broken heart

A Multiple Sclerosis broken heart

There is no cure at this time for Multiple Sclerosis but there is a cure for a broken heart. I know some people will disagree with me about the “MS cure” statement, but it’s true. There is no 100% proven way to fix MS. We can manage our symptoms, and for that I’m extremely thankful, but there is nothing yet that will literally eradicate MS from the planet aside from a miracle.

A person’s heart on the other hand, it can become broken, sometimes even completely destroyed when multiple sclerosis becomes a part of their life, yet no matter how damaged it may be, that broken heart can be mended. MS has this way of flipping someone’s world on its head, spinning them around and around creating dizzying chaos and confusion, and then leaving them to figure things out…many times all on our own.

A broken heart that comes from that kind of whirlwind hurts. Some people may have only experienced a slight fracture while others are holding pieces of a shattered mess in their hands. The heart is fragile and breaks regardless of how strong someone thinks they are.

If you look really close at my heart, you will see the cracks and missing pieces from some of the difficulties I have been through because of MS. Things like increased progression, having to use a wheelchair, needing help for things most of the world takes for granted, ending a much loved career and losing friendships.

But you will also see the beauty of my life shining through those very cracks. The pieces have mended and the cracks have healed, but the scars are still there to show what I have been through. Those scars are my beauty marks and I have to say I’m darn proud of them because they are a part of who I am.

You may be in the middle of a breaking heart right now. I know how badly it can hurt, but you are going to get through this and your heart is going to become a thing of beauty. Don’t stuff the pain down deep inside trying to hide it away. Let the emotions out as they come. Out of sight, out of mind doesn’t actually work. Let it all out so you can heal.

The amazing thing about a broken heart, unlike MS, is that it can heal. It takes time, but it will happen. Be patient with yourself and take it slow. Your heart is beautiful. Give yourself time to heal then let your life shine through…scars and all.

1. Jeanette Ford Lujan says:

I’ve held on for 27 years, through some of the biggest heartbreaks, such as, divorce, physical pain and many things related to MS. Loss leaves us confused and fragile. Thanks to my daughters guiding hand, has blessed me with dealing with my loss for many years now. Love her so much❤

2. Kelly
    Kelly says:

Us living with ms we have a broken hearts. And also the people who loves us so deeply has a broken heart too.

3. Jay Baker says:

MS is quite a challenge.Support from your family/friends is a definite plus. Do not give up. I do not want MS to win I have been fighting, yes FIGHTING MS for 21 years. MS may think it has WON…WRONG the people that have it are WINNING

4. Veronica Rusk says:

The memory & cognitive loss is the worse oh depression caused from interferon and if u had it before no good looking ok in the outside horrible on the inside

5. Linda OCONNELL
    Linda OCONNELL says:

I comment hoping someone will give me some kind of advice but no one ever does so I am done with this.

6. Meeya
    Meeya says:

Sad, but true: there’s ultimately only ONE person you can trust in & rely on, and that person is yourself! But that’s ok, because it’s enough, and you can get up again & again, to fight on & on… there’s always more strength in you than you thought possible!
    Remember, dear fellow warriors: giving up is not an option!
    Big HUGS to y’all. 😘

7. Brent Perpelitz says:

I understand too. I was diagnosed with progressive MS last May. I had to give up a lot these past few months. I had a good job l had to give up, l cant drive any more. I had plans of rebuilding and old truck but no use now. But l can still run on the treadmill for 1/2 hr 4 times a week and lift weights 3 times a week to stay strong. Im lucky this hit me later on in life… lm almost 58. I cant go hiking the big hikes in the mountains now but l will still go on little hikes and l just have to take it one day at a time and be positive

8. Linda OCONNELL
    Linda OCONNELL says:

I just feel depressed. I was diagnosed in early 2014. While trying to deal with this I also lost 8 family members in 9months with my 38yr old daughter Megan who hung herself due to domestic violence. She left 3 beautiful children and a promising nursing career. All of this just did me in. Now I am so tired and I have noticed new symptoms in the last 3 months. Extreme fatigue, legs weak when I walk, vision problems, depression. I am seeing a therapist but I am not feeling any better. Hopefully better days are ahead but its hard when your family is no longer with you.

• Rodger Ashton-Smith

That sounds horrendous and I c/feel for you. My wife has dealing with 22 years of family
      n abuse of all kinds (mental, sexual, and spiritual)and has been strong in doing that. I was looking after before I got MS and was still working so I am still helping when I can but it is hard especially when I can’t drive any more due to leg weakness. Her psychology treater has found that PTSD is similar but not the same. This is after many years of treatment and trying to find a way in to help her. My MS has been easier than what she has been going through.

• Rodger Ashton-Smith

I have been ‘lucky’ and not suffered a broken heart as I have a very loving wife that has been good for me.

9. Richard Eklund says:

I deeply understand!!. Two divorces 5 children. I didn’t understand, what was wrong with me. Nothing but brokenness.
    Getting better for me tho. I’ve learned to trust the only person who has ever TRULY LOVED ME.. Jesus….

10. Heather Tyler says:

I am experiencing broken heartedness now after being diagnosed almost 3 years ago. It’s finally tearing me down. My 32nd birthday is this coming Saturday, and I’m not sure I’m looking forward to it. Everything, and I mean everything in my world has changed. And I as if it’s at a stand still.

11. Leslie Beaver says:

I have actually never felt broken. Though pieces of my life have most certainly been shattered, chipped and damaged. But I still advance. With chin up and shoulders squared.