serving people. Between the hissing and spewing of the machines, the wonderful smells of fresh roasted coffee beans, the chatter of the customers, and the rustling of chairs across the floor, it is oddly a great way to begin my day.

When you sit in public like this, you get the chance to listen in on all kinds of conversations. It’s not eaves dropping. When someone is talking loudly, you have all rights to listen in…besides, it’s not like you have any other options.

So far this morning, most of the conversations I have heard have been negatively focused. I have heard about a tyrant boss, a neighbors incessantly barking dog, many political woes, and relationship problems. Have you noticed the world has a negative slant on just about everything? Turn on the news if you don’t believe me. Almost all of it is bad.

We hear so much negative talk throughout our day, it’s no wonder we find ourselves following suit. It seems easy to find fault in the things happening around us and to point out all the problems we are going through.

But today…today, I am choosing to find positive things to focus on. For one, I woke up this morning. That’s amazing already. To add to that, the barista at the coffee shop knows my name and always has my drink ready for me when she sees me coming. That’s pretty awesome too if you ask me. So that’s already two wonderful things this morning that I can talk about.

Then there’s the fact that I get to see the sunrise since I’m up so early, I get to meet new people, give away a smile to someone needing a bit of cheeriness to begin their day, and of course enjoy a hot cup of coffee to begin mine. All those things make my heart happy.

I could focus on the vertigo I’m fighting through as I type this, the pain in my feet that never seems to stop, and the tremor in my right hand that’s making it hard for me to type or even hold a cup of coffee, but what good will that do?

There’s always something good to find in your day, you just have to choose to find it. Instead of pointing out all the bad things happening around you, find something that shines a light through the storm. Even with the storm winds blowing, the rain pounding, the waves crashing all around, there is something good in your day today. What are the good things surrounding you?

1. josephine regan
    josephine regan says:

I love positive people we all have so much to be grateful for .The sun has been shining here everyday this week it makes you feel so much better .Keep away from negitive people I have stopped watching the news it is all doom and gloom .

That’s good Penelope. I’d love to be able to go to the local cafe an just sit and enjoy the good and bad of life. Not having an income of any type and not allowed to drive has limited me from doing even that. I have received an email from an artist I have link with and a friend of her’s has shown there are good people in this world we never see. This lay stood from an hour in a open maul in a bikini, bucket and notice board. People were asked to write a message for any type on her body with a pen she provided.
    There were lots of messages and from the short video lots of hugs from men an women.She is not a slim character but still looks ok in this way.
    It just showed that not everyone is focused on the ‘body’ but the act. And I feel we should be accepted as well. I get annoyed when we are taken as ‘sick’ people and must be of a low level intelligence. Now that is wrong on many levels
    But I do agree there are a lot of people who only focus on the negativity they see and feel rather than see the positives of life. This unfortunately does only cover unwell people but a lot of ‘healthy’ people It could be said it’s a sign of the times but I believe that it has been going on for a long time.

3. Kate Aquilino
    Kate Aquilino says:

Thanks, Penelope. I have so much to be grateful for it’s hard to know where to begin. The workers at Dunkin’ Donuts know my name, too 😉 I am able to do more these days – which in turn requires more rest. When I return from a short trip next week, I will begin a new therapy of high vitamin d. Dr. Coimbra. Many have gone into remission to the point of forgetting they have ms. Back to gratitude. I’ll be a grandmother in two months! Never thought I’d live to see the day. I’m older than I ever thought I’d be! Just call me Mimi <3

4. Carla Broadbent Rogers
    Carla Broadbent Rogers says:

Yesterday as the evening was starting, I looked out my kitchen window to be greeted by a Huge smiling full moon. Safe feeling, that the night was going to have a warm smiling light for a few hours as the world slept. This morning, as I am sitting at my computer, I see that same Huge smiling moon, ready to start the night lighting the other half of the world. Peaceful feeling. Also it is Earth Day. Have a great day. Be well.

5. Michelle
    Michelle says:

I love your positive spirit. It has been a tough week and oh how I would love to sleep the day away today. But I still got out of bed and made the dreadful hour drive to work today and know that come 4:30pm today I will have one the battle of this week. I am proud of myself that I have pushed myself to pull through this week when I truly didn’t think I could. But I am here and it is beautiful outside and as much as I am crying on the inside if I were to focus on all that is going on with my body I choose to smile and work and pull through. Thank you my dear ms friend! You are a true inspiration. Have a blessed day!! TGIF!

6. Anne
    Anne says:

Yes, I choose to be positive and sincerely believe we do better with the progression of our MS if we are positive. I have made a point to remove those who are constantly negative from my life and I will sometimes go a few days with watching any news to keep the feeling out of my house.

7. joy renzelmann
    joy renzelmann says:

I am very Blessed to have found you or you finding me? Today is a much better day for me thank you Father. I love the story you wrote it gives me many ideas. I am a very positive person and I am learning that some people around don’t understand. I was not good with this because they did/do cause problems for me and my brain sometimes goes to that all the time. I am going to try very hard to stay who I am (doing) good at that and move on with the others. It hurts and makes me mad but I have FAITH that I will change this with the help of my Father.

8. Leah
    Leah says:

How cheerful! Well like you, I woke up early. I’ve decided to make a banana bread with left over bananas and a lemon loaf. Later today, my friend is coming over to visit so we’ll have these with our coffee. It’s Friday…the week end is near…I’ll be spending it with my best friend…my husband! These things…plus reading your blog have put a smile on my face and have given me a positive outlook for the day. Thank you:))