You are my sunshine

This week has been a hectic and crazy week for me. I have experienced every emotion imaginable from happiness to tears, from resentment to discouragement, from laughter to fear. It’s amazing the kinds of emotions that surface during the different stages of an MS progression.

Diagnosis emotions for me were different than the ones that showed up when my legs quit working, which are different than the ones I’m experiencing today. But one thing that has helped me through each rough patch in my life is YOU. Knowing that there are others facing the same monster as me makes everything less scary and much easier to handle.

Each week when the nurse comes to my house to check on me, I am determined to keep going knowing that you are also facing challenges of your own. And although your challenges are different than mine and may seem insurmountable for you, you are doing it too…which means that together WE are doing it. We are pushing through the pain and the difficulties in our day as we search for that little bit of sunshine in the middle of the darkness.

You do know the sun is shining up there behind those dark clouds, don’t you? It never actually disappears. It just slips out of focus from time to time making our days rather interesting, to say the least. But hidden behind the darkest of storms and the dreariest of days is a brilliant beaming sunshine. You may not see it, but it’s up there.

Sometimes if you look really hard, you can see a bit of it peaking out. Those little glimpses of sunlight are what I call hope. They are reminders to me that the storm I’m in won’t last forever…and neither will yours.

No tsunami, tornado, hurricane, or thunderstorm in this world’s existence has ever continued going forever. Every storm has an end. EVERY ONE! Some may last longer than others, but you are going to come through the storm you are facing. And you will be carrying greater compassion, understanding, wisdom and strength because of it.

Don’t let the darkness keep you from searching for those glimpses of hope…hope for a better tomorrow, hope for a better today, hope for a better moment. No matter what is happening right now, always remember that this to shall pass…and that you are going to make it.

1. Marcene
    Marcene says:

Seriously Penelope you are that rare breed of person who gives to others when you yourself are in crisis. I like your style and check in from time to time to feed from your positivity which has led to my getting back on track and getting on with it. So thankyou – which seems not enough – but will have to do. I envy your personal friends and family you are a gem. You carry the burden everyday of your MS and still have heart enough to help others carry theirs. A ‘special’ girl are you!

2. Maureen Fairhurst
    Maureen Fairhurst says:

I’ve never had a support system or anyone who knew what I am feeling on a day to day basis. I find following you on Twitter and every one of your tweets help me make it thru my day. Thank you Penelope ❤

This really makes the song “Look On The Bright Side Of Life” mean so much.Ok we’re not on the cross at Jerusalem with Brian an co., but we have problems that require our attention all the time. Over here we are in winter but the sun is shining and it’s not cold as last year. There is a lot that needs to be done around here and I do little bit when I can.
    I think we all need a bit of ‘Sunshine’ in our lives to make us feel alive not in a bad dream

4. shari
    shari says:

You are such an inspiration, and it seems the right post always apears at the time when I need it most. I wish everything you put out there with this blog bounces right back at you, that you can feel all the love that people want to give back to you and your brave writing. Thank you so much.

This morning I came across the funeral write up of a friend who died of cancer a year ago, she was such a positive person, my friends and I had sung this song You Are My Sunshine to her, when she was quite ill. Her family later had the song written out on the tribute card for her funeral and I just Ihappened upon the card this morning as I was cleaning; all to say I came downstairs to check my email and here was your post with this very song, it remineded me of her courage and the positive way she lived her life, it felt like she was sending me a little reminder on the tail of your post as well, she lived her life very much like you live yours. Thank you so much.

• Joy
      Joy says:

I helped my my best as long as they could endure the cancer and like your friend he was making jokes to the very end.. I lost my dad the year before and then him. They both showed me to live and love life while you can no matter what is going on… So after losing both of them, I put down life all together and ran.
      I never took the time to understand MS all the years before. But it stopped me in 2013 and now I am a mess.. But happy to say I know this and have been working on it for the last year and half.
      It was time to stop running and find the new Joy..
      I am very great full for this site and all the insights you share with us. It helps me to keep moving and not stop and give up. That’s what I was doing for so many years..
      To let peace in and to let go of what I want from other’s or how I want to feel today.. Is all up to me to stop looking back at all that I feel more should have been given to me now and then from other’s. Yes a very long and angry waiting time.. I have had MS since I was very young lost control of my legs in my early 20’s but they had no clue what it was. 2001 I finally lost the vision in my right eye and took over 6 mn to come back. Know cared.. Maybe it was God saying Joy you need to care first.

Joy

5. Liz Gordon says:

☀️
    This is how your page makes me feel.
    Everyone here knows we have a place to go on those up and down days.
    We all say ‘thank you’, but I really hope that you find as much comfort, support and motivation as you provide for us!

6. Deb H Brewer says:

Thanks for sharing . While growing up; my mom always sang that songYou are my Sunshine to me. Months ago I started keeping a motivational journal called Miracle Morning. It helps me focus and plan.

7. Shannon Powell says:

You’re amazing. We know that roller coaster very well. I’m trying to avoid that “amusement” park but I just can’t seem to stay away. Thank you for all your daily encouragements. Love ya

8. Melanie Cutts says:

There is no way that I could remain ‘positive’ and strong without having your posts to read. You are my inspiration and although I am in the UK and you are in the US it seems some days that we are living parallel lives. I have only been diagnosed officially for 2 years but my monster appears to have been with me for at least 20 yrs before it decided that I had ignored it for long enough. I refuse to be beaten and with your support and the support of army of others on this site I know I will be okay. THANK YOU xx

9. Monica Schamberger says:

Thank You Penelope, you bring the sun shine to so many that you have touched. Ups and downs we are in this together. It is cloudy here right now, but I’m looking for that ray of hope thanks to you. God’s Blessings to you.

10. Nicky
    Nicky says:

You have helped me see the positive in everything, instead of my old reaction of wallowing in self pity! As my legs stop working, my colleagues and I have learned to laugh about it and come up with ways I may be able to get around and still be ‘useful’!
    Thank you for continuing to be my ray of sunshine.

11. Leah
    Leah says:

It’s cloudy and grey here today, but I know that I’m not alone…today you are my ray of sunshine. Have a really nice day Penelope and thank you for your words of encouragement…they really made a huge impact on me this morning.😊

12. Irene Robinson says:

And you have helped me! You have made me laugh.. You have posted things that have helped me..and others.. To understand this dreaded disease… Thank you!!!