pause

Pause and rest

You’ve heard that old saying “when it rains it pours”? Well, that seems to be my life lately. Just when I think I’m coming up for air, boom…I get hit with something new. Sometimes those punches are MS related, other times they are just life being life.

Yesterday, I left the house for an appointment and when I put the key in the ignition to start my van, I discovered the battery was dead. Now, that’s not a catastrophe in and of itself, but it sure put a kink in my schedule. It took longer than expected, but I was able to get the van jumped off by a gracious neighbor, went to my appointment then headed over to the automotive store to have the battery tested. All seems okay with both the battery and the alternator so thankfully no added cost, just one of those “uh-oh, oh-well” moments we all have that take unplanned time out of our day.

The day before that I was dumping wet coffee grounds out of the coffee machine and managed to spill them all over the floor instead. I just stood there looking at the horrendous mess I made and thought how nice it would be to walk away and pretend that didn’t just happen. Then later in the day I slipped while transferring from my wheelchair to the couch because I wasn’t paying enough attention to my ever so calculated move, I dropped the shampoo while taking a shower causing the bottle’s pump mechanism to break, and I missed two important phone calls because I accidentally had my phone on silent.

Sometimes all the unexpected things start piling on top of each other and something as little as the front door slamming can send your emotions into hyper drive. You find yourself on the brink of simply throwing your hands up in the air and screaming “I quit.”

Wouldn’t that be nice? To magically make all your problems go away with a simple “I quit.” To have the ability to transport yourself with a wink and a nod to the beach so you could sip piña colada’s in the cool of the day without any worries, interruptions, mistakes or pressures. I tried closing my eyes and imagining myself out on the beach yesterday, but all I was able to manage was me drinking a lemonade in the garage.

When you feel you’re about to break…take a break, even if that means taking an adventuresome vacation to the garage, the bathroom, or the closet. Step away from all that’s happening and give yourself time to stop thinking so you can just breathe. The world isn’t going to fall apart when you take a time out and neither will you. You will be amazed at how much stronger you become in the process. Those little pauses can be life transforming.

Pause and rest today.

1. Monica Davis Bulls says:

I love reading your post and reading the responses. I feel like I go through so many of the same ones. I fell down on one of my many falls, and broke my humerus bone and and shoulder…yes just one more thing to add to MS…also have Crohn’s Disease. Yes, I have felt like quitting, but I have found out during this journey, I am a much stronger woman than I thought. I have been in pain, I have not been able to get up on my own at times, but I refuse to Quit…I do thank God for a wonderful husband. He does have to go to work M-F, and sometimes the weekend. I could have never gotten where I am with this broken arm and shoulder without him…so I have been through some rough times lately!

2. Odette van Straalen says:

This is what I tell myself when I’m in that place…..things can’t get much worse so I’m waiting for them to get better, and they will. They always do. Hope your things get better asap!

3. Dinah Saenz says:

I can relate. Too much on my plate and I just feel like giving up. Can’t though because my kids need me, especially my son with a disability. My bed is my best friend.

4. Kathy Hamilton says:

Today, I’m at, “I quit.” I’m tired of fighting MS, fighting to be treated legally, and ethically, tired of the smart-a** remarks made about my limitations, and just tired. Where do I go to turn in the MS I never asked to have in the first place?

5. Roland Clarke
    Roland Clarke says:

I hate those days when things go ‘pear-shaped’ as us Brits say. I’m always grateful when my wife is around, although she can’t pick me up off the floor =I have to drag myself to a ‘climbing frame’. Despite everything, I love the way that you can still exude positivity. Blessings.

6. Carla L Broadbent Rogers
    Carla L Broadbent Rogers says:

One of those days when I do not want to be me. Don’t know who I want to be…just not me. Be well.

7. Jeanine Dukelow says:

Thank you for verification on this. Everyone thinks I’m going crazy. You brighten my day with clarity every time I read your posts. So Thank You for all you are doing for me.

I think that all the ‘silly’ things that have happened to me are just the outward sign of MS. Some of the falls and trips I used to blame it on too much drink, but I can’t use that now. But through all the accidents that I have had I’m still here and still leaning to live. It’s been like ‘normal’ life but with a twist, it doesn’t go away.

9. Mary
    Mary says:

I’m recovering from a relapse. I dropped everything!! I was given a handy – Grip, so now I am able to pick up just about anything. The only problem is, now I drop things three or four times before I can actually get them picked up. It’s turned into a game, how many times do I use it daily. I am average in the 70s, how sad. H

10. Pam Harper Houser says:

Yep, I’m there. I’m possibly going through a relapse. Went to neurologist(new one), and ordered an MRI for Monday. Doesn’t want to give steroids yet. His first comment to me (I’ve been diag for 20 years) “you do NOT have MS-you’re making this up. I’m on my 2nd different therapy. Why does he think different after UTSW-Dallas confirmed my diagnosis 7 years ago?

• Amanda Draycott says:

There’s always one who thinks they’re the genius who knows something different and everyone you’ve seen up till now was wrong! So frustrating because it sends you questioning everything all over again. Don’t give that comment a second thought, you know what your dealing with better than anyone.

• Betty Brusco
      Betty Brusco says:

Change doctors. You don’t need these type of comments. You need to be your own advocate and you are the only who knows yourself. He sounds like he does not know about MS and there are neurology doctors who do not.

11. Meeya
    Meeya says:

LOL – when I managed to smash a glass bottle in my bathroom last week, I did simply walk away & took a break, ignoring the mess…
    Sure, the shards were still there when I got back later – but by then I had considerably calmed down & could much better deal with it all.
    Pause & rest… another piece of really good advice. Thanks again for reminding us of such important lessons learnt, Penelope! 💖

12. Jo Ann Maxwell
    Jo Ann Maxwell says:

I certainly have days where I drop everything. It is certainly annoying! And then there are days that my hand seems to work just perfectly. MS is so frustrating, isn’t it!

13. Ginger Grobe-Herbert says:

I am glad to hear y’all talk about the mental:emotional effects of MS. There are times when I have as many emotional as physical symptoms and thought that, on top of everything else I’m going crazy!!