The day my career ended because of Multiple Sclerosis

I had an extremely difficult time watching my career come to an end. It was the last thing I ever thought would happen, so when it did I took it hard. I did all I could to hide my cognitive problems from others. I fumbled my way through each day knowing that life was changing yet refusing to acknowledge those changes.

As a web programmer, I could meet any challenge thrown at me and beat it. I developed some amazing systems over the years so when Multiple Sclerosis came along and began disrupting those abilities, I didn’t like it one bit. I would try programming but just couldn’t wrap my head around the complexities of the code and get my brain to function.

I struggled with everyday tasks like trying to remember if I had washed my hair while in the shower so I would wash it again just in case, or forgetting I had something in the oven even with a timer set. Who could burn a casserole with a wonderful smell filling the house and a timer set? Me!!! So, to get confused looking at code, the very code I at one time could decipher in my sleep…well, that was devastating.

The day I made the decision to resign, I cried. Not just one tear either. A flood and an ocean of tears. I covered it up well, but my heart was broken. Having to walk away from the life I new and loved made me feel like a failure. It was a tough decision to make too, one that I struggled with for over a year. Do I or don’t I?

I did and I have to say I’m thankful for it. I’m glad that I put my own wellbeing first for once in my life. It’s been close to three years now since I stepped down and I still miss my job. I find myself trying to work with complex code from time to time, but even doing simple tasks with the computer has its difficulties. I’m still smart, I’m still me, I’m still a somebody. My job didn’t define me as a person. I’m just taking a much needed lifelong vacation from it all.

I try to stay focused on the big picture. My career wasn’t who I was. It was only a part of my life. I am so much more than the things I can do (or can’t do)…and so are you. For some reason, we put our identity into things that don’t actually define us.

You aren’t a chef, or a fireman, or a store clerk, or a nurse any more than you are multiple sclerosis or any other ailment. You are an amazing, wonderful, strong, inspiring, brave, courageous person who has a lot to give even in your weakest moments.

I know it’s scary, the unknown.

“How will I? How can I? What about? What’s next?”

I know, it’s terrifying to take a step forward when you can’t even see the road in front of you. But regardless of how you feel, I can tell you with confidence that you aren’t a failure, stupid or broken. You aren’t the disease you live with or the disability you now have. You are a somebody…and being a somebody is the best thing anybody could ever be.

1. Stephanie Beck
    Stephanie Beck says:

MS shattered my dreams at 19 and at 38 MS forced me to leave my career and to this day I am still grieving. Grieving that feeling of making a difference in someone’s life, grieving the social aspect of being around people everyday, grieving that feeling of having a purpose, and grieving because I have no clue who I am anymore nor do I know what I’m supposed to do with my life.
    I was diagnosed on July 2, 1989, a month before my 19th birthday. I had just been accepted into the physicians assistant program at Wake Forest/NC Baptist Hospital; I was 1 of 39 people accepted out of over 1000 applicants. I was working for a Urologist that summer to get my clinical hours needed before the program started. I had been having health issues for a couple of years that my PCP just kinda blew off but the week before my diagnosis I had a major flare and was then told I had MS. Back then we didn’t have yahoo or goggle to be able to do research on what having MS really meant. I bought a few books on MS but didn’t want to think about all the things the book told about what the future with MS might look like. I was so sick that summer that I had to quit my job and move back home with my parents. The dr that I worked for gave me a pretty stern taking to before I left. He talked about how passionate I was about a medical career and that I was a goal setting go getter and would make an excellent PA one day but that day couldn’t be in the next few years. He told me about how rigid PA school would be and how he knew I would give it a 110% and that I would not give anytime to “taking care of Stephanie ” and that the MS would be in a constant chaos and that after school was over, I would probably never be well enough to hold down a job. He was not being mean or ugly, just brutally honest with me. I went back to college in the fall and had to withdraw three weeks before the semester ended due to another vicious flare. Due to not finishing that semester, I also had to withdraw from the PA program. My dream (since I was 7 years old) of being a PA was shattered. I felt my life was over. I felt worthless, lonely, angry, bitter, and devastated.
    Much time passed with marriages and babies and somehow I had stumbled into the world of mental healthcare. I decided I wanted to be a counselor so I enrolled back at the college I had been forced to leave all those years earlier. I had an awesome supervisor who stuck her neck out and believed in me and she allowed me to work on a new pilot program we were launching, a mobile crisis management team. In Lamen’s term, we were going to take mental healthcare to where the people were in crisis mode, out in the community. The program was a great success. I was one semester away from finishing my BS degree and would be able to work with less supervision and get a raise. I loved my job. I was working 45-55 hrs a week, going to school full time and had two kids and a husband at home, every thing was going well. On December 6, 2008, I was doing an assessment on a crisis client, and I started repeating the same question like 8-10 times and also repeating the answer but couldn’t comprehend writing the answer down and my hand and arm went numb and I couldn’t keep my balance when I tried to stand. Thankfully I had a co-worker with me who just stepped up and took over the assessment. I did my best to discretely get out of the room. That was my very last assessment I would ever do. I went to the dr on December 8,2008 and the dr told me it was time that I leave my job to take care of myself. Once again, I was devastated by my shattered dream. I did finish the next semester of school but never got to use my degree. I resent the MS for taking my dreams away.

