You can’t give up

Life is not always full of rainbows and sunshine. It’s not all puppy dogs and lollipops. I have found over the years that it can be cruel and downright painful. It can be filled with heartaches and headaches. It has this crazy ability to knock you off your feet and leave you in a puddle on the floor. You then have the task of picking up all the pieces and making sense of everything.

Most of the time, as you begin putting your life back together, you discover that you can’t seem to find all the pieces. Some of the pieces get lost, some are found broken and some can’t be repaired. You sit there holding onto the fragments of days gone by wondering, “Is this really my life now?”

There have been times in my life when I felt the overwhelming weight of tragedy pulling me down. I have experienced the huge blows life has thrown my way as it snuck up and hit me with a left jab and an uppercut. It seems that no matter how tough someone is, life keeps coming and punching and jabbing. It doesn’t care if you’re rich or poor, what nationality you are, where you came from or who you know.

I have been knocked around enough to know that you can’t give life the satisfaction of bringing you down. You have to get up and never give up. You may be in tears as you rise, you may be in pain, you may feel hopeless and worthless, you may be shaking in your boots, but don’t let your feelings dictate who you are or where you’re going. Don’t let the pain of today hold you back from tomorrow.

You are a winner and winners take life, along with all the “stuff” thrown their way, and refuse to quit. Winners get up, brush off the dirt, hold their head high and keep on living.

You are that kind of winner. You can’t give up on living today. I know sometimes things can be extremely hard to deal with. I understand the depth of pain you are facing with MS. I know about the tears that no one else sees. You are not alone in this fight.

Don’t focus so much on MS and the problems it brings with it. There’s a whole world out there waiting to be explored and experienced. Yes, MS will be there with you, but don’t let it lead you. You be the leader and let it follow. Sort of like the childhood game of Follow The Leader…you lead.

This world is better because you are here. Your life truly makes a difference. You are valued, important and so very much needed. Don’t give up!

1. Sandra
    Sandra says:

Dear Penelope,
    You do right, you need to think of and take care of yourself.
    Not sure about sorry, but I find NO to be the hardest word!! I do not like to think I let people down or disappoint them. I am still finding it hard to say ‘sorry, no I can’t do that anymore’ or ‘I will not be able to make it on that date to do that thing (whatever the ‘thin’ may be)’. I am positive and reading your post has helped, just wish I had found them sooner, I will never give up, just need to practice saying no more often.
    Take care and stay cheerful,
    and thank you
    Sandra

2. Sylvie Allard says:

That’s right “never never give up” and yes life can be cruel and painful but being positive helps alot. MS will knock you down but you have to get back up and try again. It’s a constant battle, but never never give up….because each day is a blessing..

Thank you Penelope, I was wondering what happened. I have been through something strange last night. Something screwed me up an I felt really sick and tiered so I went to bed real early (which I have not one in years) so after a long sleep-in I got up at 12:30pm still feeling out of place. I don’t know what it was but i found a rose thorn on my trolley’s tor plate and I haven’t been near a roses as recent as last night because I fold it back for my 4 seasons of eye drops every day so where did it come from? Quite strange. Nothing seems to have change (yet) so I can’t blame MS for it. That’s even stranger.

4. Ed
    Ed says:

Thanks Penelope once again your post is very timely for me. It has been a hard few weeks and have really just felt so tired and hopeless. Sometimes we just need to hear that everything will be okay, your positivity and encouragement are a blessing.

5. Sharon
    Sharon says:

Take care of yourself. Good idea to not pressure yourself with daily blogs. Once told my therapist that yes life has many bumps but we have craters that get harder to climb out of.😣 Have managed to exercise in water for years and now pay afterwards with super tight muscles.

6. Leah
    Leah says:

Oh Penelope, you do know how to flush my tears away. Had a rough morning and reading your blog brightened my spirits. Please continue to write your magnificent blogs…whenever you can…I truly appreciate them all. Many thanks.

7. Florian Schwarzkopf says:

The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place… and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain’t about how hard you hit… It’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward… how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers saying: You ain´t what you wanna be because of him or her or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain´t you! You´re better than that ~ Rocky Balboa

8. Roie
    Roie says:

After a pretty yucky day, I do feel more like facing the day, sorry, night. Hoping sleep will bring relief from the horrors of this downright repulsive condition. Sweet dreams to you, plenty of laughs, which always do make me feel better. There’s nothing quite like having a hearty laugh at myself!!