But I can’t do this

When I was little I wouldn’t let anyone near me to put drops in my eyes. In my mind, anything associated with something being put into my eye meant pain and discomfort. I think the reason I felt this way was because I remembered all the times I had accidentally gotten small pieces on bark in my eyes while climbing trees (yes, I was one of those kids)…and I remembered how painful and discomforting the whole experience could be. Somehow I associated anything that had to do with my eyes to being painful…even if it wasn’t.

Our feelings are important and we need to listen to them, but they don’t always tell the truth. Sometimes our feelings lie to us. They have this way of causing us unwarranted anxiety, anger, and even fear.

Remember the first time you had to stand before a large group of people to speak…the anxiety that caused your stomach to tie in knots? That was your feelings lying to you causing you to fear something that probably would never happen. And even if the worst thing you could ever imagine did happened, even if you were to stumble over your words or forget what you were going to say, even if someone laughed at you, life would go on. But somehow feelings got in the way and brought along a whirlwind of possibilities that caused an upset to your inner peace.

Being emotionally strong is the same. It has nothing to do with how you feel. If it did, no one would be strong. We all have been to a place in life when our feelings where misdirecting us and telling us it’s time to quit…time to give up. Everyone! Even that person who outwardly appears to have everything all together. Even they have, at one time or another, felt helpless and unsure that they could keep going.

What do you do when your feelings are lying to you, screaming at you, telling you life is too hard? You keep going.

You are going to get through today. The pain you are facing, the uncertainty of life, the struggle you are in the middle of…it’s going to lessen and you are going to make it. Don’t allow your feelings to tell you any differently. You are brave, you are important, you are valued, you are needed, and you are STRONG. Don’t let MS or anything else in life convince you otherwise.

• Manie Mar says:

I know what you’re going through, I see u feeling your pain and see how it has changed your life I pray you have positive changes in the near future. I love u my chilipepper don’t let this change your spirit ♡ have faith

1. Lynn Stevenson
    Lynn Stevenson says:

How do you handle the holidays? I want to have dinner and not put too much on my spouse. Not feeling well, but, it doesn’t show to others. I want to have dinner but, my body and brain are not cooperating. I go over a written list and am very confused. Any suggestions ?

Thanks Penelope as usual on time. I am fortunate to have an Emotional IQ of 140 and that has helped me through a lot of things that would have destroyed me if I didn’t have it. But I still get lie to by my feelings and I have to search them to fin the cause then deal with it.
    Even with MS I still search my feelings to see if they are true, this sometimes shows a fails feeling that comes from MS. So I have to eal with it as well as I can.

3. Maggie
    Maggie says:

This was a great day to hear this. I’m an MSer currently dealing with temporal neuralgia…an intense unrelenting facial pain. I’ve had it before, and it may go away, but right now it’s almost unbearable. Thanks for the encouragement.

4. Sharon
    Sharon says:

PERFECT message for the day. My husband has lived with chronic pain due to nerve
    Injury during sinus surgery 30 years ago. He has has 3 brain surgeries implanting TENS units in the brain all experimental at Stanford and still lives with debilitating pain. Doing poorly now. I was diagnosed with MS 27 years ago and have been his caretaker for years. Pretty much handle everything as if single but the burden of doing it for 2. My neurologist always has told me that stress has an incredible negative impact on MS and right now feeling like am going down the rabbit hole so HUGE your morning message about dealing with feelings. Beyond grateful.

5. Jeff N Christine Higdon says:

Sometimes I want to just stop trying! To let the desease take over. At times my depression is overwhelming! I then have to up my depression mess and see a therapist. Sometimes I am just soooo tired. God is good!!!