Multiple Sclerosis has given me superpowers

Multiple Sclerosis has given me numerous superpowers. I have been known to fly from time to time across the room. I can make some truly amazing take-offs and landings too. I teleport things like my keys, the TV remote and even my phone to strange places in order to keep them safe from thieves. Who would think to look for those things in the dishwasher, microwave or the freezer. And one ability that has become annoyingly prominent lately is supersonic hearing. Really, it’s true.

It’s amazing how many faint and normally unnoticed sounds I hear. Just today I noticed that when I shuffle papers around on my desk it sounds more like a tornado getting ready to touch down than actual paper.

I have started setting my TV volume really low most of the time because I can actually feel the sounds rattling around inside my head when it is turned up past the 10 setting. It’s not very comfortable having sounds rattling around in your head like that.

And one of the worst moments is when I’m in a room with a group of people talking all at once. All the voices and sounds bouncing around in the room start bouncing around inside my head too. It’s almost as if the nerves in my ears go into overload and I just want to throw my hands up and tell everyone to shut up.

I find myself sitting in the quiet more now just because it’s so calming. No music, no TV, no chatter…just me, my coffee and my computer. It’s funny, even typing on my keyboard starts to get to me after a while. Of course I do more hunt and peck now days so it’s not as loud as someone typing 70 words per minute.

I noticed that my hearing has become so sensitive that any sudden or unexpected sound catch me off-guard and I jump like crazy whether it be a ring-tone on my cell phone, a knock at the door, the buzzer on the dryer, or even the new mail sound on my computer for my email.

I can hear whispers from across the room too, but don’t tell anyone. I don’t want people to know that I can hear their secrets. Shhhh!

Have you discovered some superpowers of your own? We really are uniquely amazing people…us MSers. MS brings out some truly awesome abilities in us. Oh, wow…I just dropped my coffee cup (with a lid) and it landed right side up. Not a drop was spilled. I don’t know what kind of superpower that is, but I’ll take it.

1. Katie hipkin
    Katie hipkin says:

This is totally me😀😀Now I can let my partner know why I have the TVs on volume 1,why I actually jump in the air when a visitor enters the room unannounced thanks it’s not just me 👍

Well one Penelope, that doesn’t happen to me. I drop my toast and it always lands on the butter side still. My phone hearing is a bit muddled but I can listen to my ipod comfortably still. I on’t know of any superpowers I have got yet but no oute I have some just as any MSer has.

Thanks Penelope for your humour, it makes a bit of fun in bad situation. We do need to laugh more

3. Erin Haley says:

So true! I regularly stick my toothbrush in the fridge. Sometimes I feel like you are my inner voice, because you express my frustrations so beautifully.

• Lynde Friedman says:

I feel the same…my verbiage is limited.. it feels better not think.. and put down my thoughts but I smile at each posting and am really glad to know I’m not alone…

4. Tina Faulkner
    Tina Faulkner says:

Thank you for the blogs as they give me that positive push to keep going on days my body doesn’t want too!! I love seeing that we all can relate and understand each others flying, hearing and other symtoms. One I have is my sense of smell has become so clear and if its at a bakery it would be AWESOME but not so in some other 0laces if you know why I mean…😤

5. Julie Mitchell Dilbeck says:

I know what you mean about sounds “rattling” in your head. I feel them in my body. I prefer the quiet, too. No tv, music, or talking.

But it’s not always like that. Human interaction is vital to life. It gives us purpose and meaning. Don’t push other’s away; reach out any way you can.

Thank you for your blog. You encourage me every day. ❤️

6. Leah
    Leah says:

I too, can’t stand it when I’m at the dinner table and everyone talks over each other; each trying to be heard and outdo one another with their opinions. This increases the volume in the room which does my head in! Likewise, I detest the clatter of dishes and the rattle of utensils when the table needs clearing. Perhaps it’s time to consider a move to a monastery?

7. kate
    kate says:

You are amazing. Never stop writing these blogs! Just when I thought I was going crazy, low-and-behold you write about the same symptom I’ve been experiencing for years. AND – I HAVE yelled to a group of people in a room to shut up – years before my diagnosis (whoops!). I thought I was the only one with this “superpower” (I also have an olfactory one – which is not as much of a gift living in the Big Apple). Thanks again for putting into words exactly how I’m feeling.