2. Brenda Mclaughlin says:

Mine did I lost my career , husband and friends.I have good days and bad days, it’s bad today.Laugh at the things that frustrate you, and it helps so much. I am 66 and it keeps me going,I used to be a publican 16-17 hours a day 7 days a week I am80 percent blind, in a wheelchair , I have Primary Progressive MS, so I do not get myself down now , if it was not for Facebook and carers I would not know what was going on in the world.So people who have M S think of all the people worse off than you and you will get through x

3. Debbie Bird says:

I have been given help to stay in the workforce with a scheme called ‘jobs in jeopardy’. An OT recommended a cooling vest which makes the world of difference, I have a pen which also voice records to remind me what my notes are about and I am currently having sessions with an exercise physiologist to improve my strength and balance as well as an AFO to correct foot drop which worsened my fatigue and falls risk. All was Govt funded ( in Australia) He saved my (working) life as before him I thought I had to quit. It’s taken me 25 years to accept help but I am glad I did. Happy to provide more info if people want to know.

4. Phyllis Gooch says:

I worked with MS for over 12 years, trying to cover all my symptoms…I struggled til age 62…had a huge flare right before my retirement date, but I made it…had a bang up party…and walked out with only a handful of people realizing I had MS. I didn’t cry because I was happy to go. Started my new career as a starving artist. LOL 😀

5. Maggie Hecht
    Maggie Hecht says:

Bless all of you. I, too, am in the same leaky boat with you/ I worked with people with disabilities, but when I realized that I could no longer help them , along with the inability to drive the 30 miles to work every day due to ON and the mind bending fatigue, I had to quit. Still miss it every day. Hang in there, everyone, and keep on trying to educate the world. Good luck.

6. Wendy Temple says:

I work in a Primary School as a TA – I walk a little slower, take stairs 1 at a time. It’s the kids who keep me going each day with their smiles. I finish at 1.30 and come home and crash for a few hours but without work I would go crazy. Don’t get me wrong, there are days it really hurts to get out of bed but I just take 1 step forward, 2 steps back and keep going.

I had a hard time leaving work and as been mentioned it doesn’t go away, so I have put it in a place I don’t visit much. It will never go away because it’s part of your life whether you want or not. I did have some help the first year that did help me, so I don’t dwell on it so much. But it is who you are and should be in a safe place. MS is like another ‘job’ and can be treated as such.

8. Cheryl Reinsburrow says:

I had a FML in place and quit because of the way I was treated at work, in a hospital is all places. It got to a point I hated to go in. I forgot how to do my job at times from brain fog. Sorry you had to give up your job.

9. Julie McVicar says:

I’m at this point can’t keep working while the rest of my family suffers, but I’m m worried that my neurologist won’t support the fact that I want to stop working therefore won’t be eligible for any financial help.

10. D E Bohn
    D E Bohn says:

I can’t support myself without working, and yet I can’t work. I have sought assistance from Centrelink and even though I have letters from my neuro, GP and assorted other doctors who state I am unable to work – Centrelink insists that I can and that I must continue to seek employment. I don’t even know what kind of work to apply for – because I know I can’t do my previous job due to cognitive issues, fatigue and lack of focus. But since my Resume all points to that work – no-one else will even consider me, and with over 100 applications I’ve had zero responses. The stress (financial, emotional, psychological) is overwhelming but, in order to receive assistance, I have to continue to jump through these ridiculous hoops. It borders on abuse.

