hero

You are a real hero

I am amazed at the amount of people that tell me I inspire them. I know you are probably reading this and thinking, “That’s crazy. How could she say that?” The reason I think like that is because I know I’m not anyone of great importance working in a large corporation with a corner office and my own name plate on the door.

I’m just someone who has been thrown a curve ball call Multiple Sclerosis in life and am completely void of titles, awards, trophies and medals of honor.

But when I really think about it and look back at all those in the past that inspired me, they weren’t dignitaries, generals, presidents or ambassadors. They were mothers, fathers, neighbors, teachers, coaches and friends. They were people who knew what it meant to be broken, experience pain, fail and fall apart, yet in spite of everything they faced in life they kept going with integrity and determined strength. They are my heroes.

Do you realize, just like them, you are a hero to many of the people in your life? Without you even being aware of it, people are watching you. Not to see you fall flat on your face, because we all know with MS that is not only possible but happens more times than we care to admit, and not to see you struggle, hurt, or face the impossible. They are watching you because they are inspired by the strength you carry with you.

You may feel like a failure, but to them you are a champion. The thing I have noticed about heroes is they don’t really know they are worthy of such a title. That’s what makes a hero a hero.

Today, know that people are watching you. Not to see you fail, but to see you do the impossible. To see how even though you endure tremendous pain, cry, and at times may even shake your fist in the air and scream, you keep going. To see you struggle yet still overcome.

You are a hero. You are someone that people look up to even if they never tell you they do. You are showing people how someone can make it through the terrible storms in life and truly survive the impossible.

Never forget that. Even on your worst day you are an inspiration because you prove that when faced with intense adversity, a person can keep going.

1. Sandra voitka
    Sandra voitka says:

Your ability to write and convey your thoughtss is a strength to me. Your words can drive me our of my inner pity. It also helps me to believe. I have worked for 32 years. Have been recently diagnosed with primary progressive at 53. Still work as an executive at a large corporation. Need some help to talk to someone. If you can help to connect me to someone I would greatly appreciate it . I have a 19 year old son and a 14 year old daughter. I am a married but so so worried about burdening my family. I am trying but need some help. I admire your ability to drive change in the day of others. I want to feel valuable again.

Hey that’s good thoughts. I thought about this (yes I can) and realised some little things that have happened to me.
    I have been on live TV for a plastic duck race I was organising and the TV company heard about it and invited me to speak on what it was for. So I had my 15 minutes of fame speaking (totally unprepared) on what Habitat for Humanity was doing. It was good and I am pleased with the interview. That was in the 80’s when I was part of the group who setup HfH in Christchurch(nz). This ‘Duck Race’ was a fund razer and we got $6’000 from it. And I have neet Millard Fuller when he came to Christchurch to see our progress and how we were doing.
    The other little thing is with the MIS416 trial I am the first in the world to have been treated. It felt weird at the time because I didn’t know what was going to happen, just as the company who made it had no idea as well so it was a trial of events. I am pleased that some others are getting good results from our mistakes and errors that occurred.
    I don’t think I have aspired to any great person. I respect their positions But never tried to be them. I had enough going on in my life to change to theirs. And I still do.

3. Robert Krone
    Robert Krone says:

I am pretty sure that’s sure that’s how my mom sees me based on what she said to me after my wife and I went out to lunch with my parents. I definitely don’t feel like one though, that’s for sure. I just feel like a burden to my wife and anyone else who helps me.

No one gets to see me cry since I have yet to cry due to my MS, even though it’s been nearly 10 years now. I’ve tried to cry multiple times, and I am sure it’d help with my depression, but I’ve never succeeded. Almost broke down when my first neurologist told me it looked like MS, but I was at work, so I held it in.

4. Heather Adsit says:

Real hero’s do the smallest things… but yet they change the lives of so many by those small things 🙂

Always remember those small things in life 🙂
    There what’s most important 🙂

As always… you said it well 🙂

To me.. I see you as a superstar 🙂

Keep being your awesome self 🙂

Love your way of looking at things 🙂

I know your a hero to many 😉

(Hugs)

5. Leah
    Leah says:

Saw my physiotherapist yesterday…it appears that my cane is no longer doing the job it’s supposed to do for me. My ‘posture’ when walking resembles the ‘tower of Pisa’, so I’m told. Now I require a ‘forearm crutch’ which should keep me standing upright and walking with a straighter posture. I may be a hero to some but I sure as hell don’t feel like it lately. Thanks for the pep talk.

6. Nancy
    Nancy says:

During the year after I was first diagnosed I ended up overwhelming myself with information which sort of made things worse. After about a year I finally realized I needed to focus on just a couple of those articles, and one of the things I chose to keep following was “Positive Living with MS” by Penelope Conway. You have a wonderful way of calming, enlightening and loving those you touch with your words. Thank you for being one of my heroes!