bear

Have you forgotten?

I have a favorite mug in my cupboard. When I make my morning cup of coffee or have hot tea later in the day, you will always find me looking for my red mug first. It’s rather funny too because I have a shelf full of mugs I could use that match with my everyday dinnerware, but I will go in search of my favorite one every time.

I’m not really sure why it’s my favorite other than the fact that it’s different…and red. I like things that are different. I always have. I have never been the kind of person that does things just because everyone else is doing them. Everything I do, I do on purpose and with meaning. I guess that is what makes me, me.

That’s the only reason I wake up and fumble my way through the weakness and pain to start my day. I know there’s a purpose for my life and that I am the only person who can do what I do. It’s the same with you. You are unique and important. Sure, there may be a cupboard full of people similar to you that could do the things you do, but there’s something so amazingly different about the person you are. You are the only one who can be YOU.

Have you forgotten? Let me remind you who you are.

You are precious, worthy, amazing, strong, brave, filled with potential and lots of wisdom, capable, and loved. You may never see your name in lights or be picked first at a game of dodgeball; you may be the last person in line, the slowest, and the least of the least in your mind; but you are a champion.

Each day you fight a battle that others will never see, and even on the days you can’t stand tall you still come up swinging. You are not a loser and you never will be. You are a mighty warrior. Sure you may be limping and weak, but even in your weakness you have a story to tell this broken messed up world what life is really all about.

It’s not about the fancy cars and the twenty room mansions. It’s not about the perfect bodies and the ability to outpace others. No, it’s about the love you have to share, the beauty inside your heart and the courage you face the day with. Let your voice be heard and never forget just how great you are.

You may have a chronic disease and be disabled, but that is not the person that you are. You are not your disease. You are YOU and a wonderful YOU that is.

1. Lynde Friedman says:

Thank you!
    It’s the minute (mi- nute) things that in just a blink of an eye I catch that reminds me ‘that person doesn’t understand very much of what or why I am doing or not doing this or that! ( if you understand this please let me know….. so I can know I am no just crazy ….)

That’s encouraging to read Penelope.
    I have written before and still follow that it’s important to never lose yourself in your MS. You are all special to yourself and others. I did lose some of myself a while ago but I have it back and know what is like not to have it.
    Having a favourite mug (or anything else) is a great way to bring a bit of balance back to your life.

3. Lynda Walters says:

Thank you for this! Friends who want what they want when they want and then ignore you the rest of the time have really gotten me depressed lately. I needed to be reminded I am worth something!

4. Jan Hoback Jasper says:

Today I am struggling with keeping my temper in check. It is so hurtful to me when family and or friends that claim to love you continually tell you what you are doing wrong…surely that’s what caused my MS. 🙁

5. Lori Youssef Jawad says:

Thank you, I needed this, too. I fell last week. I need my walker. The person I live with don’t want me to bring it in the house to use it. I cleaned the wheels and skis on it. I need to find independent living for disabled.. this is what I need to get me motivated to move in the spring..

• Lynde Friedman says:

Ok!!!! I just did this passage… moved into handicap accessible housing…. and a message therapist that I know brought me her mothers walker… and yes I even started to use it instead of just glaring at it. Just me and my dog … most of the time🐶😑🎀

• Lynde Friedman says:

i live in RI… I looked around and over a few years I managed to find an elderly and disabled housing apt complex that allowed my dog also and I was very lucky to have gotten one of there few handicapped apts.. at first they offered me a second floor which I knew would not work out well then a few months later another ape opened up. Look around and get on a list and wait for the right one to come up for you. It’s a process…..praying on it helps💞💞

6. Leanna Lucy DeFilippis Veale
    Leanna Lucy DeFilippis Veale says:

Thank you Penelope for all your cheerfull and silly comments. I look forward to reading you daily. You have a way with words that just picks me up. Take care and please keep it up.

7. Tossa Roman says:

Thank you, Penelope! I needed this today. Pain so intense yesterday and today, it has my stomach in knots. Your words show up in my feed or my inbox exactly when I need them most. Thank you for being my positive light and reminding me that I am stronger than this. And….I had coffee in My Red Mug this morning!! before reading this. Your Energy embraced me before your words today much love to you!!

8. Allison Morgan
    Allison Morgan says:

How did you know that this is exactly what I needed to hear this morning. I love you, Penelope, for being able to put these feelings into words, and then turn it into a positive.

9. Nancy
    Nancy says:

Thank you. My favorite mug is my Hollywood Walk of Fame mug with my name in the star that a friend bought for me. While I may not be famous, it reminds me to shine my brightest no matter how dim my predicament at the moment might be. You rock, Penelope!

10. Tara Tucker says:

I forget so often. I fight hard to remember I matter and despite my difficulties I am fighting everyday to be the best mother to my kids that I can be. My kids is my red mug.

11. Chris
    Chris says:

You are an encouraging ninja!! Thank you for fulfilling your purpose with your positive and encouraging thoughts and words!! Here’s to a red mug day!!