Dear Multiple Sclerosis

A letter to MS

Dear Multiple Sclerosis,

You pushed your way into my life at a time when things were going great. Future plans were in place and I was working hard to make them a reality. As you weaseled your way in, you shoved me to the side; blindsiding me and forcing me off the path I was on.

All attempts to make you leave failed. Family members, friends, neighbors and even strangers tried, but you stood your ground refusing to go. I kicked, screamed, punched…but you weren’t phased at my futile attempts to wear you down. You simply dug your heels in deeper, folded your arms and awkwardly grinned.

You made me feel like a prisoner. Why did you choose me? What did I do? Where did you even come from? My questions were left unanswered. All I got in return were more unanswered questions and heartaches.

MS, I want you to know that you are not welcome here. If you so desperately need a place to lay your head, there’s a doghouse out back filled with fleas and spiders that you can have. I think the roof leaks too. Seems a perfect fit for someone like you. And if you get hungry, you can eat from the dog’s bowl munching on moldy, outdated dog food. I hope it makes you sick and die.

I am writing this letter to let you know that you will not win. I am stronger than you give me credit for. If you plan to keep up this fight—if you continue holding me prisoner—I will never back down. I will keep swinging. I will keep getting back up. I will keep fighting.

You do not have the final say in my life. I determine my future, not you. So bite me…

Signed,
An MS Warrior

That’s a go analogy for MS Penelope. He’s the beast on your back ans the beast under your bed. I know him an he has done the same to me. It’s nice to know he won’t win but get better in the final time.
    I am going to our hospital this afternoon to get y eyes checked for cataracts removal to give me better sight. This is not a MS problem and can be fixed so I am happy o see it happen.
    I hope your new house is goo for you and things are well.

2. June
    June says:

I fooled my ms….it meant harm for me, but I so welcomed the time I now have to rest. I was so tired. I was a workaholic.I remember trying to walk a straight line after working a 12 hour shift. I thought it was all in my head…mind over matter. Every day I remember I have ms & it is a challenge, but consider myself lucky: I am still walking. I can still dress myself. I have no pain. I can love my family & pray for them. There’s not much energy for much, but when I am feeling fair, I use my time having quiet time & reading God’s word. It’s a puzzle, why ms? Why me? Why now? But I know God did not cause this, but He will use it for good. My job is to just to work on believing. Ms thought it would give me a devastating lethal blow, but instead it just brought me closer to my God.

3. Doug Wineburner
    Doug Wineburner says:

what got me before I knew I had ms was my myasthenia gravis disease. I was fine got up went to work then that afternoon out of no where I was walking legs went weak and I fell at work.
    then after getting tests all done they said I had ms but also had myasthenia gravis disease. so then at first could walk with cane then had to go to walker now in a powerchair. so here I am stuck can’t drive or do what I did so I just go day by day doing what I can.

4. Meeya
    Meeya says:

Have you ever tried giving your MS a name..? Somehow makes the contact more “personal” – you could then address your letter e.g. to Mike Sh___head (just an idea, feel free to improvise 😉), and curse him/ her directly…!
    Try it – believe me, it’s great fun.
    Your letter inspired me to take this idea further than before – thanks again!!

5. Robin Francis says:

Love this one . MS as been apart of my life for 28 years and you’ve not won yes you have taken things away from me and will continue too but sorry you are not the winner I am .my life if full of joy love and I control my destiny not you as I will always remain happy and loved

6. Leslie Beaver says:

True. And I myself do not see this as a battle. In the sense that a battle has an element of choice. Whereas we most certainly did not chose this. But we will not succumb meekly. Difficulties will be met and overcome. Shoulders squared, eyes front. Advance!