Why I do what I do

In the past month, I have been approached by two different companies to join in with them in order to reach more people living with multiple sclerosis. That sounds great, doesn’t it? I mean, that’s what I want to do. I want to touch as many people living with MS as possible with a message of hope, help and encouragement. Go for it you say, right?!

The problem is, in digging further into both of these businesses, I discovered that they make a profit by selling their customer data. Everything you do on their sites from talking with others, to plugging in the meds you take, to sharing your symptoms and difficulties is collected and sold off for their gain to pharmaceutical companies and research. That doesn’t sit well with me. I value the trust you have in me too much to get involved in things like that.

For me, it’s all about integrity. Everything I do, I do for you. I have you in mind from the moment I wake up to the time I go to bed. Not thinking about how I can make a few bucks off of you, but how I can make you smile or ease the burden you carry. That burden is heavy. I know because I’m right there with you walking the MS journey too.

When you stop by my online store and buy a shirt or send in a donation, that helps me to cover the costs of running this website. It never covers it fully, but I don’t care. Has someone been helped because of something I posted or said? That’s what matters to me. That’s all that matters to me. You matter to me.

I know today’s post is a bit different than usual, but I wanted you to know how important you are to me. It’s a messed up world out there but I have chosen not to get messed up with it.

If you are hurting today, here’s a virtual hug from me to you {{{{{{{{hug}}}}}}}}. If you are weary and tired, hang in there. You will make it through this time. If you are engulfed in stormy clouds and torrential rains, hunker down and take a break. It’s okay to pause, and I can guarantee you the sun will shine again.

Keep this in mind as you go throughout your day: When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold. They believe that when something’s suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful.

You are gorgeous even in your brokenness.

1. Shanna Kinser says:

Penelope, you’re that friend who just shows up at the exact right time. To make me laugh. To make me think. To call me out when I need it. Whatever you do, you have my unconditional support.

2. Glenys Jackson says:

It sounds good, but I’d be very cautious about accepting anything like that. What begins as something similar to what you are already doing unofficially, encouraging many others who also suffer from MS, could easily turn into something that drains you of energy and leaves you constantly stressed. It may be fine – but if you do take it, make sure there us an escape clause before it gets too much.

Thank you Penelope. I would love to get something from you but being out of income for the past 21/2 years has me rather depending on others until I can sort it out. This has made difficult as I can’t drive and my phone has got worse to speak on so I am depending more on other people which is not me but I have to now.

4. Cal LaViscount says:

Thank you for your integrity, for thinking of your us, your many supporters, and for daily making the MS life more tenable w/your unique brand of humour and positivity. Hugs back!

5. Maria Clancy says:

bless you P.and good gut instincts you have.Thank you.dont take it personal money has no morals you did best you could with info they were giving you.take care

6. Jo Ann Maxwell
    Jo Ann Maxwell says:

Good for you! We need people of integrity these days! I use the Japanese story In one of my recent posts! I love it.

7. Meeya
    Meeya says:

If only… there were more lovely people like you out there – this world would be a so much better place!!
    I absolutely adore you & what you’re doing.
    In. Elite of not being a religious person myself, I’m sure something like “Karma” exists, and I sincerely hope you’ll be rewarded one day for all your kind work, the hope & encouragement you’re giving to all of us…
    My biggest HUGS ever, mixed with tears & smiles go out to you, today & always 👼

8. Liz Gordon says:

As long as you feel you can handle it, that it is not more stress, I say you go girl. Why not inspire more in the MS ‘community’ to never give up!
    ❤️

9. Suzanne Clukey says:

Your posts help me everyday. I’m meeting with a MS coffee I have going to give back to them what you give to me. We meet once a month. I organize it. You helped me put myself out there to help others. But you know what it helps me too. Thank you!!! Hugs back to you

10. Jennifer Sutton
    Jennifer Sutton says:

I can’t thank you enough for your posts, blog, website whatever we call it. I admit I anxiously await getting my son to school to sit and read my emails. You get picked first always.
    You are part of a much much larger picture I’m not sure you see how BIG it is meanwhile selflessly doing your part above & beyond. For that I thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!!! Somehow I read you daily email and feel your inside my head. It’s inspirational!!! And most important I know I’m not alone.
    Love always ❤️
    Jennifer Sutton

11. Jeff N Christine Higdon says:

Wow! Thats wonderful, but remember to not over do. Taking on more can be stressful and can hurt you. Listen to your body. I also want you to know how much I admire you! Thank you for all you do.

12. Nancy
    Nancy says:

As always, you inspire me to do and be the best I can. Thank you for your courage to stand up and do the right thing. I have learned to really look into the charities before I donate to see how much of it actually goes to the cause. (I have purchased one of your T-shirts and will soon purchase another). Your encouragement reaches many people and I am sure there are many besides myself who appreciate your commitment to us. ((((((HUGS))))))) back to you!