A Multiple Sclerosis hero is…

Multiple Sclerosis heroes come in all shapes and sizes. You normally can’t pick them out from the people standing in line at the grocery store or from those seated in a restaurant…but they are there. MS heroes are those amazing people who charge into battle when they have every right to hide under the covers. They don’t fit into any particular mold, wear a noticeable badge of honor or win any bravery awards. But brave…oh, they are!!!

It’s not easy to become an MS hero. You can’t wish yourself to be one just because you want to be one or simply slap a label on your forehead that says “Look at me, I’m an MS hero.” You can’t gain such a title by merely blogging about it, dreaming about, or talking about it.

You become one by staying in the fight and hanging in there even when you’re shaking in your boots. You hang on through the hard times as you learn to cope with the constant changes, through the emotional rollercoaster you find yourself riding, and even through the struggle of dealing with people who disappoint you.

Part of becoming a hero is standing up (even if only on the inside) when terrible things happen and choosing to push through the hard times while holding your head up high as the tears are flowing. Yes, heroes cry. They fall, tremble, get fearful, worry, hurt…but they don’t give up!

A Multiple Sclerosis hero is…
someone who wakes up in the morning feeling terribly awful but chooses to start their day anyway.
They rise to the challenge of the day even when the challenge is overwhelming.
They see the struggle that needs to be overcome and face it…head on.
They stand in the front lines shoulder to shoulder with others just like them.
They push past the stereotypes the world uses to define MS and choose to define MS in their own terms.
They refuse to quit.
They find victory at the end of each day, even when feeling defeated.
They look MS eyeball to eyeball and say “Don’t mess with me.”
They experience pain and difficulties but push on anyway with the smallest of strength they have left.
They have learned because of being in the heat of battle that life is more than careers, fancy cars and big houses.
They experience fear, worry, doubts, and even sheds a few tears of their own, but never let those things stop them or hold them back.

Look in the mirror today because staring back at you is an MS hero! Yes, you are strong enough, you are brave enough, you are tough enough. Wipe those tears away and greet today with a smile, oh mighty MS hero!

1. Cathy Chester
    Cathy Chester says:

We are all heroes, it is true. Because MS has given us no choice but to be one. Struggling every day we have a choice and that choice must be to move forward, no matter how small the baby steps may be. Thanks for writing this, Penelope. We all need these positive reminders.

Thank you Penelope great words. We all have challenges every day, and it’s what we do with them that makes a difference. It also is how other people treat us also makes a big change in our attitude.

3. Linda
    Linda says:

My one true passion was readint but MS took my sight and now I’m registered blind. I love mixing with all sorts of people but now I’m housebound. I have always loved walking but now I can hardly walk. I have always loved cooking but now I cannot do such things as I cannot stand up for any length of time. . In the last 18 months I have fallen and broke my pelvid in two places then fell and broken my ankle quite badly. So sorry but the only thing I am positive about is that try as I might my life is not likely to get better any time soon

• Jo
      Jo says:

I’m trying to find words to help you. Is there something positive that you could do for yourself today? No matter how small or insignificant it might seem you will still have managed something positive and that will be worth you celebrating.

4. Pam Rasnick says:

I dont fill like a hero I think everyone that is in my life are the heros I have alot of help because of MS and I thank all that helps me get through every day !!!

5. shari
    shari says:

You are my hero Penelope, everyday I marvel at how you have the whits about you to sit down and compose such inspiring and wonderful posts, it just blows me away because I know how very challenging your days can be. Often when someone takes on this role we have a default that we go to that says “she can’t have as bad a time as me” because we can’t imagine pulling ourselves together enough to do this day in and day out, but I know that is not the case, you are faced with so much and yet you show up day after day. I want you to know that you are a marvel to us and that you motivate us to be the best that we can be, regardless at what is thrown at us. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for leading the way.

6. Meeya
    Meeya says:

Only just in time to remind me of taking my hanlkies with me 😂
    Blowiñg my nose, and looking for rainbows now.
    Career, fancy car and big house…?! Nah, thank you. Give me friendly people instead!!