Multiple Sclerosis changed my life

Life changes. It changes things around you and it even changes you…more than you realize. When Multiple Sclerosis came into my life, it happened quickly…so quickly in fact that I didn’t even have an opportunity to blink before the tsunami hit. There weren’t months or years of unanswered symptoms. I had a healthy body one day and a non-functioning one the next. My diagnosis only took days where, for many, it was a long and exhausting process.

The initial shock for me was a difficult one to face because I didn’t see it coming. The storm clouds it opened over my head distorted my ability to think properly and took me time to sort through. Not only did life around me change, I changed too. I consider it a good change though because I learned more about myself, life and others than I ever imagined possible.

For some people, an MS diagnosis is more of a relief than a whirlwind because at least there is an answer to the sea of problems that never had an explanation before. Once a reason is discovered, their thoughts are able to rest…those crazy, wandering, “what if” thoughts.

No matter how MS came into your life or how a diagnosis was determined, you have to admit it changed you. That’s the thing about life, it doesn’t let you or anything around you become stagnate. Each new day is filled with new lessons…new beginnings and new endings.

Everything you have experienced in life has left you with greater wisdom and a deeper understanding into things that you never knew you were going to need…sometimes because of the struggle and other times because of the joys. Without those experiences, you wouldn’t be the person you are today.

Sure, you have taken some detours and gone down roads that were scary and uncharted…places you would have never chosen if you knew where they would lead…but stop and look around at the strength you have today because of the road you were on yesterday. Some people think change is a bad thing, but for the butterfly change is where their beauty lies. Without change they would never realize that within them they have the ability to fly.

Life is always moving so it’s important to move with it. That doesn’t mean you agree with it or you are giving in to it. It means you are getting stronger, wiser and becoming more of the person you were meant to be.

Hold your head up high in confidence today as you move down your road in life. You are growing stronger and so much wiser with each step you take. I even think I see some wings beginning to form. Get ready and be prepared to fly. Keep being brave!

Sorry the stupid ‘D’ button is plying up worse than my MS. My name is the Germanic not Frech

2. Bobby Moe says:

I can relate and
    Sympathize with
    all of you…. I have SLE… Lupus. Two years to get
    Diagnosis. But now I’ve lived with it for 42 years‼️. I’m grateful for research progress & modern medicine. We all gotta hang in there and make every day count. Kim

3. Roger Ashton-Smith
    Roger Ashton-Smith says:

I took a few days to find out what was going on and get a result that ‘helped’ me deal with it. The hard part was leaving work.I thought I was changed from this previous life,and it was for a long time. But now I have my memories and all that means I can sort myself out of the mess that MS caused for me.
    I guess it has changed my physical body but the I hasn’t been changed and will never be taken away again
    Now I can live a bit easier knowing what I do about my life.
    Please all of you don’t loss yourself in MS, don’t let it take you to where you don’t need to go. Be who you are and don’t let it be taken away.

4. Aileen Brown says:

It’s true a diagnosis however good or bad is a relief I think it helps as you can focus on dealing with it my diagnosis was a smooth process and altho it took time to sink in I think I cope pretty well like you all have my down days as I have PPMS am thankful that so far the progression has been slow so easier to deal with

5. Stephanie Culkin says:

Long and exhausting for me! Years of what I now know were MS symptoms but kept being told I had a virus! Then I was hit with what seemed like every symptom you could list and ended up at the hospital. Examinations and MRI then told I had MS and that I’d had it for a long time (from results of MRI).

6. Lorraine Vasquez says:

Yes me too. 24hrs loss vision in right eye. Tingling all over in arms and legs. Very scary,quite emotional. But I’m good I’ve educated myself. Great Neuro, tecfedira,pain meds. Go with the flow, no stress,eat right,stay informed. Good luck.

7. Kevin McPherson says:

My situation was similar. I was fine & fully mobile one day and my right side was paralyzed the next. Trip to ER, 3 days of endless testing for stroke, Lyme disease, HIV, West Nile virus, valley fever, etc. finally ct scans & MRIs found degenerative bone disease in cervical spine & large lesions on my brain. MS & spinal disease Dx, but MS won the race as to cause of paralysis. Few days of steroids and off I was sent back home. Never fully recovered complete use of my right side & now my left side is getting “MSed” more & more.

8. JJ
    JJ says:

Oh, we dont know that it will never go away.. We dont know that cancer will never go away.. Im more positive than that

9. Priscilla
    Priscilla says:

Great read this morning, there is much truth to this posting! I had the long revealing process. Most doctors thought I was crazy, a drug seeker, or just didn’t know what to do with me. I think diagnosis has gotten a little more advanced. But for me it seemed like a forever unknown. Yes it could have been one of two things, and MS was the better of the two 😕. But like you said life keeps on moving, so I continue to be positive 🙂! I have truly learned a lot about myself in the last 13 years, some days are bumpier than others but I continue to keep pushing along 🙂!

• Priscilla
      Priscilla says:

You will always have a down day here and there. You just can’t let MS rule your life. I’ve had it for over 13 years now. Like Penelope said we need to keep living and holding our heads up high. Right now you are in a mourning phase, I can’t determine when you will feel better emotionally because it’s a one day at a time thing. And everyone handles things differently. I hope you find your happy place soon. For now mourn, be mad, and be thankful that it wasn’t something worse. I have had MS long enough now that I can truly say regardless of the disease it has made me a better person.

10. Leslie Beaver says:

I also got diagnosed quickly. GP on a Tuesday, neurologist on a Friday. Who told me that I had MS BEFORE seeing the MRI that he sent me for. And even today, I am much healthier than most. Yes of course I have MS. But my underlying frame is very healthy. Ironic.

• Jennifer Whitney
      Jennifer Whitney says:

Leslie, That is very similar to my diagnosis, which was just last December; Awful vertigo at work on a Wednesday, Urgent Care Thursday, PCP Friday who sent me for an emergency room MRI that day. PCP Called me the next morning, told me to sit down and explained that she was pretty certain I had MS. Off to the ER for steroids I went. It has been a whirlwind year ever since. I cannot say what the future holds for me with this disease, but i can tell you that having it so far has forced me to slow down and live life in a richer, fuller way and to not take it for granted. Because of MS I have cut back my work hours and have been enjoying spending more time with my family. I didn’t realize how much I was missing!