11. KT
    KT says:

I struggled for a year thinking of quitting my job. I could not take the horrible pain having to be on my feet all day. I was 29 and felt like a total loser. That was 10 years ago and I work temporary jobs as I can. They are very flexible with my schedule if I need to take off, but any time I do, co workers always try to blame it on every other thing they can come up with even when I tell them, I had an attack or worsening of symptoms. It’s like they don’t hear me. It makes me want to scream at them ” I have MS!! It’s horrible and it was everything I had in me just to get up today!!”, but I never do. Anyone else ever feel that way?

12. Trinity Rose says:

Yep from $200,000 a year to Centerlink $15,000 … Had to sell my business and took nearly a year to over the anxiety and a move halfway cross the country to a better climate .. On the upside losing the high tensile stress while trying to accept the diagnosis has actually been great for my progress… Now want to work again so adjusted from security to running online vintage dress shop – allows me to do my passion at my pace

13. Kevin McPherson says:

I had a terrible time coming to terms with needing to quit a job I worked hard to get and still loved. Now 4 years on in I still feel useless getting up every morning with no real purpose for doing so. But I’m slowly adapting, albeit not happily

14. Kim Danielle says:

My husband is struggling every day going to work with cognitive function reduction,depression and chronic fatigue . His work don’t know . He just spent a week in hospital . MS sucks !

• Mary P. Leath says:

My husband struggled last year too. His physician put him on extended leave which ended with him retiring. Very very hard on him psychologically. A year later and he has adjusted better. Progressive MS isn’t for the faint of heart! Including the care partner!

15. Riffraff Smythe says:

Just been made redundant and I’m finding really hard to find a job I can do. Most things are too physical or too fiddly as my fingers are half numb. My balance isn’t great either so I’m at a loss really!!

16. Roland Clarke
    Roland Clarke says:

I was an equestrian journalist and photographer when I was diagnosed in 2000. I managed to work for about five years using various aids, but meeting deadlines got harder as did getting around shows in rough ground. I even ran a horse show and my colleagues bought me a wheelchair to get around. But as the MS took more of that life away, I retired. I have now become an almost house-bound fiction writer which keeps my brain active. However, even on the days when I can’t get my brain to work or my fingers to behave, you are so right – I am still somebody and will be when the writing becomes impossible. Many thanks for all your inspiration.

17. Bryan Johnson says:

I’m going through it right now and I’m only 41 and was at the top of my profession with many lucrative years ahead of me and my severe cognitive issues has taken it all away amongst the terrible fatigue and heat tolerance. Im very sad and can’t even try and think about what’s next.

18. Maria W
    Maria W says:

Struggling with it now. My job accommodates me and I work from home. It’s the fatigue that really does it for me, more than the lack of concentration at times, etc. Work is all i can handle now. I’m too wiped out to do anything after working. My primary care wrote me off work 2 1/2 yrs ago and I couldn’t do it. So, I’ve tried everything to make this work. Thanks for a great article.

19. Shanna Kinser says:

I was working on a professional master’s degree, for a second career in Christian ministry. Chaplaincy and a second master’s to teach at the community college level. Two and a half years invested and all of a sudden my health tanked. I had to medically withdraw. What I took almost as hard as that devastation was my medical team and the state evaluating the extent of my disabilities. Total. What some, even with MS and other autoimmune disease, don’t seem to understand is that multiple deficits, that can be severe, affect some of us. It’s not giving in or quitting or not adopting the right diet and exercise habits or simply having the wrong mindset. That’s rubbish.

20. Jane Evans says:

Lost my job a few years ago after I took my employer’s to court for disability discrimination!! Although I won this really wasn’t the point it was to make them realise what they were doing and try to hopefully make sure other people with disabilities didn’t suffer as I had.. the firm was one of the biggest employers in Britain!! Iv done a couple of little jobs since but the damage mentally and physically took its toll…

21. Sue Smith says:

I am doing my best but the trouble is I don’t really know how long I can keep going. Some days are great, some not so great, occasionally awful! It is difficult to know what the future holds for anyone, for someone with PPMS even more so. Xx

22. Vicky Hancock says:

I got ill in 2015 was off work for a few months they kept saying it was a trapped nerve, I was finally diagnosed in Aug 2016 and it works out had it since I was 20yrs old, 42 hrs old now no one listened my mums twin sister has it too since 16 yes old, anyway am having a bad relapse since January I’ve worked for my company 27yrs they were supporting but now they say that if I can’t return to work then 2 things can happen pensioned off or dismissed thru ill health all depends on occupational health, it is really worrying I struggle getting any financial help now let alone if I have to leave my job, I don’t want to leave but I’m finding everyday a struggle And sadly nothing I can do about it

• Gail M. Ferguson says:

Please read others comments. You will find we all have a similar story or at least a bit of commonality. That certainly doesn’t make any of our situations easier but it is somewhat comforting to know we are not alone in our fight to accept our new lives and redirect our interests. Easier said than done but forging on is better than succumbing and letting MS win. Best wishes.

