Dear Multiple Sclerosis, you’ve messed with the wrong person

Dear Multiple Sclerosis,
I want you to know that you are not the boss of me. Sure, you have made my life a living hell. You may have caused me countless tears. You may be the reason I had to quit my job, have lost seemingly great friendships, and am facing unprecedented financial difficulties. You may make my body weak, my thoughts a jumbled mess, my body tremble and my vision blurry, but you will never, and I mean NEVER, have the satisfaction of stealing my hope.

Hope is what keeps me going when I feel overwhelmingly discouraged and depressed. It gives me the strength I need when I’m feeling completely worn out from fighting every day. It helps me keep my head held high and my heart strong when, in reality, I feel as if I have lost every bit of passion and courage I thought I had left.

You see, I have hope in a better tomorrow.
I have hope that one day a cure will be found.
I have hope that my life matters to the people I come in contact with, both online and in person.
I have hope that, regardless of the struggle, I will find a smile to brighten my day.
I have hope that there are still good, caring, honest, loving people in this world who are willing to stand up for the disabled to help us fight.
I have hope in the 2.5 million people in the world living with Multiple Sclerosis, that each one of us finds the strength we need to keep pushing on.

MS, I know your plan is destruction, but no matter how hard you try, I will not be defeated. I am a warrior…and that’s what warriors do…we rise up!

We may make it through our day exhausted, weary, and feeling like a complete and total wreck, but we will not give up. You’ve messed with the wrong group of people. We are fighters, we are strong, we are mighty, and we NEVER give up…hear us ROAR!

1. Rachel Jones
    Rachel Jones says:

Hi, I write the MS News Letter for the West Oxfordshire MS Society branch. Would it be ok if I put something in about this blog and a one of your entries? I think this is a brilliant site and a lot of our members would benefit from knowing it is out there. Thanks Rachel

2. Grace Castro
    Grace Castro says:

I’m waiting to see a neurologist to get diagnosed. I have RA and have recently started to get all the symptoms of MS. It’s a scary thing to wait as I feel my body changing. Thank you all for your positive posts. I have found family ❤️

3. Marion O'Dea says:

Yeah, and when your down, and depression kicks in, pick yourself up and say ” MS your not beating me. Beat my body, beat my brain. But you don’t beat me. Hang in there DOD.

That is a great thought Penelope. We should have hope in what we look for and do. I have listened to Meatloaf and the Monster Has Returned song and that gives a great picture of MS.Do not run into it’s wall and on’t fall off it butgo over it. And I feel that’s what we should do with MS. Use it to live not to fold under but grow into what you are using your character to do whatever you can do. Be faithful to yourself. Never let yourself down. If no one is willing to help find a way to do it yourself. Don’t let MS win!

Thanks for all your encouragement Penelope and for all the people on this site.

5. Sharon
    Sharon says:

Your life does matter and you do have a new vocation. You are a mental therapist to a large community and a writer!👏

6. Patti Zeleznak
    Patti Zeleznak says:

I have recently given up my job realizing I couldn’t work anymore. I sleep a lot now and have no idea how I was working. I want just one day without me to remember who I was.

7. Jenn Muirhead says:

Thank-you, like I say I do not have this illness, my younger sister does. I think you nailed it here! Hope can never be lost, I hate this disease beyond words. I will do everything in my power to advocate and be an active part in finding the cure.