Don’t let your struggle steal your happiness

I’m not going to lie and tell you life is wonderful at the moment or pretend to have all the answers. The truth is, life is hard and for those of us living with a chronic illness it seems harder than it does for others because our struggle is never ending and always changing.

Each morning I wake up exhausted but thankful that a new day is here filled with its countless possibilities. Throughout the day I face challenges that at times can become overwhelming, painful, and sometimes more difficult than I had ever imagined. Then when I go to bed at night, I pause to reflect on my day and without fail realize that I made it through another day with multiple sclerosis, maybe bruised and a bit wounded, but I still made it through and a new day is coming.

But what will that new day hold? Will it be a good day? Will it be terrible? Will I cry? Will I laugh? I just don’t know. All I know is a new day is coming.

I know life can be hard, but through the struggle I want you to remember this one thing…

When things get bad, no matter how hard they become, know that even on your darkest, cloudiest day, the sun is still shining from behind the clouds. It hasn’t fallen out of the sky. It hasn’t run away for been turned off. It’s still there and although the storm clouds can become daunting and terrifying as they hide the sun from view, they will eventually shift and you find those beautiful rays of light peeking out once again.

Don’t let your struggle steal your happiness. Stay strong and find new ways to persevere. Remember those moments when you pushed through the pain and managed to wade through the darkness? Those are your strongest days. You would have never experienced such strength if you hadn’t been pushed so hard to find a way to survive.

And that’s what you are…a survivor!

You are not alone in this journey with MS. Brighter days will come. I can guarantee you that.

Oh, look…I think I just saw a little bit of sunlight peeking through the clouds. It’s a new day filled with new possibilities. You are going to make it!

1. indulge
    indulge says:

Thankyou Penelopre. Your positive comments really help me to see the sunshine in each day. Hugs to you.

2. Roland Clarke
    Roland Clarke says:

So very true as with all your posts. I keep being told about wonder cures for MS – but haven’t been told I was misdiagnosed. Unfortunately although I was diagnosed with benign MS that was never treated even when it became RRMS so now I’ve got 2PMS – and now my new neurologist is trying to do something.

3. PEGGY
    PEGGY says:

THANK YOU FOR SHARING. WELL WRITTEN AND VERY POSITIVE. REMINDER THAT DARKNESS IS NOT ALWAYS THERE.

4. Christina Salcedo says:

This past week has been a little rough with fatigue and my body just feeling heavy, do you have this sometimes? Any suggestions? This year has been rough for me and this “wonderful” disease so I keep looking for suggestions to stay positive and keep chugging along… everyday is a different story

Thank you Penelope it is a good word to keep in mind. These life snippets make my day better and give me hope that I can live through it no matter what.

6. Suzanne Clukey
    Suzanne Clukey says:

This is me everyday! Thank you for what you do. It helps me keep finding fighting everyday 😍

7. Barb Kirby Lannan says:

I know how you feel.but when it comes to bed time I can’t sleep. My body hurts & I can’t relaxes . About 5:00 o’clock I finally go to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get some sleep.i thank God for letting me to have another day with my family. I’m not going to let the MS keep me from doing thing with my husband, my kids & my grandkids. I’m going to keep going as long God & my body will let me. God Bless you all.

• KT
      KT says:

Hi Barb,
      I’m certainly not a doctor and I don’t know your feelings on medication, but I have the same problem and take Amitriptyline. I have been on it for about 10 years and it helps A LOT. Hope this helps, I wish you the best:):)

• Debbie Cooper says:

I’m the same as you..I usually get an hour before 5..then I’ve started taking my first lot of tablets at 5 which seems to able to get me a few more hours..it may not work for you but I hope you get a better sleep routine

8. Catherine Roberts says:

I will never forgot the neurologists words, he said “You have this little thing called Multiple Sclerosis”. I thought, oh, ok, if it is only a little thing, I can deal with it and all will be ok. I am now in a wheelchair because of this “little thing”…..

9. Joyce Steiner says:

I was diagnosed 40 years ago.. I don’t live my days with it present in my mind.. I just live day to day.. I don’t use it as an excuse for things that may go wrong.. I see so much of this online..

10. Meeya
    Meeya says:

Indeed…right you are, once more..!
    Big Hugs & Thanks again for your lovely posts that keep so many of us going on and on and on..!!