hearts

Words to live by

I find that the older I get the more comfortable I become simply being me. I have changed a lot over the years. I think we all have. Having Multiple Sclerosis has taught me to be more selective in where I focus my energies. I want to always be learning and growing as a person, to be filled with goodness and at peace with the person that I am.

I read something this morning that I feel is just too good not to share. This quote is something both raw and beautiful, something that speaks of the heart of many today…me included. It was penned by José Micard Teixeira.

“I no longer have patience for certain things, not because I’ve become arrogant, but simply because I reached a point in my life where I do not want to waste more time with what displeases me or hurts me. I have no patience for cynicism, excessive criticism and demands of any nature. I lost the will to please those who do not like me, to love those who do not love me and to smile at those who do not want to smile at me.

I no longer spend a single minute on those who lie or want to manipulate. I decided not to coexist anymore with pretense, hypocrisy, dishonesty and cheap praise. I do not tolerate selective erudition nor academic arrogance. I do not adjust either to popular gossiping. I hate conflict and comparisons. I believe in a world of opposites and that’s why I avoid people with rigid and inflexible personalities. In friendship I dislike the lack of loyalty and betrayal. I do not get along with those who do not know how to give a compliment or a word of encouragement. Exaggerations bore me and I have difficulty accepting those who do not like animals. And on top of everything I have no patience for anyone who does not deserve my patience.”

1. José Micard Teixeira says:

Dear Penelope, thank you for sharing my quote and thank you for feeling stronger with my words. You are an example 🙂
    Congratulations for your page Positive Living with MS – Multiple Sclerosis 😉

• Sandra Pereira
      Sandra Pereira says:

Dear Penelope, José Micard Teixeira taught me to say no.
      No to what it hurts me, no to people that want to take advantage of me and yes to life.
      Im very glad that his experience and courage to say what he feels and passed through, give us the strenght to carry on.
      I wish you all the best Penelope, and for you Micard i wish that you never lose the power to say your truth no matter what others think!!!
      Sandra Pereira

• José Micard Teixeira
        José Micard Teixeira says:

Thank you for your words my sweet friend Sandra. The truth is that you did the action. You choose to change. Congratulations ☺

He sounds like a nice person to know. He certainly got to the heart of his problem. We should take what we can from his writtings.

3. Cathy Bauder says:

I also have got comfortable with my MS, after 30 years I do not remember my body without it. What I have learned is you can sit back day after day and say “why me” or you can try to enjoy your life, some people do not get the chance if you get Cancer or ALS etc.

4. Wendy
    Wendy says:

Once again you’ve steered me back on course. This morning I received a text (at 6:30 am) asking for a favor from a “friend” I haven’t heard from in years. It’s not a huge task but I only hear from this person when they need a favor. I’ve been weeding what toxic people I can from my life but I still have an urge to help this person & feel guilt for saying no. Alas, she is a take a mile or two when offered an inch type & responding just leads to more “favors”. I’d be okay if I could get a favor back but that never happens with her. Reading this post reminded me I do not have patience or energy for these types of people anymore. It can get really lonely, but the peace is worth it! Thanks again, Penelope!

5. Evelyn
    Evelyn says:

Wowzer! So true, so very well said, direct yet still kind! I love this. I may have to copy this and send to a few people! 🤔😬hee hee…made me smile!

Evie

6. Della Smalley says:

Penelope we have to be strong because MS is not for Sissys ,wach day is different are mnds want to do things around the house,but are bodies say NO WAY.MS WARRIOR FOR 10 years

7. Kellie
    Kellie says:

Wow! Penelope, once again, you have touched on my EXACT state of mind this morning. Sadly, the antagonist of my latest emotional battle is a family member. And aren’t those the most painful ones….