good morning

I woke up to another day of life with Multiple Sclerosis

I woke up this morning, made my way to the bathroom to get a shower and the first thought that popped into my head was “Ugh, another day with Multiple Sclerosis.” As soon as that thought showed up I knew it wasn’t a wonderful cheery thing to be thinking. But hey, I’m human and thoughts like that happen.

The day hadn’t even officially begun and I was already thinking about how my wheelchair has become my best friend rather than a pair of running shoes. About the pile of dirty clothes that need to be washed and yet how I have zero energy to load the washing machine to get the first load started. About how much pain my body is in every second of every day. About how extra hard everything in life seems to be now days from putting on my socks, to brushing my teeth, to filling up the gas tank in my van, to buying toilet paper.

We all have moments when thoughts like that appear. Thoughts that we really don’t want to be thinking but show up anyway. I know I’m not the only one waking up wishing that MS didn’t exist and having a woe-is-me morning.

As I pondered my dreary, self-focused morning thoughts I realized fairly quickly that I needed to adjust my thinking. Today, this very day that I woke up to dreading, is someone else’s chance at living. How can I throw that away? How can I waste 24 hours—time that I can never get back—choosing to fill it with sadness and regrets.

This day…today…the very one that I woke up to feeling exhausted and disappointed in because of MS. Yes, this very day is a blessing to someone else. All of those things I woke up dreading are seen as a blessing in their world.

There are people today thankful for the chance to fix things they messed up yesterday, thankful to spend one more day with their family and friends, thankful for the pain they have to endure because it simply means they are alive, thankful for an opportunity to see a doctor even if that means they have to travel hundreds of miles to get there, thankful to have a wheelchair even if it’s second-hand, worn out and falling apart.

I can choose to be one of those grateful, thankful people or decide to waste away my day on regrets and sorrows. And so can you.

How about I start things over?

Good morning, sunshine…today is a new day. It’s a chance to do something great. It’s an opportunity to truly live and make a difference. There is only one today and each second of it is precious.

Don’t waste the day pondering regrets and sorrows from your woulda, coulda, shoulda thoughts. Invest your time into the lives of those around you and into yourself as well. It’s worth it. You’re worth it.

1. Michelle Brovitz
    Michelle Brovitz says:

Do you or anyone here know anything about Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation? I have had MS for 21 years, am currently SPMS, and am going to Mexico in the spring for a procedure they have been doing successfully to cure MS for years, since the 90s.

Good thoughts Penelope. I have been through a little adversary with the monster but I won this time. Every day I’m thankful for being alive. We had mainly music this morning but somehow I got the wrong pdf to the right music.But before that the windows decided to update itself and took over the computer cutting me off from the programs I needed. So I managed to stop it and then I found the wrong changes that were made. I found the right one quickly and it carried on quite well.
    But you are right in that we do have some negative thoughts and sometimes it’s good to have them and dismiss them\ as not needed. It gives a little balance to our unbalanced world.

3. Tania Padilla says:

Right…..we are humans, we have blood running in our vanes….. It is valid for us to feel and think like that…… We try to be warriors…..but as well with feelings….. I have that thoughts too…… And they pass and begin smiling again……. Hope you are smiling now

4. Pixie Boris says:

After I shower and get dressed I sit there for about 5 minutes and think about things, evaluate what really needs to be done.
    I often curse this MonSter as it has taken so much away from my (our) lives.
    But, since it’s here the only thing to do is find a way to work around it…
    sometimes not either

5. Kathy Buys says:

Every day is different, every morning I wake to be grateful. Some days it takes all I have to find the positive. Some days are good. The uncertainty is what reeks havoc. I don’t know I can’t do something until it’s time after plans are made. Not necessarily with others most of the time. Just to take care of myself would be a Godsend. ❤️

6. Lynde Friedman says:

Yup.. same thought system here.. as my dog looked at me saying …. wait… shower first? Nooo … me first…I got to go out….fine! So back in bed for a couple more hours … so I can hope to go out and do one important errand

7. Lisa
    Lisa says:

I cry every time I read your blogs. You are so encouraging, you help me get moving in the mornings. I woke up so exhausted and you are the sunshine that I needed this morning. Thanks so much. You make me wanna be strong, even though I have no energy to drag myself around today. Your encouragement is refreshing. I needed this, this morning. Thank you again.

8. Dan Pimenta says:

I wake up for the last 26 years,not thinking that I have MS, BUT HOW IM GOING TO KICK IT’S ASS AGAIN !!ONE DAY AT A TIME!!! Still have my family friends and my career as a full-time firefighter!!! DONT LET MS BRING YOU DOWN STAY STRONG MY FRIENDS!!!

• Allison Morgan
      Allison Morgan says:

Just put the turkey in the oven. Feeling grateful for living in the best country in the world, Canada!

9. Yvonne Lucas says:

Over the weekend I had a bug which made me completely incapable, head went round, legs wouldn’t hold me. Feel better today and what a relief but made me realize how lucky I am to at least being able to stand and walk with sticks and long may it continue

10. Christine Mcneill says:

I wake up every morning with that thought hoping to get to the toilet in timeonly this morning’s thought was that today is 3 yrs since my diagnosis I can’t believe how much my life has changed but as the saying goes…..One day at a time , hope everyone is well today

11. Leslie Beaver says:

True. But I really almost never think “why me”. Because it is me. And there is nothing that I can do to change that fact. I can and do take all steps to improve my lot. A good diet, appropriate exercise and the like. But saying “why” is simply not part of my self-conversation.

12. Priscilla
    Priscilla says:

Thank you, as the laundry keeps piling up and the fatigue has set in with the change in weather, it is easy to get into the wrong mind set 😕! This gave me just the boost I needed for today 🙂, thank you Penelope for getting me to change my attitude and direction to start my week!