23. Gail M. Ferguson says:

My career came to a screeching halt. I kept falling and was told I couldn’t come back until I knew what was wrong and got it fixed. This all after I had just been given a significant promotion. I grieved the loss of my career as I would have grieved any loss. After fifteen years I have finally realized it would be impossible for me to have kept up with and continued as I was going. Very difficult to accept but not impossible. I have now redirected my life in several other venues and activities.

24. Julie Morse Horton says:

So much of our self worth & purpose was put into our careers & now we have to readjust & find a new part of us. We will get there. I have to constantly think of my blessings or the sadness of change will bog me down fast.

25. Marian Fuller says:

Quitting a job I loved and was very good at was very difficult for me!!!The day I told my Neurologist that I think I need to stop working, He said I am making a good decision; one that he could not make for me.

26. Denise Cicchetti says:

I was diagnosed July 2016 –numbness on left side. Then a flare up w severe eye pain bladder dysfunction couldn’t walk or speak . I had to leave my job of 13 years. Thankful I’m on medication feeling better and have incredible support from my husband.

27. Adrian Horne says:

Yes, never easy. I was a teacher – having retrained at 30 – and had 25 years under my belt. I suddenly suffered several health events – a possible stroke, poor concentration etc etc and ultimately drop foot/spasticity. There was no CLEAR diagnosis so it then took 18months of testing to finally diagnose PPMS – I cheered, it had a name. I changed to supply teaching, despite my ex-wifes insistence to leave my ‘stressful’ job, and she left instead !!!
    Initially a crutch was adequate but then I began to suffer with vertigo and falls, thanks to the drop foot, so PE and playground duty became impossible.
    Bit by bit cognitive skills began to decline. In my job class teachers left me a plan for their absence and it often required use of interactive white boards to present the work. I had no problems recalling long established skills/info but new information just wasn’t retained. New areas in lessons were quickly forgotten, plans became hard to follow and increased technology that was needed made NO sense at all. I had no desire to leave under a cloud by teaching badly or falling on a child so I contacted my agency and left. I turned to one-to-one lessons and booster classes but, still struggling, I left schools completely and began home tutoring in Core subjects. It was rewarding to see the children move on so well but, over time, punctuality, reliability and confidence in subject content declined and I conceded defeat leaving work completely.
    I haven’t been happy since and, due to funding my own existence (through pride and refusal to use benefits) I also became bankrupt.
    The chaos of 38 children was reduced to just myself and eventually I purchased my rescue Snowdogs before I went insane. I still pine for the classroom but I know I made the right decision and I am still contacted on Facebook by ex-pupils (now in their 30’s and 40’s with families, children and grandchildren – instant friends/families.
    Sorry, I got on a roll again. Must have needed to get that out of my system !!!

• Gail M. Ferguson says:

How incredibly brave you are! It is the most crushing thing I believe we all with this hideous disease have to face sooner or later. I am so sorry for your particular struggles and pain but I applaud your tenacity for not giving in! I was in the medical field and had patients lives to consider so the decision to end my career was made for me. I am glad you have found a bit of peace. Getting things out is a relief! This is the place for it and it is safe!

• Adrian Horne says:

Thank you Gail. All I can say is that I don’t feel brave, my respect is with the people that are diagnosed earlier in life.
      I had 50 years. Caved, climbed, walked miles with my dogs, went to Uni, had a family, 3 kids, 3 grandkids (one of which I only just found out about!!) I’ve travelled – Africa, balloons over the Masai Mara, the Alps, Europe etc etc. (Now I’ve said that I feel like I’m bragging 🙁 ) What I’m getting at is that I’m pretty well past my ‘sell by date’ but I’ve used it well. I can’t complain because I regularly meet younger MSers who are likely to have their best years stolen and limits put on all that they do. THAT is unjust, THEY are the brave people and I rarely hear them complain. Swear, curse, mutter etc, yes – justifiably so. Complain or whinge, not so much.
      Thanks for your words, I wish you well xx

