wheelchair

Tomorrow…life will change

No one likes to think about where Multiple Sclerosis may lead…not even me. But I can tell you from my own experience, to ignore all possibilities of progression is to live in denial. I lived there my first year after diagnosis. I refused to believe that my life was changing or would keep changing and that I needed to make adjustments.

I know how hard it is to accept that your body is fighting against you. I know how much you want to simply fight back and hope with all hope that you are one of the lucky ones that lives with a benign case of MS. And I commend that attitude. I really do. But denying that MS is a part of your life will only hurt you later on. Refusing to accept what is happening to you is setting yourself up for defeat.

The best way to look at things is from a perspective of…”Yes, I may have MS BUT as long as my body is still able to function, I will live each day to its fullest. Tomorrow that may change and if that should happen, I’m prepared for it. Maybe not mentally. Maybe not emotionally. But I have considered my surroundings and I’ve made preparations for the possibility of a life with limitations due to MS.”

You see, preparing for tomorrow is not living with a negative attitude. It’s living in reality. Somehow, somewhere along the way we have changed the meaning of positive and negative thinking.

It’s not negative to prepare for tomorrow. It’s not negative to talk about MS, your struggles or your pain. It’s not negative to think of ways to adapt your home or even start the process in making those changes now before they are needed. It’s not negative to begin saving up for a possibility of immobility.

Some of us don’t have the luxury to make those preparations because life hit us too hard, too fast. If you can…begin making the preparations now. You will be glad you did. Besides, what could it hurt?

Enjoy today, live in the now, savor the sweet memories you are creating with those you love, but don’t ignore the possibilities of tomorrow…good or bad.

1. Tricia Williams says:

I am always amazed at how you know what to say at just the right time and I thank you sincerely. It is hard for family to see that I have got a scooter for just In case or that I need a stairlift for now or I have not been walking very well not just occasionally but every day now. But if I was to prepare for the bad times then it won’t be such a shock that I need more disability aids to help me live a more abled life❤️

2. Marti Gonzales says:

I stopped into walgreens yesterday and almost picked up a walking cane. Now I think I will go ahead and order one it was so hard to look normal walking around the store when my legs felt like jello. I guess we can’t be superman everyday!

3. Ethel Himel says:

I’m 61 was dx last year, dr said prob had MS for a Gd while. We had 6 children and I took in my brothers 3 children. They are all grown and the last 20 years I worked as a caregiver. In 2015 my husband of 39 years died and I so to speak crumbled. The dr said the stress prob brought out the MS. I do know we are suppose to be positive, but I also know u have to be prepared. I had a cousin that had MS , so I know all about what can happen. So I on guard and trying to prepare for what can happen

4. Laura Bedal says:

I spend too much time explaining to people that I am not being pessimistic, just realistic. I rather be ready with what may come and be pleasantly surprised, then plan for no progression and be disappointed.

AsI have written before I am ready for what ever change could come. There have been so many changes have gone on in my life nothing could really surprise me now.
    We had a bathroom change around when we first moved in here 16 years ago and I have been glad of that since then.

6. Carla L Broadbent Rogers
    Carla L Broadbent Rogers says:

Life with MS,,,,to cry, scream, hide,dwell, deny,lie, honesty, laugh, smile, sadness and that can be a good day. Be well, fight the fight in a way that works for you. Stay strong.

• Mary Flowers Arbogast says:

I have one too and have had it for 5 years now. I only use it when I absolutely have to and as much as I hate to admit it, there are those days when my legs are so heavy that walking even a few extra feet seems impossible. Im 38 and LOOK healthy, so I get the stares. People are just rude. Its life, the card we were dealt. You got this!

• Sharon
      Sharon says:

Isn’t it strange to discover that it is not only the heat that effects us? A physical therapist once told me people with autoimmune diseases are very sensitive to weather changes,even barometric ones. Now a true believer.

7. Ginger Grobe-Herbert says:

I wasn’t dx until age 62. I have RRMS and was told both by my local neuro and one at Baylor that I’d probably had it for 25-30 yrs. During those yrs, I raised 2 and had 2 more daughters , worked demanding schedules, got divorced and finished raising 2 youngest as a single mom. At age 50, I became an LVN , age 51, an RN. I took care of my parents during their last years while working Home Healthcare. When my mother died, I totally collapsed, got the MS dx and had to retire. While I don’t suggest that anyone else pushes to that point, I have to say that my 12 years working as a nurse were Wonderful!! God Bless you, Penelope and all you other MSers! for a cure!!

• Ginny
      Ginny says:

Ginger, sounds as though you’re handling things very well.. The Nursing background really helps. At first of my DX I could only relate the days working w/MS patients and the fact that in the 60-70’s there wasn’t any treatment. Thanks be to God for all the continued advances.

8. Lynde Friedman says:

A doctor many years ago said the island of denial was a good place to go for a while…. so I did…. as long as I could… but then you do have do leave that place at some point….:/

9. Sharon Lee Ferris says:

THANK YOU I HAVE HAD THIS FOR 16 YEARS AND I KNOW MY BODY HAS CHANGED BUT I WILL NOT GIVE UP AND I WILL EXCEPT EACH DAY AS IT COMES AND EACH WAY MY BODY CHANGES I HOPE YOU ALL STAY WELL AND FIGHT ON

10. Ksy
    Ksy says:

Nearly three years in now RRMS plus epilepsy plus sight gone in right eye BUT still extremely positive working 36 hour week walk dogs every day and an amazing supporting partner I’m very lucky BUT I never take anything for granted up and down days but mainly up 😊😊

11. Renee Worrell Davis says:

Sad and scary knowing that it can change ur entire life in a matter of a day, or a week. It’s a prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and fight on!

I can say that it does not do any good mentally sitting and waiting for the bad, I did that for almost 3 years…

• Gráinne
      Gráinne says:

Yes I feel I have been waiting for my MS to get worse now I’m on a pension, separated, moved to a ground floor apartment with bathroom converted to a wet room. But I have got involved with local community and it keeps me busy. 😉

12. Rae Toole says:

Took 20 years for MS to get me and after 25 years, I’m still ambulant but unable to walk more than several yards outside. I worked for 17years staring after 2 years diagnosed.
    I managed my MS round work and found that I didn’t have time to have this condition.
    I am very lucky. X

• Julie Haines Hoddes says:

About 10 years before significant changes and only accepted a wheelchair last year, which I should have done about 5 years ago. It’s so hard to swallow pride and admit you need help. But using a wheelchair has given me quality of life again and stopped me missing out on so much with my husband and daughter xx

13. Leslie Beaver says:

Fair comment. We need to be honest with ourselves. Sometimes even brutally honest. Personally, I am stable. But I realize that this is no guarantee for the future. I do not dwell on that fact. But I also do not deny.

• Jana Morgan
      Jana Morgan says:

It makes us all sad but give yourself 10 minutes to be sad and then move on and do something to take your mind off it. The only way I can not give in to day long sadness! Not a good place to stay!