Those of us living with Multiple Sclerosis get some interesting responses from people when they find out we have been diagnosed with MS. I actually think most people mean well, they just don’t think before they speak. It can be frustrating, I know. Hopefully the more we talk about these things the more people will learn that we need care, understanding and support more than anything.
Things people shouldn’t say:
1. You need to be more positive. You would get better if you had a better attitude.
2. You shouldn’t drink coffee, cola, wine or really anything except filtered water.
3. I read about this diet that cures MS, why aren’t you on it?
4. You should be eating gluten free. Gluten is your problem.
5. Are you contagious?
6. You need to stop eating meat.
7. What did you do wrong to get MS?
8. I heard a vaccine causes it. You shouldn’t have gotten that vaccine you had when you were 2 years old.
9. You need to get out of the house more.
10. What about that celebrity with MS? He’s fine…why aren’t you?
11. Have you Googled MS?
12. Why don’t you try a different medication? Something that doesn’t have as many side effects and that will actually stop MS?
13. But you were fine yesterday.
14. Are you sure you have MS? It’s all just in your head.
15. You should join a fitness club. Exercise is all you need.
16. It can’t be that bad.
17. You don’t look sick.
18. Oh, my aunt had that and she’s fine now…or dead, I can’t remember which one.
19. Trust me, I know EXACTLY how you feel.
20. Stop using MS as an excuse. You are just trying to get out of work.
21. Try this vitamin…it helped my cousin’s uncle’s sister’s friend who has MS.
22. You’re just stressed.
23. That healing preacher prayed over you and you still aren’t healed. You just don’t have enough faith.
24. There’s a trial medication out now, why aren’t you on it?
25. Why are you so tired? You can’t be THAT tired, you slept all day yesterday.
26. You’re just not doing everything you can do. You must not want to get better.