My body heals itself at such a slow pace

I have noticed a strange phenomenon since having Multiple Sclerosis. I don’t have a clue if it’s actually related to MS in any way as I’ve never heard it talked about, but I thought I would mention it so others who are dealing with the same thing don’t think they are going crazy.

When I get something as simple as a pimple on my face (it’s not just for teenagers, you know), it will take a few months to fully heal instead of days as in times past. I’ve noticed the same thing happens with cuts too. I cut my hand over the weekend and although it is healing, it’s doing so at its own slow pace. Bizarrely slow, I have to say.

It could be due to some of the medications I take. I don’t take anything for MS itself as nothing has helped to slow down my progression, but I do take things for muscle spasms, pain, dizziness, help with sleeping and depression. A daily cocktail along with a slew of supplements and vitamins. It’s crazy because before MS I didn’t even take aspirin or cold medicine, now I have a rainbow collection of pills that would put a package of Skittles to shame.

When I was first diagnosed with MS I was taking a med called Rebif. I had to give myself intermuscular shots 3 times a week, similar to those taking Copaxone today. Those shots would bruise me so bad that over time I looked like I was being abused. I would have bruises on my thighs, arms and belly and they would take forever to heal. But the med would end up making me feel worse than MS actually did. I was medicating myself for the side effects of the medication. Such a vicious cycle.

Keeping a healthy diet helps to manage some issues, but it won’t rid the body of everything MS. I’m truly overjoyed for those that are able to fully manage MS by the things they eat, but it’s important for people to understand that not everybody has such great results. Each of us is unique with our own cellular makeup and our own responses to diet and meds.

If you face slow wound healing, know that you aren’t alone. I’m sitting here with a bandaged hand and a pimple on my chin to prove it happens.

1. Dona Purdy says:

wow. Thanks for sharing. That happens to me as well., the slow healing of simple cuts or ..yes, It’s ( at age 63 …mom lied. She said I would grow out of them) I thought it was just me. I don’t intend this to be mean, but glad to hear it!

2. Dana Marshall Dale says:

I know what you mean this ms makes me feel like I’m from another planet not earth my emotions are all over the place and sleep what is that can’t get hardly get any when I want to can when I don’t want to sleep

3. Tammy Denham says:

I had surgery 2 weeks ago for a kidney stone, doctor says oh the stint we had to put in will hurt until we take it out, but it isn’t that bad. Well tell that to my bladder and kidney. I hurt so bad I cry when I use the bathroom. It feels like fire is going to come out. If my urine boils I wouldn’t be too surprised.
    My PCP makes me take major antibiotics any time I get a slight cold. I have noticed that when my whole family gets a cold I am the last one to recover. It always takes me far longer. PCP says it is because of the meds.

4. Meeya
    Meeya says:

Yes, but PLEASE don’t forget that this longer healing time is also affecting people without MS – as it’s part of the ‘normal’ ageing process…!
    Our problem therefore is that such normal things coming on top of all our MS-related ailings acerbate our precarious health… plus, MSers tend to notice even small changes faster, as we’re so used to listening to our bodies!
    My advice: don’t blame EVERY THING on your MS – be aware of the bits happening to you that are just “normal” life! Don’t let it rule your minds like this… it won’t help…
    😚 Stay strong!

Thanks Penelope it does sound familiar to me. I have some injuries that have healed well but some like when I burnt my arm on the door of our log burner healed ok but I get reminded of it every time I rest it my chair arm. It feels as though I have just taken the bandage off. This is a definitely a MS problem as it looks ok and shows no sign of the burn. I have a few other places on me that MS likes to remind me of the same way and that is annoying.
    But I have worked out when I get something going wrong if it heals and goes away it’s not MS. If it doesn’t clear up and go away and stays with me after all medications have been administered then MS is behind it.

6. Sandra Castaneda says:

Its been over a month now when I had hurt my hand with the cast iron heater falling on it and smashing it and cutting the palm a bit also just now being able to use it more just still can’t grasp tightly onto things though

7. Jo Firman says:

There are breakthroughs products on the market which assists healing at a cellular level. As we have compromised immune systems ANY help is an advantage

8. Jennifer Major
    Jennifer Major says:

God me too. I end up in the hospital for bladder infections, my teeth are rotting out of my head. My skin seems thinner somehow, and breaks open and bruises so easily. Same with bruises. Everything takes forever to heal. For those living in places where Marijuana is obtainable, the ONOY thing that helps are marijuana extract creams. Nice things like shea butter etc in there too. But is a MIRACLE cream, I swear. Cuts, scratches, bruises, swelling, it starts working immediately and heals very fast. I even rub it on my gums when my teeth are hurting. it’s also the only thing that helps pain. Rub it into my back or legs and it takes away the pain very quickly and to an amazing extent. Thank God for that stuff! And no, it doesn’t make you high LOL. They are made with the nonpsychoactive parts of the plant.

And speaking of teeth, does anyone else have problems? They are rotting out of my head, brittle and break apart. I’ve lost 4 and many others are partly eaten away. It’s nothing to do with hygiene. I hate it!

9. Loraleen Jewel Durbin says:

I have the same. I started using Dial anti-bacterial soap, derm dr recommended. I don’t have nearly as many as I used to. But I get them…and they hurt. I have bruises that are almost 2 yrs old.

