Don’t worry, be happy

Have you ever gone out to your car on a cold, frosty morning in a hurry to go somewhere? You crank the car and turn the defrost up on high in hopes of melting the ice covering your windshield but it’s just not thawing out quick enough for you. So you do what we have all done at one time or another, you put the car in gear and try to make your way down the road with only a small section of the window defrosted. It’s not easy to do but you know the window will keep thawing out as you drive.

It’s hard to drive like that, isn’t it?! I kind of view us going through life like driving down the road with that partially thawed out, iced-up window. We don’t have the full picture in view of what tomorrow will bring, only a small glimpse of where we are going today.

We don’t know if just up ahead the road is out or if we are heading into a traffic jam. We can’t see far enough to know anything really. All we can do is simply get through the moment. We will make it and get where we are going, we just have to do it step by step, minute by minute and moment by moment.

Living with Multiple Sclerosis, you never know from one day to the next what life is going to hand you. You don’t know when you wake up in the morning if the day will be a good day; a not so good day; or a terrible, downright bad day. You just don’t know until you open your eyes and start the day. And most of the time you don’t find out until the moment is upon you.

Will you have enough strength to manage an 8-hour work day or will you barely make it through a morning shower? Will your legs carry you long enough to pick something up at the store or will you remember what you went there to get in the first place? Will muscle spasms limit you, will pain slow you down or will vertigo bring you to your knees? You never know until it happens.

It would be awful to put life on hold, to pull over and park on the side of the road refusing to move forward simply because you couldn’t see far enough ahead. Don’t give MS the satisfaction of limiting your life like that. You may not know what will happen throughout your day, but you have a small glimpse of what you can do right now, so do those things.

Don’t worry about what might happen today or tomorrow. I have found that every time I’ve worried about the unknown, things never happened the way I thought they would. My worries stressed me out way more than life itself did.

So today…don’t worry, be happy! Choose to keep going with the little bit you know you can do today. There is a beautiful future ahead of you, you just can’t see it in all its wonderment right now. Everything is going to be alright.

I’ve had a couple of bad days but I’m on holiday in the NZ sounds and MS doesn’t give a sh*t where you are or doing. It still plays up and can embarrass you with no problem so I had to work carefully and try to live through the problems it gave me. I think it’s finished and I hope it has because tomorrow we are going to be on a boat overnight in the Douteful Sounds so I don’t need help from it.

2. Josephine Regan says:

This is so true I had a great start to today went for a walk got lots of washing done and then I crashed not able to wag all afternoon .But try and explain that to people that dont have ms is very hard .

3. Colm Mooney
    Colm Mooney says:

Today, like some days over last few weeks has been bad. Not physically but emotionally, your frosted windscreen description is so apt, a small aperture of light surrounded by darkness and fear, fear like Iv never known and Iv faced knife wielding drunks and gunmen. Fear of the unknown. Diagnosis was 4 years ago but I think iv lived in denial. Going to a support group tonight. Thanks C.

4. Daniela Robertson says:

You always get it right. Have you written a book with your quotes and shorts like this. If not, you should I’d buy it. Leave on coffee table and when anyone asks I can refer them to browse.

5. Stefan Meulen says:

Well put, i don’t drive but i hear you. I always try to take the day one step at a time with a smile because that smile might not reflect my day but it might make someones elses.

6. Gail M. Ferguson says:

This is why I prefer for my family and friends to not ask me how I feel today! It is a crapshoot! I may wake up feeling great but two hours later I am a holy wreck! No balance, Vertigo, and a variety of other ridiculous symptoms I can hardly explain and would rather not anyway. I just do my best to navigate my way through the days.

7. Richard Eklund says:

I have an ex wife who took my 3 little children and went to her lover before and after my diagnosis. Been 10yrs now.
    Thank God He removed her!. Its made me stronger, Not bitter.

• Wendy Aitken says:

Agree wholeheartedly…I can’t agree to a future plan next week/next month/next year because I don’t even know if I will be able to do xyz today

• Lola Hale says:

I agree too. Its hard to explain it to bosses, family or friends. Yes yesterday I could “….” tomorrow I don’t know. It makes me a bit of a flake too. “Sure I will come to that party/gathering/event in ? days time”, then last minute “sorry I can’t make it today”….

• Robert Krone says:

Agreed. I went from being able to work, drive, and walk without an assistive device to needing a walker inside my apartment and a power wheelchair to go anywhere outside of it, even down the hall to check the mail. Can no longer work or drive either. All of that less than 5 years after I got married. The driving and working actually happened in less than a year.