When you feel like giving up

When everything seems to be falling apart and the struggle to simply get out of bed becomes a monumental feat.
When the tears flow, the anger rises, and the fears take hold.
When the fatigue becomes overwhelming.
When you feel all alone because no one understands how hard even the simplest of things can be.
When your bladder fails you in public.
When your legs unexpectedly give way.
When the floor becomes the enemy and then your friend as you hug out your frustrations together.
When your vision blurs, your muscles twitch and your hands can’t even hold a cup of water.
When the pain becomes unbearable.
When your career ends and even your passions begin to slowly fade away.
When Multiple Sclerosis steals your joy and hides your laughter.
When the uncertainty of tomorrow becomes so great that even you don’t know how to overcome the worry.
When all seems lost, dark and dreary.

When you feel like giving up…don’t!

Find something in the middle of all the chaos that brings you comfort whether it’s a fuzzy blanket to snuggle with, a friend to sit with, or your favorite song to listen to. Allow yourself time to vent. It’s really okay to do that.

There’s nothing wrong with allowing yourself to feel. You’re human. You have real life struggles going on. Letting out all that built up emotion is necessary to allow the steam out and avoid an explosion.

But when you’re done with your screaming, crying and punching—when you have no voice left and no tears to fall—weed through all the mess in your life and find a smile. You know, that thing where the corners of your mouth turn upward and at times even a giggle seeps out? Yeah…that thing.

Put on the funniest movie you know of and laugh. Remember a funny story from days gone by. Talk with a friend and allow yourself to enjoy the moment. Laugh yourself through the pain, frustrations and fears.

Laughter is amazingly powerful. It has this way of pulling you out of the deepest of pits and lifting you up. It can cause your belly to ache and your ribs to hurt, but that kind of pain is worth it. Laughter lightens the air around you and gives you the ability to fly.

Soar with the eagles today. Find your smile, grab onto a laugh and spread your wings. Today…you can’t give up.

1. KT
    KT says:

I had a relapse and was put on steroids which caused constipation. I had to take something to clear me out. So I have been running to the bathroom a lot. No big deal until I started having problems walking last night (uh-oh). I spent the evening trying to hobble my way to the bathroom as quickly as possible while my husband held me up. After a few times I realized how rediculous it all was and started laughing. I said, “It’s like God was bored and needed a good laugh and said let’s see how she deals with this one.”. (lol). We both got a good laugh out of that one.

Some of those thoughts hat home with a vengeance and are very close to my life. But I can say I have not given MS a chance to take me away. It might have taken the cherry from the top, but I still have the cake and it’s not going to get it. I am gradually learning to let go of my previous life’s actions and adopting the new ones. This has helped me get on with my life in whatever way I can. Thanks Penelope for your seemingly odd view of my life. It is the manner of MS that make all of our symptoms different but the same.

3. Peggy
    Peggy says:

Wonderful message to someone who needs it. Have that going on. Thank you Penelope. Seems the worst of thos is losing all those that and not having someone understand it. Or that we have to have those times and that ot helps to vent the frustrations.

4. Jeanne Beans says:

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

5. Marian Fuller says:

Life without M. S. Can be difficult. Life with M. S.
    Is very difficult. I have had my share: Loss of my Health, Loss of Job, Loss of a nineteen year marriage, Loss of friends who would not take time to understand this disease living inside of me. I am not a needy person. I do not ask for much help. I will never give up, or give in. I am stubborn. I am a Gentle Spirit as well as a Fighter. I Know that The Lord will use Me,….and Me, living with This, for His Glory.

6. Kim Black-McKinley says:

Thank you , needed this today, the pain has been unbearable lately, abd Ive hidden it from everyone., today I just about gave up.., I’ll just keep trying to soar like that eagle.. ❤️

7. Kim Sauro says:

I’ve felt this way so many times. Thankfully not lately though. Very good article. I think one of the hardest symptom to bear is the head game MS plays with your self worth.

8. Carole Galloway says:

I bought a spray can of deodorant but my left hand is too weak to spray my right armpit lol. Simple thing to do but I guess I will have to stay with the rub on, at least for my right armpit lol. I did laugh though. Love this post it is so true. Thank you.

9. Samantha Louise Dunn says:

Ah this is so me today. . Hate having to cancel plans, especially with friends and hate not being able to do lots of fun things with kids in the holidays but maybe they understand. They’ve been playing nicely all day (normally unheard of !) while I’ve been chilling. Small blessings

10. Kari Petersen says:

I’ve been there for 2 days. Today I woke up and thought to myself “Today Life & MS won.” I’m not going to fight my fatigue or any other crap today. I live to fight another day!

11. Barbara
    Barbara says:

Funny, I woke up this morning with pain in my legs and thinking that I should just give up. Walking is exhausting, the pain is tiresome. Why try so hard? I opened my email and saw your blog Penelope. I smiled because you were speaking to me. You are God’s angel saying – Don’t give up. So I picked myself up and moved to get a cup of tea and write a list of gratitude. Thank you and God Bless you.

12. Faith Turner
    Faith Turner says:

Beautifully expressed! Thank you. Currently I have my grandkids to bring the smile back. I have experienced the job, house, family and friends loss. I keep focusing on what I do have and being thankful for that.

13. Ruthann Pyle
    Ruthann Pyle says:

Wonderful help to others. You and the MS people living this disease only know. Thank you for giving from your heart to help others!

14. noreen
    noreen says:

Beautiful words of encouragement. This is so true, it made me cry. I went for a walk at lunch time, each step is painful and my lower back feels like its going to snap. Watching the young people jogging around the park, smiling and giggling (I don’t envy them for being fit) it just makes the heartache I feel even harder and people just don’t know the struggle you’re going through. I wish I could fly like and eagle but perhaps for now more like a penguin 🙂