Multiple Sclerosis and the mountain in front of me

I have never climbed Mount Everest but it seems like every day I scale its twin. Somehow this twin of a mountain is in front of me as soon as I open my eyes to start the day. As the morning begins I am faced with a new climb in my journey with Multiple Sclerosis, sometimes even before I pull back the covers.

One day I may be staring at a gigantic wall of rock that seems impossible to scale and the next day my path may be a gently sloping hill of grass. I never know what part of the climb I will be facing until it is there in front of me. If I had my choice, I would pick the gently sloping hills every time. They make it much easier when I fall down. Those rocks hurt.

But no matter what I am facing, the thing I keep reminding myself with each forward motion I take is to never give up…even if I am on unsteady, shifting rocks. A life with MS isn’t easy no matter what you are dealing with, but at the end of the day I lay my head down on my pillow knowing that I did the best I could. That’s what really matters anyway, doing your best.

If you are facing an overwhelming pile of work that needs to get done before the end of the day or are weary from the difficulties life has handed you, take a moment to pause in your climb. When your emotions are going bonkers, the pain becomes too much, your blurred vision is limiting your view…pause. When nothing seems to be going right and your hope of a better tomorrow seems to be fading fast…pause.

It doesn’t have to be a long pause, just enough time to catch your breath. No matter what you may think, pausing doesn’t mean you are giving up. It actually helps to give you the strength needed to keep going. Pause, but don’t quit.

When I am having a really hard time, I pause and watch this clip from the movie “Facing the Giants.” It reminds me that I really do have the strength within me to keep climbing, to keep going. I hope it gives you the added strength you need today too.

1. Stephanie Beck
    Stephanie Beck says:

WOW!!! God knew exactly what day I needed to read this particular post and it wasn’t the day it was written, it was TODAY, August 29, 2017. Over the past 28 years, I have often been that coach as he’s pushing, supporting, coaching and inspiring that young man. I have also (often on the same day) been that young man as he’s fighting, struggling, pushing himself through the pain, and following the coaches direction just to make myself get out of the bed.
    Over the last 8-10 months, I’ve been struggling to be that coach, that young man, to find a fill-in coach and to find any strength, will-power, or faith to continue fighting this disease. My body, my mind, and my spirit are simply exhausted at fighting this fight that I’ve fought with all I have for almost 30 years, since I was 18 yo.
    I needed this video clip. My hope is that it awakens that “fight” in me and that it also helps me to uncover the faith that I’ve relied on my entire life but have kinda given up on lately. Thanks for yet another inspirational post.

2. Peggy
    Peggy says:

Tganks for your post and that video clip. Penelope! I ve not seen that movie! Have felt that way so many times!

3. Barb Kirby Lannan says:

I have a question do anyone have problem with head pain on the right side of the head. It get so bad that I want to pull my my head off. I’m really good with pain but this I don’t know what to do. The doctor keep saying it’s part of. MS. If anyone have this problem could you please let me know what your are doing for it. Thank you for listen to my problem.

• Peggy
      Peggy says:

I have had it before, during & After MS that sounds like a migraine. Dr. Shouldve known that.
      If dont have any migraine meds ask for sample. Can even try Excerdrin or Advil over the counter migraine meds
      If headache clears or gets little better then you’ll know migraines

4. Joyce McManamon says:

Thanks for your great inspiring blog here. You give the rest of us to go out and and try to take those extra step (and maybe even a set of stairs ~ well maybe not the stairs today).

5. Della Smalley says:

I agree,today is not a good day for me, literally hurt from head to toes so today I’m not getting much done in the house.Take care Penelope my MS Sister,were all Fighters of this Terrible disease

This reminds me of Peter Gabriel’s song “Don’t Give Up”. We can’t give up and stay fallen. There is a way up and it can be found. Even if it takes 1 1/2 hours it’s still there and attainable I’ve been there and know it is.
    Each morning I face and equitable time for a marathon from the bedroom to the toilet as the underfelt carpet is like going through mud in my wheelchair; it’s like doing a set at the gym.
    Even getting out of our house is difficult with out help but we’re getting that fixed so at least I can do that.
    Recently. using two elbow crutches I got a bucket and emptied some ashes from the woodburner and tipped them onto a part of the garden space I use then put the bucket back and went inside to set the firebox up. This would take a ‘fit’ person about 3 – 4 minutes to accomplish. It took me about 15 minutes and I was somewhat knackered from doing that, but I DID it and got the fire going. We can do things but it takes a ‘little’ longer, but we still can DO things. Don’t let anyone tell you differently (even yourself). We are not sick just disabled.

7. Denease H Jackson
    Denease H Jackson says:

Thanks for a well-written article! I’m having a rough day and needed to read this as you relate to living with MS!

8. Beckey Beguin says:

I want to thank you so much for your inspiration! There have been many times when I feel like I can’t do this anymore today being one of those times. It only takes one positive post or one word to turn that around for someone struggling. Thank you for giving me the strength to fight another day!

9. Vicky
    Vicky says:

Love that clip. Never seen the movie but def gonna have to watch it now. Its inspired me to get out of bed today for sure