Land of Nod

Is it time for bed yet?

I can remember a time in my life when I would stay awake for days just because I could. I pulled all-nighters at least twice a week for no real reason using the time to spend with friends, hang out at Steak ‘n Shake (the only restaurant in town open all night), and watch reruns of Doctor Who. Life was simple then.

I think sleep is paying me back now for all those hours we missed together. I find myself waking up in the morning ready to take a nap, and then when I do nap, I’m ready for another one as soon as I get up from that one. It’s a weird and crazy cycle…sleeping to sleep.

As a kid I was always told we needed at least 8 hours of sleep. Lately, I’m lucky to get 8 hours awake. I have been known to fall asleep in some of the oddest places too: at the dinner table as my head slowly drops into my plate of food (I haven’t done that is awhile though), at the bookstore as I’m chillin’ in a chair skimming through a book, and even on the toilet just doing…well, you know.

My eyes will get heavy and I find myself thinking, “I just need to shut my eyes for a second.” But as soon as they shut I am instantly transported to another world. It’s a wonderful world, a place where Multiple Sclerosis doesn’t exist and anything can happen. I have been known to fly and have even tiptoed throughout the tulips and danced with leprechauns. One day I actually discovered I could dance better than Michael Jackson. Crazy, huh? Especially since I can’t even walk.

I’ve been visiting there quite a bit lately; this land of sleep. Maybe you have too. It sure makes my awake time that much more valuable since I have less time to get things done.

And don’t feel bad if you are experiencing the opposite and can’t fall asleep no matter how hard you try. That can be just as miserable, but in a different way. Wow, a life with MS is as unpredictable as the weather. Sleep, no sleep…Ugh!

Just remember to be good to yourself through it all. Yes, you are that important.

I think my bed is calling to me. I can actually hear it humming my favorite song…Zzzzzzz. Me and sleep, sleep and me, we have become the best of friends.

I am pleased you can sleep. I have a problem that I am not sleeping when I nee to. My MS is playing with me an causing spastic moves, inching my foot and the other leg, putting pain through my e=amage elbows an giving me strange feelings to stop me sleeping. I have some sleeping pills and they o work so zi will be getting more so I can sleep when I nee to. I on’t like getting up at 11:30 am after going to be at 11:00pm. It’s not me at all, I only nee 6 to 8 hours but it’s got hard recently. I have also had a bad fall yesterday night when I tried to move when almost asleep an my right leg fell asleep on me on the tiled floor.Rather hard.
    But I am still alive and that is ok.

2. Roland Clarke
    Roland Clarke says:

So agree. Nod off on the strangest places. Then dream wonderful things too…well except where I forget where I left the car. (No longer drive!!)

3. Amy Sparks
    Amy Sparks says:

I keep the strangest hours because of my MS. I tend to get inspired to do something when everyone else is heading to bed. I love my afternoon nap.

I think your dreams are great. My favorite dreams are the ones where I’m running. It is great to have a realm where I can do anything.

4. Karen Grant Grocock says:

This is so true, and accurate. I struggle with insomnia (as many of us with MS can), and even though I have been sleeping better lately, I still wake up feeling exhausted right after getting up too often. The MS fatigue seems to be my worst symptom, it can be so physically and mentally exhausting

5. Joy Renzelmann says:

I have always taken naps from little on and even with a good nights sleep I was always very tired at school.. I believe I got something after having a fever of 102 – 103 for a week before going to the hospital.

6. Gary Greer says:

This describes me to a tee! Especially the face plant at the dinner table! I find that just reading can render me unconscious within minutes.
    Some days I swear I could fall asleep on a roller coaster!

7. Nicola Lantsbery says:

Every day I find myself sitting to rest more than getting up to do ! Even a shower I have to psych myself up for don’t enjoy nothing it’s so exhausting most people just can’t or won’t understand angry and frustrated most of the time because of my limitations. As people can’t visibly see any problems until you try to do something they think your fine.

8. Jolie
    Jolie says:

First, I LOVE Doctor Who. Second, I always tell anybody with MS, “Splurge on an awesome mattress. You’re going to be there a lot!”

9. Terri Graybill Sampson says:

I get up just to lay on the couch all day. Most of the time I sleep until my husband gets home from work. I am so tired all of the time. I don’t know how I made it at work before I retired in June.

10. Jessica Hoppe says:

I just woke up and my legs are very tight and sore. Walked around for a little and now I am back in bed. Thinking I may just stay here all day. No more walking today

11. Jodi Mcmahan says:

Yes very true get up for a few minutes and get exhausted than have to lay back down, I always think well when I get back up what I’m going to do and I find myself back in bed