A wet sock kind of day

I hate getting my socks wet

I woke up this morning to a water leak. I wheeled myself into the kitchen to make my coffee and wouldn’t you know it, my brother had put my coffee filters on an upper shelf in the cabinet so I had to stand up to reach them. Sometimes people forget that we can’t do everything like they do. It’s not their fault, it’s just a part of life.

It was then that I noticed the leak. I didn’t see the puddle on the floor or hear any water dripping, I realized there was a leak because my socks got wet as I stepped on the floor. And I absolutely hate it when my socks get wet. That’s one of my crazy pet peeves. I don’t like wet socks, people snapping their gum or the smell of cabbage cooking. I know, I know…I’m weird.

The unexpected happens though, doesn’t it? Sometimes it can be really sneaky and creep up on us, but it happens. Each day is a journey into the unknown. One day you may wake up and discover the sun shining and the next day find yourself sucked into a tornado as life spins out of control. It can even happen minute to minute rather than day to day too. That’s just how life is. Add Multiple Sclerosis into the mix and it becomes an outright adventure.

We have gone through our entire existence up until this point in time knowing that each day is unique and filled with change. We try to find ways to predict those changes, but even the weatherman gets it wrong most of the time. Living with MS is no different.

One day you may wake up with a new symptom starting to develop…but you may not. You may notice numbness increasing…but you may not. You may feel more weakness…but you may not. Just as with life, MS changes day to day, and sometimes minute to minute.

When you are newly diagnosed, that can be a scary thing to face. Change isn’t easy. But as time passes you begin to find a routine. A routine in change. As strange as that sounds, you do. You find that even though today you may discover a new symptom or an enhanced sense of weakness, you still have an entire day ahead of you to live.

This morning, don’t focus on the symptoms…look for the rainbow. All storms have them if you know where to look. Put your rain boots on and go splash in the puddles. Find something to smile about. Do something you enjoy. You might get your socks wet in the process, but that’s all just a part of living.

Don’t fret too much about it Penelope. Just recently I have had a bad problem with my bowels, everything just turned to mush and I exploded before I got to the loo. But after help from Janice and a shower I was a lot better so I figure it was MS as I had no different input from food or drink before it ll happened.. It was a lot messy but I am please that it cleared up
    So we have to put up with a lot of s*** but we’re still alive and that is important!

2. Mary
    Mary says:

Some days, it’s awful hard to find the rainbow. Unfortunately today is one of those days hopefully tomorrow will be better

3. Jackie
    Jackie says:

Thank you so much for your blog. My husband was having so many different symptoms, thinking it was his diabetes. He went through many tests and was diagnosed with MS. I am his caregiver and read many things to educate ourselves about MS and to make each day easier for him. I try to be positive every day and think how blessed I am to be healthy. It is difficult at times when the one with MS is not having a good day or days and as caregiver you keep trying to stay positive. I continue to keep positive and inspired with reading your blogs and the comments and sending hugs and smiles and blessings to everyone!

• Sandra voitka
      Sandra voitka says:

I am sure you are awesome support for your husband. Would love to hear more. It is tough for my family with my MS and I can tell that they are frustrated. My mother was a caregiver for my father. I often feel that it is not fair for them. I know life is not fair but I never relied on others. Now I feel I am not entitled. I need to get over this…Thanks for listening.

4. Tessie
    Tessie says:

Thank you for your posts. My daughter was diagnosed with MS a couple of years ago. It helps me, in a small way, to understand what she may be feeling, experiencing, thinking, etc. I can only imagine how hard it must be for her and everyone else fighting MS, so thank you!

5. Linda Krupa Quinion O'Connell
    Linda Krupa Quinion O'Connell says:

I’m fortunate. My hubby is very understanding and helps me as much as he can. Also my daughter and granddaughter help out. I get scared when I wake up wondering how I’ll feel. I am kinda numb on my left side today and dizzy. Does anyone get dizzy? This is new for me. And I am going into panic mode. Thank you Penelope for your inspiration.❤❤❤

6. Jana
    Jana says:

My husband has decided that he wants to divorce me as he finds dealing with my life and ms too hard! I have ms not him! Gosh I wish I was that lucky! Ha! Bad time for me. Has anyone else experienced that sort of rejection and how did they stay positive?

• Kelly
      Kelly says:

Jana, yes, I experienced the same thing and still do. I just try to concentrate on something totally and completely different, like studying and making other friends. I have a master’s and still get upset now and then, but I do have a master’s. So that helps me think more positive about myself now and then.

• Tessie
      Tessie says:

Dear Heavenly Father,
      We lift up to You any relationship that is severed, separated, depressed, or burdened. There are many couples dealing with such heavy issues such as infidelity, financial insecurity, violence, abuse, or mistrust. Their hearts are broken in pieces and hope may be dwindling. We pray that You meet them where they are. Holy Spirit please comfort them, restore them, fill their hearts with hope for better days. Strengthen their faith and stir up confidence. We pray for the abusers, oppressors, liars, cheater, and irresponsible asking that You would humble them, give them understanding, and change them. Restore these couples and bring newness to their life. Show them how to rebuild on Your foundation. We hope and pray for reconciliation and that those who experience a reconnection, would approach life through Your ways, loving and respecting their spouse in Jesus name AMEN!

• Jill
      Jill says:

Jana, my husband (the love of my life) also decided to divorce me because I can’t do many of the physical things I used to be able to do (like biking, hiking, etc.). He could never understand why my ms kept progressing no matter what I did. I’ve been crushed. I’ve had many more tears about my marriage than about having ms. I never used to have to think about being positive…I just was. Now, in addition to dealing with my ms world of uncertainty, it takes effort to stay positive. One way is to connect with others…like enjoying Penelope’s posts!

• Rodger Ashton-Smith

That’s not very considerate of him. He should be looking after you not pushing you away.

• Jana
        Jana says:

Thank you Jill for your wonderful words. I am a positive person so have to work a bit harder at the moment. It will all work out in the end I hope.

• Jana
        Jana says:

Thank you Rodger for your kind words. I agree totally with you but he doesn’t seem to!

• Meeya
      Meeya says:

Dearest Jana,
      Same thing happened to me exactly 1 year ago. I was absolutely devastated and didn’t know if I’d ever get over it… And here I am now, alone (which does NOT equal “lonely”!) but happier than ever before. Because I learnt my lesson -and I trust you will realise the same thing soon: you are much stronger than you think possible right now – and you’re much better off without a partner who is too weak to go all the way together with you!
      Have your weak moments, cry and despair for a while – but start anew, by trusting your own strength!!!
      Big hugs from a fellow traveller 🙂