thread

Hanging by a thread

I have come through many days feeling emotionally as if I were hanging by a thread. That kind of feeling can be scary and so very real. It’s hard to talk about things like that with someone who isn’t where you are in the middle of MS and life.

Those worn out, overwhelming emotions can cause a person to grow weary and make it incredibly difficult to see tomorrow because they block all possibilities of happiness today.

Sometimes you have to get back to the basics in order to make it through the pain you are facing today. Think of your day like this…

Every cell in your body is fighting to survive right now. Your strength may be waining, but your heart is beating and you have breath. Can you feel it? Breathe in. Breathe out. It’s a new day and a new chance for something good to happen. Sure, life is hard, but no matter what you are going through today, believe that things are going to be okay.

MS is not the end of your life. I know how alone you feel. I know how much life sucks when you are faced with such a monster as MS. You probably feel like an iceberg drifting along in a vast open ocean. It’s freezing cold and you are the only one hearing the cracking of the ice beneath you. But look there, below the surface. There are layers and layers of strength holding you up. You are not going to sink in the waters. You are a survivor!

I want you to know that not only are you going to get through this, but you are going to live again. You will feel more joy than you thought ever possible. You will. You really will.

You may walk with a limp, talk with a slur and hang onto walls for support, but you are going to be okay. You may cry more than you thought possible and the load may be hard to carry, but you’re strong. So very strong!

When you feel like the world is crashing in around you, know that I’ve been there too along with thousands of others. You’re going to get through this. You can do it. You ARE doing it…one breath at a time!

1. Hayley
    Hayley says:

Thank you for your inspirational words Penelope. I started what I thought was only a temporary split but soon discovered that after ten great years I had sneakily been easily replaced, & another face was ‘now’ sitting at my table! That day a black coffee was my friend. Just a simple black coffee, that’s all it took. Boom!
    I’ve been living a single life ever since & I’d be lying if I said I love it because on occasions I do struggle with life but I know I’m not alone. Reading your words just reassured me ;).
    I hope this makes sense to everyone other than just to me! Thank you so much Xx

2. Kellie
    Kellie says:

My brother is 53, progressive MS and lives in a nursing home as his wife was unable to care for him at home any longer.
    He’s legally blind, in a wheelchair and is very depressed lately. This article is wonderful. I plan on reading it to him.
    I know he feels very isolated and alone although his siblings visit him frequently. Just joined this page. Will be looking through for more info.

3. Julia Bradley says:

Hi Rose stem cells treatment is still at trial stage but you can put your name down for it, my ms nurse didn’t encourage me personally as I’m doing quite well at the moment. She did also point out that the chemo will make you very poorly and some types you can only have one course of so if you do ( god forbid) need chemo later in life for cancer you may not be able to have it if speak to your nurse for advice xx

4. Rev. Tammie L. Hartsock
    Rev. Tammie L. Hartsock says:

Thank-You – I needed this as a Reminder that No Matter how Much MS is Horribly Hurting Me Physically, I still can Communicate with Others & Tell Them about Jesus & Give Them Hope & Be a Blessing to Someone & Be Blessed too !!!

I haven’t felt that side of MS but have recently that my earlier days of MS was like a bad dream an I’ve just realized that some things had happened I had no input that I should have had. It’s a strange feeling that things went on I had nothing to do with them so what was I doing?

6. Tricia Williams says:

So… You made me cry again at your beautiful words, you need to stay out of my head. There is not enough room for you & all the MS junk. You will only get caught up in it and trip over…& breath…

7. Lucy
    Lucy says:

So easy to say. I have MS 22 years, and tried the positivity approach all these years and still progressing no matter what I do. Sometimes you just shake your head and say what next?

• Houda Alijate
      Houda Alijate says:

My friend told me about it, my parents suggested talking to my neurologist about it… I read a lot about it, apparentely it’s very effective, but they have to check if it would work for you before proceeding with it…

8. Fran
    Fran says:

It feels as if you are in my head. Thank you. Fighting with all my might today to hang on to that thread. When life and MS collide and you know you need to slow down and you can’t. Your words help so much. Thanks for making a difference in my life today.

9. Evelien
    Evelien says:

God, I would love the world around me to understand what you describe here. I has me in tears…