28. Carol Bossom says:

Thank you for sharing … I just left my job / not my career as I had left that earlier because of my son. But I cried and cried and everyone said out yourself first – 🙂 and its been 2 weeks and I’m beginning to see why this is ok. But thank you for sharing … I needed to read this ❤️
    Take care 🙂

29. Tracey Pickering says:

I work for two local charities although it’s not paid work…obviously i would rather be doing i was made redundant after been in hospital. I did try to fight for my job it was on principal more than anything but when you find a document on your bosses desk that reads MS!!!!!! underlined four times you know you days are numbered…least i don’t have to work under a dictatorship!!!

• Jane Heron says:

I work for myself now, same happened to me I had a high powered job with an american company , as soon as I was diagnosed the vultures started circling… colleagues you thought were friends after your job, first on the list for redundancy etc, I fought too, in the end was a relief to go, much better now my boss is great cos its me LOL 🙂

30. Debbie Mills says:

This was me too. It wasn’t until the Doctor finally said I couldn’t be a good mother and work, since my fatigue was bad enough just looking after the 2 kids. He was right even though I fought it.

31. Karen Xenos
    Karen Xenos says:

Thank you, thank you. I believe we all must struggle with the same feelings when that time comes. The anguish, confusion, self doubt. I was blessed by a neurologist who would not allow me to return to work. He put my best interest first, I’m not sure I would have!! Thanks for sharing!

32. Jan Allary says:

I was sick of being so useless there….being so paranoid about making a mistake,, so quitting (retiring) was the best thing I could do for all concerned.

33. Mary devereux
    Mary devereux says:

The day I was told my MS was not compatible with my job the fear that came in to my heart was terrify who was going to pay the bills how would we manage nearly one year later that decision is been made for me going from been an intelligent woman with a very responsible job to unemployable it’s sole destroying but I also know I cannot give my all to work and home

34. Cheryl Cabot Tarter says:

Thank you for putting how hard that step was into words. I truly loved my work. Unfortunately, the stress of the job and a bully for a HR director I had no choice. Still wonder what my life would be like without MS but that’s not a positive focus. I had 25 good years of work after my diagnosis. I am blessed.

35. Heather McQueen says:

I was a music teacher. Can’t play piano, viola and even voice has changed. Taught secondary school (11-18) for 12 years and primary (3-12) for 5years. Couldn’t do my job anymore so was medically retired- declared unfit to teach and unfit to work. Pension is crap after only 17yrs but not entitled to anything else. Currently get DLA but live in fear of PIP changeover.

36. Angela Yvonne
    Angela Yvonne says:

I was an executive assistant as well., and I was amazing at it, I was dx with MS in 2006 and was put on great treatment BUT as the disease continued to attack me I was forced to recognize that my brain no longer functions the way it used to. I feel so dumb. I am relearning how to function, and reprogramming my brain. MS really sucks and it is so hard to make people understand.

37. Marianne Wallace says:

I was a midwife and had to make the decision to medically retire at the grand old age of 39 ! I was not supported in my career and it was made ‘difficult’ for me to continue ! I could have worked longer if I’d been given that support so … I never felt that ‘I’ made the decision to leave . It was made for me sadly.

38. Ayleene Moreno says:

Why quit the fight ? Can we instead change fields ? I don’t want to resign my life and allow MS to become it. What does one do other than barely survive ? I had been working out and eating high protein diet for first tree years and felt better than ever . I’ve stopped working out and I’ve started feeling tired all the time . Exhausted when I climb the steps to my room. This tells me can’t take it lying down . I have to fight while I still have fight in me . I was a social worker for 11 years and worked two jobs and I’m home now doing real estate part time and I miss work. I know I can’t afford the high stress of my old career. But the idea of not doing something depresses me. What are some things everyone here has moved on into career wise that can be done well despite of MS?

• Jenny Chappell says:

Complete career and lifestyle change. Had horses from being 17 but ms dizziness put an end to that. Now work in a retail outlet as a volunteer. If i dont feel well no pressure to go in but lovely bunch of workmates who really understand. Very stressful job prior to that then a massive relapse made me realise i was more important than the job. Theres loads out there just look

• Ayleene Moreno says:

I need the income though . I’m not on disability. I don’t have health insurance. I have to work. I don’t have much family to speak of and none that helps me. So I have to fight. Will fight. You say you have dizziness. How you get around? Do you drive? Take public transportation? What I need is to figure out all these things and plan ahead. When and how anyone determines when not safe to drive. Is this overtime or overnight change? These type of discussions for enlightenment purposes.

