There are days when I feel weak and beaten down by life

There are days when I feel weak and beaten down by life. Where the continued fight, day in and day out, wears on me to the point of weariness. You see, even positive people have hard times. No one is immune to life’s difficulties or to the emotional strain that comes along with them.

This week has been one of those weeks for me. A week of frustrations, battles, and struggles. A week of the unexpected. You would think I would be used to those kinds of things by now…the continual speed bumps and road blocks in life, but not even multiple sclerosis prepares you for that.

Sometimes life just is. As I say many times a day…it is what it is. I could allow everything in life from physical problems, to financial difficulties, to emotional stress wear me down to the point of collapse or I could hang on when I’m at my weakest and cling to the hope that everything is going to be okay.

When you’re in the middle of something awful, it’s hard to believe that things will work out. It’s hard to even believe that you will make it to tomorrow with the weight you are carrying and the dark clouds that are looming, but I can assure you, you are going to make it.

Think back on everything you have been through in life. Some of the difficult times seemed impossible to endure and had you sinking in despair. You have been hit with some doozies too. Things that even the bravest and strongest of warriors would collapse under.

Yet today, looking back, you see the strength you gained through the struggle. Things may not have worked out as you planned and you wouldn’t want to go through them again, but here you are…stronger, wiser and more resilient because of it.

Today may be a day of tears and pain, but trust me when I say hang on because you have an amazing future ahead. There is still a lot for you to accomplish, new people to meet, things to do and a greatness in your path. You are going to make it and come through with a strength you would have never gained any other way.

1. Aileen Brown says:

You are an inspiration I am able to forget my PPMS just now as my osteoarthritis is awful and waiting on a MRI scan on my back as they think most of mobility problems are stemming from there been telling them that for ages so the M&S is definitely in the background today lol next week is a new one hope it’s a good one for you

2. Carol Shinn says:

You inspire so many with your honesty and strong will … I don’t you would be normal if you didn’t have frustrations and struggles… It would just be nice if life would share them around a bit with others . I’m sure we all wish you well and hope you find happiness in that road ahead …

Well I have had some horrible days, but I’m still here and those days are gone and hopefully not coming back. But living with a PTSD sufferer is no joke either. They have a different set of problems that don’t really come close to MS unless you can understand suicide as a common feeling. This is more than a challenge even for me with MS, but we’re still together ad have very strong marriage that holds us together through thick and thin.

4. Geraldine Lowrey says:

I fell yesterday – trying to declutter my living space! I grabbed for the vacuum cleaner (lot of help that was; it took the fall with me), hit the bookshelf, scraping the backs of both arms, cuts, bruises, and hurting my back as I landed on my best intentions. I can only say I didn’t break anything – yet. My son hit a deer with our van. Both deer and van lost the battle, son is fine. After that close encounter of the worst kind, he ran into a sobriety checkpoint! I found this funny because my son doesn’t drink and ,of course, he was unhurt. I try hard to find humor in everything even if there is no humor to be found. I always think of my late dad who spent four years in a Nazi concentration camp, having a finger purposely broken then reset without anesthesia; eating potato skins and thin, watery soup – if he was lucky; sleeping next to dead bodies. He came out alive. He came by boat to America. He had a number of strokes, hear attacks. Yet he never complained! Always looked for the silver lining and what was good. MS has nothing on me, not when I think of my dad! PS Hope you get better. My thoughts are with you!

• Carole Thomas
      Carole Thomas says:

Way back in the day,-early 2000’s- we had a couch with nice soft comfy cushions(shiny faux leather). I don’t even remember what brought it on, but I was talking to my daughter, and suddenly just slid off the couch and landed on my back on the carpet. The coffee table was a cheap brass glass -topped thing that would never have supported my (dead) weight. So.. there I lay, on my back and all I could think of was how much I must have looked like a turtle up-ended on his shell, who couldn’t get back on his feet. And.. all I did was laugh..My 90 lb daughter tried to help me up, but of course I was too heavy and awkward for her. What did she do?? Called her Dad at work and said- “can you please come home and pick Mom up off the floor??” I was still laughing when he got home to help us. How many kids ever have to- or get to make that kind of call? We still laugh about it today.Might also explain my turtle obsession… LOL

5. Jennifer
    Jennifer says:

I got the best fortune cookie today. I’m having a s*** time. Verge divorce working on moving him out. Infidelity. Kids. House that doesn’t accommodate disability, ok blah blah but the fortune cookie said : Smooth waters will never make a skilled sailor!! So let’s ride these waves my warriors TOGETHER!! Xoxo

6. Jeanette Ford Lujan says:

This is the life we with MS. So many struggles you never dreamed of. Life isn’t always kind. It can deliver a verdict of guilty, with no parole, not even a day. Loneliness is a big factor for MSERS. If you don’t have a loyal spouse to be by your side. To tell you, “I’m here”, you’re loved and hug you and kiss you. Many of us are alone. Spouses leave. Children grow up and have families of their own. If you’re lucky, one of your children will love you enough to help make your life easier. It takes a family to keep you going. If not, no point to keep living. MS stops people’s lives from dreams and future happiness. Nobody wants a disabled person in their life. If one walked away, why not all? Sadly it’s days like this that asks, “why am I still living?”

• Martina Reck says:

Oh, you speak so from my heart. I feel very lonely. My boyfriend and family ran away and now even some friends are not there for me anymore. Yes I ask this (“why am I still living”) quite often. It’s so depressing..

7. Ruthann Pyle says:

When you tell others you are really having a rough time it even benefits your readers and me as a Mother of a grown lady who is also a Morher with MS. This is a horrible disease and hate that my daughter as you and many others suffer with it. Thank you for your valuable service to fight MS by blogging!

8. Marian Fuller says:

Your thoughts, feelings and words are so important for all of us to read and hold onto, Penelope.
    I also hold onto Hope that The Lord will hold me up in the issues that I have been
    Faced with that are beyond the scope of M. S.
    Thank you, always, Penelope!…