You did it

Wow, it’s hard to believe another year is almost over. It felt like the time went by way too fast, but still feels weird that it’s already gone. In looking back over my year I feel accomplished. It’s not like I did some mammoth feat or invented something extraordinary, I simply survived another year with multiple sclerosis and lived to tell about it. That’s momentous enough for me.

I admit that I shed my fair share of tears and had a few pity parties along the way. I shuddered to think of my progression yet prepared for the possibilities in advance as much as possible. Things like ensuring my bathroom would work with a wheelchair and that I could manage in the kitchen with most of the things I need placed in the lower cabinets.

I ensured my floor was clear of obstacles, especially those pesky throw rugs that trip me up so easily, and put myself on a scheduled bed time whether I fell asleep right away or not. I bought a medicine dispenser to help me remember to take my meds and a shampoos dispenser to help clear the clutter in the shower.  I even got a toothpaste dispenser to ease my usual fumbling with the tube of toothpaste.

None of it was rocket science, but everything I did ended up easing my load and making my day a little less stressful. But that’s all a part of coping.

It’s okay if you need more time to make yourself look presentable each morning or require a walking aid to navigate the hallways of life. It’s okay if you need help reaching things on the top shelf at the grocery store. It’s okay if you move slower or your weakness limits the things you can do.

Be proud of the person that you are because to me, you are amazing.  Regardless of what you can or can’t do, you get up each day and you make it. That’s amazing. Things may look a lot different today than they did last year at this time, but you are still moving forward. That’s amazing.  Sure, you may get mad, shed a few tears and even throw a few punches now and again, but you haven’t given up.  That’s amazing.

You are, undoubtedly, a truly amazing person filled with greatness and possibilities. Never let multiple sclerosis stop you from being you. Welcome in the new year with a smile and never forget just how amazing you are.

1. Teresa
    Teresa says:

I just found this site and have read only a few entries so far by Penelope. All I can say is that I was in real need of finding some inspirational words.

2. Robin Bittner says:

Without all of you guys support, strength, uplifting stories, words of encouragement and positive thoughts and silly post that we all can relate too life living with MS would be so much lonelier and so much hard to face every day. Wishing everyone a fabulous and hopefully many pain free days in 2017 ❤

3. Meeya
    Meeya says:

I cannot possibly thank you enough for being such a huge inspiration… for reliably remindIng me how important staying positive is… your posts are so valuable to so many people – THANKS so much for being you. You really make a difference.
    All best wishes for 2017!!! 😀🎆

4. Roland Clarke
    Roland Clarke says:

You are amazing and an inspiration to those of us struggling with the MonSter. Just ordered two pill box holder dispensers on Amazon – one for my MS meds and one for my poor wife’s heart medicines as she had a mild heart attack a few days ago.

You are still amazing Penelope. I have been blessed by your writing and thoughts. This last year has been hard; having no income, ealing with a sick wife and I have been feeling like a prisoner at home. But I am still alive and met an occasional person so I’m waiting for the en of January to see what comes to me. I’ll let you know closer to the time Meanwhile I wish you all a happy new year.
    Something just came to me. I met my wife around this time in 1979 and we’re still together.That’s good!

6. Carla L Broadbent Rogers
    Carla L Broadbent Rogers says:

Wishing everyone a Very Happy and Healthy 2017. With MS, each hour, day, week and so on has it’s surprises and challenges. Somehow we move forward. Be well…smile…be good to yourself….You are worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Kate
    Kate says:

You often times tell us how amazing we are, but I hope someone is telling you how amazing YOU are. Thanks for the giggles, understanding and uplifting words every time I need them. I hope you continue to write these positive vibes for as long as we can continue reading them. Here is to a new year!

8. Nancy Jones
    Nancy Jones says:

As I sit here in the infusion room getting my last dose of steroids for this current flare I still feel blessed to be encouraged by you and your readers words. I feel a positive presence here that is comforting. Sending blessings to all for 2017

9. Samantha Hollis says:

This has been my first year of PPMS. I was diagnosed 23 Dec 2015, (early xmas pressie ) but this year has brought about boyfriend leaving (as it wasn’t about him and thought I should be able to control my bladder/bowels and be more positive -narcissistic w*nker) everyone else was amazed how well I was taking the diagnosis. In my own time, I took it on board, have changed my diet to under 15g sat fats, use HBOT twice a week and have an amazing support from family, friends and work colleagues. Who knows how fast I will progress, I say to people ‘I could get hit by a bus tomorrow lol ‘ so I try not to think too much on what could be. I have to stay positive Xx

10. Clive Whiteside
    Clive Whiteside says:

Thank you for all your posts during the Year that are always so helpful informative and supportive to us all.

11. Leslie Beaver says:

Doing what we are able to do is all that we can ask of ourselves. And never giving in to self pity. As “why me” is just self defeating and pointless. Because it IS you (us). Accept, adapt, adjust and move forward. And enjoy your new reality.