Smile

How do you start your day?

I think all of us long for the day when Multiple Sclerosis no longer exists. When we wake up in the morning to find that not only is there a cure which has eradicated MS from the planet, but one that has reversed the damage already affecting hundreds of thousands of people.

I woke up this morning and sad to say, today wasn’t that day. So what do I do? Do I get angry because of the struggle? Do I allow depression to overtake me? Do I resent the fact that life is so very different than I ever planned for it to be? Or, do I choose to recognize that life will have problems no matter what I’m facing or where I am at and that it’s necessary to find some good in the day if I am going to get through it.

It’s not easy living with a progressive chronic illness as you already know. Days can be so unpredictable and the limitations we experience are real. No amount of ignoring it, hiding it, or pretending it isn’t there is going to make it all go away.

What good can ever come of a day when pain is a constant and life is unpredictable?

What if we looked at things from a different perspective for a moment? I challenge you to shift your thoughts to focus on what you do have rather than what you don’t. I think you’ll be surprised at the strength that rises up in you. Here’s something to get you started…

Dare to Be
by Steve Marboli

When a new day begins, dare to smile gratefully.
When there is darkness, dare to be the first to shine a light.
When there is injustice, dare to be the first to condemn it.
When something seems difficult, dare to do it anyway.
When life seems to beat you down, dare to fight back.
When there seems to be no hope, dare to find some.
When you’re feeling tired, dare to keep going.
When times are tough, dare to be tougher.
When love hurts you, dare to love again.
When someone is hurting, dare to help them heal.
When another is lost, dare to help them find the way.
When a friend falls, dare to be the first to extend a hand.
When you cross paths with another, dare to make them smile.
When you feel great, dare to help someone else feel great too.
When the day has ended, dare to feel as you’ve done your best.
Dare to be the best you can –
At all times, Dare to be!

1. Allison
    Allison says:

Today is my riding lesson. Woke up to sunny skies and 20°C. Perfect. If they can’t find a cure for MS, the least they can do is fix the weather so it’s like this every day.

2. Roger Ashton-Smith
    Roger Ashton-Smith says:

I’ve have been through tree bad 24 hours of lousy time with sniffles coming on that has cause my health to fail horribly with my mobility going south and leaving me.Fortunately I have a little help here. But it’s hard to move when you can’t even walk wrongly and you fell like s..t
    but it has gone away again so I feel a lot better. I know I have beaten it yet again but it goes on still. I think we have some victoria over the bad days so we can live in hope for the goo times that can and will after the bad.

3. Sue Martin says:

I wake up every morning and feel rubbish, I then probably spend the time it takes me to get ready for work (1.5hrs) thinking would I feel this knackered if I didn’t have MS. I try to discount my condition whilst I apply my makeup then when the brush doesn’t do what I expect it to, then I know it’s MS….every morning, every day!
    And don’t get me into trying to do things which a ‘normal’ person would find normal. D*** legs and shakes. It’s so rubbish but I just get on with life and keep taking my meds X

4. Ethel Himel says:

We go on and pray and hope for the cure. But I’m not holding my breath and I certainly will not hope to wake up in heaven we have time for that. Right here and now we have to fight and never give up.im pretty sure the cure will not be in my life time but I pray in the near future the will have it and they will find it.

• Nicola Day says:

Your time will come but for now find the simple things in life like the sun on your face or the breeze, hear the noises around, there is so much we overlook. And know there is someone out there thinking of you.🌈

5. Jason Rogowski
    Jason Rogowski says:

I’m sure one day they will find something that will halt MS in its tracks.
    But never be able to repair the damage done.

Be strong.
    Be positive.

6. Kathy Hamilton says:

We listen to our bodies… get support from those who understand…..throw rocks at trees when the whole thing angers us….. and when the cat gets out a wine glass, we take the hint.