brain

My wonky, mixed-up brain

Brain Fog: That moment when you confuse people, places and things with apples, oranges and grapes. It could be something as simple as starting the coffee pot without the coffee in it or as crazy as forgetting who you are and what day it is.

Once I had a huge brain fog moment. I fell asleep around 4:30 PM after I climbed in bed for a late nap and was awakened at 6:00 PM because of some loud booming noise out my window. When I turned and looked at the clock, I didn’t see the “PM” part and thought it was morning.

I got up, took my morning meds (afterwards, I checked to make sure nothing bad would have happen because of doing that), took a shower, got dressed, then drove myself to an appointment.

I remember thinking how odd it was that morning rush hour traffic seemed super light. When I pulled into the parking lot for my appointment it was basically empty at that hour, but I just shrugged it off as my imagination. I got out of the van, went to the front door and of course it was locked.

It was then that I pulled out my phone thinking by chance I looked at the clock wrong. My appointment wasn’t until morning. I laughed so hard once I realized what had happened, texted a friend about my huge blunder and drove home with a smile on my face.

That was a first for me, to confuse time so badly without realizing something was wrong with my discernment. I’m sure you have some doozies as well. MS is sneaky and plays with our brain muddling up thoughts and words.

Choose to laugh in those moments in order to ease the discomfort of doing something that others find silly or out of place, or downright wrong. It’s a whole lot better than crying.

I hope I made you smile today. I give all the credit to my wonky, mixed-up brain.

1. Val Hanna says:

It is so frustrating and mad making but can be quite funny. So I have invented a new language between my friend one day everything was dufdankle I even wrote a poem about it my OT at the time took a copy to put up as she thought it explained a lot about the voice brain discombobulation (thats a real word promise) so maybe just go with the flow today is actually Friday for me can’t get it to stick what day it is

2. Shelley Sharp says:

Years ago before MS was even on the radar I got up just after midnight, had a shower and proceeded to get ready for work thinking it was the morning! No excuse for that one. Lol

I know what you mean Penelope I have been there. My brain has got kinga sorted out and I have little problems that I can deal with. A thing that got me is I have had a lot of strange dreams that are not easily explained. But it can be fun trying.

4. Juana Driver says:

Remember all to well calling hubby to tell him I was lost going home a few years back. I knew where I was just not how to get to the correct Hwy home. Before Garmin lol. Finally cleared and got home okay. Today is always are you sure you told me, did you have my attention, no I don’t know where it is and where we bought it. Oh I remember now as he finally finds it and I physically see it. LOL

5. Kim Silveira says:

This happens all the time to me. The story you wrote made me laugh I can
    Picture myself doing that! I wake up and think I am sleeping in my childhood bed!( I’m 47 and have lived with my husband for 23 years!!!

6. Geraldine Lowrey says:

I once asked my seven year old if he wanted cucumbers for breakfast. I meant to say oatmeal. Those two words aren’t even close! I tend to laugh it off, so does my family.

• Leslie Beaver says:

No uncle. At least not in my case. We talk as knowing. But without actually recalling at the start of a conversation. And sometimes never recalling. At which point you explain, ask for understanding, and ask for the name again. Which is provided politely and with understanding. In my experience.

• Leslie Beaver says:

Robert Barbour yes. And no. To the extent that it differs in terms of cause, duration and extent. Example. I can play along with Jeopardy and do well. Often very well. Because those are old memories that I am still able to call up on command. But play a similar game with recent events? Then no, I would not be as successful or certain.

• Leslie Beaver says:

And a general note. Language causes some of the confusion regarding MS. As the words used are identical but mean very different things for us. Like fatigue. Does everyone get? Yes, of course. But the wiped out, I am done feeling after a relatively mild effort? No. Or vision issues. Others of course have issues. But they are different for us. In fact, my eyes were speaking so clearly to my neurologist in my first appointment that he told me that I had MS. Before my MRI. Before! I say this just as an FYI. Enjoy the day.

7. Lauren
    Lauren says:

I laughed at myself when that happened to me a week ago when I lived in Israel. Oops that was thirty years ago. When will I just accept that I have a messed up brain?

8. Laura Dudley says:

While having a relapse I got my dad to drive me to my MS nurse apt. From Dunfermline Fife to Glasgow on the wrong day! 100 mile round trip we had to repeat 2 days later