sunshine

When it rains, it pours

It’s been raining here, which is great for the grass and trees but not so much for me. I don’t like getting out in this kind of weather. It takes too much preparation; more than usual. I have to be extra cautious of where I maneuver my chair, the clothes I wear and the places I park. It’s not so easy making your way through a rainy, puddle filled parking lot in a wheelchair while attempting to hold onto an umbrella.

And the roads…the people on the roads drive crazy. Have you noticed? You would think a storm would slow them down, but for some reason it makes people drive even faster.

Just get me home snuggled up in my favorite chair, wearing my comfy PJs, and I love storms. I enjoy drifting off to sleep to the sound of the rain hitting the roof of the house. It has a soothing effect and lulls me to sleep even when I’m so tired I can’t get to sleep.

Storms in our life hit us the same way. When we are in the middle of the mess we don’t like it very much, especially if we have to get out and wade through the mud and puddles. It’s not easy trying to maneuver through financial difficulties on the way to your sons soccer game, or figure out how to juggle Multiple Sclerosis along with taking care of your family, or deal with the unexpected house repair on top of an oil leak in your car, or figure out how to work a full-time job while exhausted, fatigued and in constant pain.

If your life is anything like mine, life’s storms seem to come all at once too. You end up getting hit with tsunamis, tornadoes, earthquakes and hurricanes all at the same time. You don’t know whether to hide in your bathtub, under the dinning room table, in your closet or under the bed.

Yet even though the storms keep raging, the winds keep blowing and the ground keep shaking, there is always a place to ride out the storm. For me, I need time to myself away from the chaos and noise of other peoples opinions, chatter and constant static in order to clear my head and put my life into perspective. Sure, life is hard. I will be the first to admit that, but I have noticed that without the storms I face in life, I wouldn’t know what a beautiful day was.

When I pause to look at all my troubles, I find that even though there have been some really awful times I have been through…none were impossible. I always know deep inside that I will get through them just like I have gotten through every struggle I’ve ever faced in times past. Is it easy? Absolutely not, but I make it through. I have to remind myself of that from time to time.

I may never be able to stop the storms from coming, but I can hunker down with others like me and find a place to pause and rest. Together we can get through anything. Together we can face the worst of the worst and still find a bit of sunshine to warm our days. You are going to make it through these tough times. I promise you that.

Step out of the rain, the wind and the puddles, and rest from your worries today. Do something just for you. Get a manicure, treat yourself to a movie, eat a piece of cheesecake, take a long shower to clear your head, sing your favorite song at the top of your lungs, or take a much needed nap. Then when the storm passes, take a deep breath an relish in the pause. Sometimes they come too infrequently. That’s why we have to cherish them when they come. Many times that’s the only bit of sanity we get.

Just always remember that storms will come and can get quite overwhelming but they won’t last forever. You are stronger than any storm. Hang in there.

1. Jackie
    Jackie says:

I know exactly how every one feels, It is nice when the storm has passed and easy sailing takes it place. My only problem is I get complacent enjoying the smooth sailing that I forget to prepare for the upcoming storms and are blindsided every time. Guess that’s what I get for living in the moment.

All life seems to be stormy an rouge if you let it.But on’t let the beast under your be or on your shoulder take over. It’s one enough damage already an need not to do more. Over here it’s after mid-winter but strangely it’s still sunny and that is wier. We have had a few days of rain and that is all so I’m not looking out for summer
    However the storms of life need to be delt with and diminished away when you can so they don’t tie you up.
    At this time it is good to have a group of friends available to help you cope. It doesn’t matter whether you are sick or not but it is a basic need of everyone that has sometimes forgotten.

3. Angela Kirby
    Angela Kirby says:

The message which accompanied the email for this PL posting, Penelope, brought out my emotional sunshine. Thank you! Now to read your latest positive thoughts on living with MS…..

• Penelope Conway
      Penelope Conway says:

Aww, thanks Angela. It’s always my hearts desire to let everyone know how incredibly amazing they are and that I’m standing with you in the fight. So thankful to be able to spread a little sunshine… xoxo

4. Doug Wineburner
    Doug Wineburner says:

I’ve lost both mom and dad already just my brother and me at home
    I sit in this house all day at times get bored not having anyone o talk to in person I do get my therapist 3x a week and he has taken me out on Saturdays to places like target cosco on Tuesdays my 1 brother runs me to wal mart to look at new releases and all but he just drops me off and I call when done brings me home then leaves
    that’s why I went back to doing my jigsaw puzzles and post pictures on facebook for others to see
    I even told others if they see one they like I can put it back together take and get glued and framed and then sent to you if you give me your address these puzzles are 1000 piece and panoramic ones are either 750 or 1000 pieces I would sell the puzzle to you to give me earning for the cost of getting glued framed and maybe time doing it some take longer than others just depends on the puzzle as to what it all is I also do al my puzzles without putting the frame pieces around til last well hope everyone is ok I will ttyl.

• Penelope Conway
      Penelope Conway says:

Thankful you have puzzles. I absolutely love puzzles myself as well. They are both therapeutic and keep me busy, especially when I can’t do much else. I love how you have turned it into a way to help others. Keep up the great work. You are amazing! xoxo

• Jackie
      Jackie says:

I know how it feels to be isolated, why don’t u check into church groups or social services, alot of them off group activities and will come pick you up and bring u back home. keep the faith.

5. Lori
    Lori says:

It has been one thing after another since October. As soon as I would finish one problem, another would drop in my lap. Yet, here I am, and each of them have passed. It is what is. Not to say I always handle them well at the time, but I can always look back and say I survived the storm.

6. Chris
    Chris says:

Amen!! A wise friend once told me you are either in a storm, just out of a storm or preparing for a storm. But we learn so much from the storm! You are so spot on with you don’t know what a beautiful day is if you have not been in a storm!
    Thank you Penelope for your wisdom and positive words !!
    Blessings,
    Chris

7. Mary E Slavik
    Mary E Slavik says:

Thank you so much for this post!! Right now I really needed these words of encouragement. The storms have been nasty lately. I have a saying posted in my room that reads, ” Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it”s about learning to dance in the rain”. Goes well with your post. Again, thank you!

8. Leah
    Leah says:

I just faced a nasty storm last week with the passing of a close family member. I was ‘quick on my feet’…so to speak, to take along my wheel chair, as standing to greet people in a funeral parlour can be exhausting. This horrible storm has now passed and today is a new day…the sun is shining. I think I’ll sit outside on our terrace, look at a magasine and enjoy a refreshing glass of ice tea.:)