39. George Xlnt Robertson says:

I still miss work. Even after the best part of ten years. But I’m a different person now. A better person. Life is different from what I expected, but I am happy and I have found peace. MS is crap, but beating it is just a state of mind. Namaste

40. Clare
    Clare says:

I’ve been diagnosed for 12 years now and I still find it really difficult that my job retired me on ill health grounds. I was a Personal Assistant to an Executive of one of the biggest banks in the UK. The unfortunate thing was that I WAS the job! So when it all stopped so did I and I’ve never understood how to go about MY life now.

41. Mae Pasam says:

Loved my job as an RN, dificult to let go, loved walking to patients room to give my care!! But came to a point money or health??!?? So now I’m happy couldn’t walk the long distances moving on to things that I can do but with no pressure. Positive & smiling. MS is tough!!

42. Emily Simonson says:

I left on my own terms, still wasnt/isn’t easy because my mind still says I could do it, but my body screams no you were miserable while still working. My last employer did everything they could to accommodate me, but when I could barely make it through 2 hours of a work day I knew it was time.

43. Stuart Wilson says:

I had to stop working after my MS diagnosis but the UK government are now trying to force me back into work by saying I’m no longer sick enough to claim benefits 🙁

• Stuart Wilson says:

Nope, they drive the disabled into poverty and expect that to solve the problem, or force people to commit suicide, they don’t really care which.

• Rodger Ashton-Smith

That sounds very familiar to our govt system. If you have 2 people that have health problems they don’t want to know you. The way to get their help is the same, get down to poverty or leave the area. Just like Meatloaf has said, ‘Life’s a lemon and i want my money back.’

44. Carol Phillips says:

My Daughter was a server and had been since she was a teenager. Along with the lack of strength to carry trays, fatigue, painful leg spasms, and short-term memory loss, etc., she has been unable to continue to work. And to add to her depression, Social Security has now made it necessary for her to seek an lawyer to help her get benefits. People with MS didn’t raise their hands hoping to be the one chosen. But, too many times they are diminished and made to feel they could do something else. People need to be aware the symptoms don’t disappear just because the afflicted work elsewhere. MS folks want to work!

45. Richard Martinez says:

I never thought I would have to stop working, one day I woke up to go to work and it took me 1 hour to get dressed then after going downstairs I had to sit down to rest because I was exhausted. Couldn’t stand after that… never walked again after 25 years my career came to end…

46. Jan Hoback Jasper says:

It’s been 14 years since I have worked. I miss the challenges of work. I miss the respect I had earned as a member of senior management. Like Beth Ann, I don’t know if I will ever be “over” it.

47. Leslie Beaver says:

This sounds very familiar. For me, the vision issues had ultimate sway. As my fatigue and other physical issues could be accommodated. But not my inability to see.

48. Sheryl Braswell says:

It was a hard day when I realized I could no longer work. It was before I was diagnosed. I muddled through my life during that time and could not put another life on the line. It was a relief finding out what was causing my brain to mess up. I then had something to fight. I miss work but have a new life now that I love.

49. Maria Clancy says:

this is your job now.you can put how im feeling in one sentance or this amazing piece.I Thank You for saying wisdom i have learned but cant put into words.

50. Catherine Lisowski says:

And me. I worked in a shop but i can no longer stand up for longer than half an hour and my arm shakes so i don’t think i’d get far trying to operate the till and pack bags…..i get so bored and frustrated – my mind works fine 99% of the time…..

51. Geo Stewart says:

Without working, even though im unable to now. It feels like there is now a huge hole in my life now, and that hole has been filled with MS

52. Ron Wheeler says:

I left my optometry practice 1 1/2 yrs ago. I wanted to leave on my terms. I was still functioning fairly well, but I don’t think I could do it now! I know the feeling!

53. Kathy Miller Offerman says:

After 30 years with the same company, it was terrible to hear the words from my doctor that it was time to go on disability. It was one of the worst days I had experienced since learning I had MS.

54. Beth Ann Baumgartner says:

Hardest thing was being told I could no longer work. I loved my job and customers! Took me over a year to get over it…some days I don’t know if I will ever be “over” it. Been over 6 years now!