I need a nap

I had an aerobic exercise last night seeing that I spent it tossing and turning the entire time. I think that accounts for the reason I almost tripped over my blanket getting out of bed this morning. Somehow, in the middle of the night, I must have kicked it onto the floor. Either that, or we got into a fight and I put it there as punishment…only I must have done that during the few hours I actually slept because I don’t remember doing it.

I think I slept a total of 3 hours if you were to add up all the time I wasn’t watching the clock tick by. Boy, can I feel it too. Nights like that make for some really interesting days. You will find me yawning in the shower, as I work, and even as I eat. It’s funny how that happens. My days seem to always be filled with the longing to go to bed…and my nights are filled with my brain refusing to sleep. It just won’t shut itself off.

I guess you could say I don’t sleep…I just nap. I nap at 2 o’clock in the morning and at 3 o’clock in the afternoon. MS can be exhausting…more for some people than for others.

Make sure you take the time your body needs to rest and use that time to rest. Sometimes that means pausing in your day to lay your head down on your desk or in the break room, and other times it is a moment of quiet as you sit in your car all by yourself. It may even be a long pause locked away in the bathroom where no one can bother you.

Know that you are important enough to take that time. Life is moving at such lightning speed in today’s society and it seems to demand so much out of you that rest just doesn’t fit into the plan. Don’t buy into that lie. Rest is needed and more valuable than you realize. Press the pause button today and make the choice to be still in the middle of the day…just try not to snore too loud, or drool.

1. Dinah Dowell Ostenso says:

It’s important to pause and rest when needed but your brain and body do the job of healing during sound sleep. Your body does not heal itself during “rest.” So it’s even more important to address the sleep issue. Make sure your room temperature is 66 degrees or lower before heading to bed. Try to be in bed by 10 pm. Turn the overhead lights in your home off when the sun sets so that your body can start to make melatonin. Set up a stretching and relaxation routine. Use calming and sleep supporting essential oils as the sun starts to set and diffuse them in your bedroom. Don’t drink caffeine or eat sugar past noon. Don’t eat meals past 7 pm (your body works hard to digest your food which creates energy which disrupts sleep). Dont drink a lot of fluid past 8 pm. Create a simple yet positive affirmation to repeat to yourself if you awake with racing thoughts. “All is Well” works great. Good luck! Give your body the chance it needs to sleep soundly and rebalance itself for health.

• Positive Living with MS - Multiple Sclerosis says:

Thanks for the information. Just keep in mind that many people with MS are dealing with things that disrupt sleep no matter the environment. Many, myself included, face breathing difficulties, uncontrollable muscle spasms and twitches, seizures, bladder issues and pain which greatly disrupt sleep. So we rest when we can, sleep when we can, and yet still live a positive and fulfilled life in spite of the difficulties. xoxo

I know what you are writing about.. My sleep patterns are S Bd as yours but without the tossing of the bedclothes I have had some weird dreams lately and I don’t know why. But all night long parties do have a good reason to being there. It has helped me deal with the lack of sleep.

3. Mary
    Mary says:

4 to 5 hours of sleep sounds wonderful! I get 1 to 2 if I’m lucky. It’s been like this for over10 years. You just get used to it. I would love to hear any suggestions on how you nap during the day 😴

• Penelope Conway
      Penelope Conway says:

Don’t really have any suggestions. I just tend to fall asleep when I can. Because I no longer work due to my disease progression, I spend my days at home most of the time. That gives me a bit of an open schedule to sleep when I know I can. I do try to make sure I have things quiet and the temperature in the house comfortable for me. I wish I had a better solution. xoxo

4. Karen Grant Grocock says:

My sleep in the night is fragmented, average is 4 to 5 hours a night, and it is usually interrupte. Often I wake up, and am already feeling very fatigued. Can make facing the day challenging.

5. CamnJoe Schimmel says:

I have been up since 530 am n I got the laundry together. Yesterday I had a great day I cleaned the bathroom and the kitchen Monday. I know I’m going to be paying the price but I have a problem with sitting for a while my legs get all stiff and tingly so I do putzie things then. I get 5 to 6 hrs of sleep and it’s not new it’s been awhile since I got good sleep 🙁

6. Nic Hibbs says:

Yes and as I’m getting out of bed I’m fantasising about getting back in again, the warmth, the snuggly pillows….yawn, well I’m off to try and get some more sleep right now as it’s 10:35pm here in south Australia.

7. Jolie
    Jolie says:

I always say that I had bedtime but I love sleeping. My brain never wants to shut off either, and my legs are always hopping and jumping all over the place. Oh, but sleep is so beautiful!

8. Leah
    Leah says:

Due to the medication I take to help with my spasticity, I find myself napping twice a day…once around 10:00am and then again around 4:30 in the afternoon. If I don’t take this medication I’m stiff as a board and boy does it knock me out! I go to bed at 11pm but only start to fall asleep at 2:30am. I can relate to what you’re talking about. Now, I’m off to have my ‘cup of joe’ to keep me going till 10:00am.

• Penelope Conway
      Penelope Conway says:

I understand how that ends up working. Some of the meds I take make me sleepy as well. I’m with you…seems coffee is my go to that helps me at least stay awake as much as possible during the day when I know I need to. xoxo