10. Mary
    Mary says:

Me too! I can’t believe at 52 years old, I’m getting pimples. Bruises and cuts seem to take a long time to go away, although I consider them my badges of courage for putting up with this disease.

11. Darren Paul Ballenger says:

I cut my finger two days ago, cutting veggies. Now I’m going to watch how I go. Stopped bleeding as per normal on the day with a bandaid or two. High traffic area, right on the end of the middle or ‘bird’ finger.

12. Katie
    Katie says:

Once again you have read my mind and have discussed the thing that’s been on my mind!
    I have too noticed this…. I have had blisters on my feet now since October- the shoes aren’t new anymore!
    I put it down to being on an immosuppresent, that and my body spending it’s time tackling that pesky central nervous system
    Thanks for making me feel a little less crazy

13. Jo Ann Maxwell
    Jo Ann Maxwell says:

For me, it is the feeling that I have at least one day after I have a fall. I feel yesterday not hard but all the way to the ground. And I feel off-balance for the rest of the day and at least the next day as well. It’s hard to explain. But it just seems I am off kilter in someway.

One of the things that I take every day is a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in about 8 ounces of water. There’s a lot of benefits to drinking apple cider vinegar, I started to help with acid reflex that was a symptom of the medication. Now I keep drinking it because I think the health benefits are worth it. I get the unfiltered and it’s not so strong to drink.

14. Justine Keegan Sienicki says:

Yea here too and for some reason the last few months I’ve gotten 3 cystic large acnes that have the very hard form sebum plugs that you jut can not go and pick and extract with tissues and have taken just like you said almost two months to shrink and go away. I never break out as an adult and yet these have happened same with a burn or cut takes forever to heal.

15. Sharon
    Sharon says:

Thanks for everyone sharing. Sometimes feel like maybe going nuts with all these out of the norm reactions. Yikes, used to love having a normal body with a clear head. Miss it allot! Would love to know if anyone has found anything that helps with the dizzies and lightheadedness . Probably is the one thing that seriously makes me feel crazy. Handling the foot drop, numb left arm, lack of balance, cog fog , fatigue, and not having the mobility or constantly changing moments but the lightheadedness can send me spiraling diwn the rabbit hole…

16. Allison Presley says:

I second the slow healing process. A burn to the roof of my mouth took a good week to heal recently, and scratches seem to never quite heal. Even OLD injuries ( broken bones and sprains) hurt at times, usually in the middle of the night. Crazy. D**do nervous system.

17. Margaret Wallace
    Margaret Wallace says:

Good it is not just me lol. Had cellulitis in my leg since August. One week of penicillin, back to docs, another week of pills, back to docs, this went on for months. I keep saying but I need a longer course as I am a slow healer, nobody listens. We do know our own bodies.

18. Guapalop Orjuela-Rivera says:

I almost fell in the shower and somehow held on BUT I cut my shin in the process with my nail… don’t ask me how. That was last summer and it still hasn’t finished healing. I am a slow healer to begin with but… it’s been months

19. Judy
    Judy says:

It seems that when some docs can’t find an answer to something, they may blame it on the patient…rAte their ears ringing while I psychoanalyze them??

20. Yvonne Roache says:

Had a tooth out a month ago and had go back twice recently to have it dressed which the dentist put down to my MS. Ditto on the spots and cuts I guess the body doing battle with the MS introducers !!!

21. Sarah Scott says:

We all know our bodies better than anyone just wish doctors would realise we know when things change it takes weeks even months for things to heal and things like colds coughs that used to get better in a week or two takes so much longer since ms but it’s all about realising it takes longer then you can cope

22. Laurie Demers
    Laurie Demers says:

You are not alone Penelope! I take daily injections of copaxone, and it takes forever for anything to heal. I had a cold recently that took 35 days to recover from, and if I so much as press to hard on my skin, I have bruises for weeks, cuts that last forever and yes, pimples that leave a scar, after sitting on my face for weeks. I don’t know if it is the medication or not, but it is something that is hard to ignore! Thankfully the burning from the Copaxone is short lived but the swelling and tenderness lasts for days after.
    I have wondered about this long healing phenomenon for a while now. Maybe our bodies are too busy attacking us to bother healing the daily bumps, bruises, cuts, colds and pimples

Thank you again for a post that speaks to so many of us! Your an amazing woman, and I appreciate the effort you make to let so many of us know we are not alone!

23. Adrian
    Adrian says:

Thank you so much for this Penelope.
    Wounds healing slowly is not an issue for me.
    I do however find that the millions of things i’m doing for my MS haven’t slowed it down.
    I keep hoping hoping hoping that there is something I can do and I hate to admit there is nothing I can do, but that may be the case

24. Christy Barber Garlotte says:

Something interesting.. when I had a bad relapse this past summer and half of my face went half numb, I also broke out in the same place on my face ( I usually have clear skin unless it’s that time of the month) and the blemishes are still there and I’m always getting new ones in the same area still. Seems permanent now and so strange!

25. Debra Bauries Ordoqui says:

I have noticed that as well, for some time now….( before my dx ) and not to be gross but the unfortunate part of the ” pimple ” is like an extreme strange ” pimple ” if that makes anyyyyyy sense