Yes, I live with Multiple Sclerosis and still smile

Life really is what you make it. I know that sounds so cliche, but it’s true. You have the chance to turn a bad thing around into something good. How? By changing your focus. If you spend your time constantly looking at the bad things happening around you, you will end up missing those small yet amazingly great things that happen every day. Things like…

a caring hug from a friend
a funny comment from your child
a laugh
a smile
air-conditioning on a hot day
peace and quiet for 5 minutes in a busy home
take-out
an unexpected letter of thanks
a cloud shaped like a bear
an empty laundry basket
a day without falls
a nap…or two
chocolate
a parking spot right in front
a holiday
the perfect pancake
the smell of fresh cut grass
a rainbow
a new book
a forgotten ten dollar bill in your pocket
music

So many things…every day…things that we take for granted, yet have the potential to make our day less painful and possibly even come with a laugh or a giggle.

Stop and look around you. Even today, with all you have happening, it’s a good day. I know it’s not easy, but try not to look at the struggle. I understand that living with Multiple Sclerosis has its problems. They are real and they hurt. I’m not saying you should pretend they don’t exist. I’m just saying change what you are looking at.

If you spend your time focused on the pain in your life, the pain will be what grows. At times it can become bigger than life itself. Yet if you shift your focus to those little surprises in your day…those wonderful smiles that are handed to you…you will discover the pain will begin to lessen.

The struggles, disappointments and pain won’t go away entirely, but they will no longer be so overwhelming. The more you search for the good, the more you will find it and the easier your day will be to get through. Try it. You just might be surprised at what you find.

I have a lovely Filipina helping me shower on Monday mornings and when I told her about the weekend she thought I was talking about a university party and diot understand what a UTI was. We had a good laugh about that which made me happy for a good change

2. Connie Ray
    Connie Ray says:

😇 — you are an angel, Penelope!!
    Thank.you for making my day,
    along with many others, brighter than the day before!! ☺

3. Jeanette Ford Lujan says:

A giggle or hugs from complete strangers is always the tonic that picks me up! I’m always smiling because if I’m out, of course it’s a good day. Smiling is the way I connect with most people. I’m in an electric scooter. It helps me to get out and enjoy those small little things in life. Children, animals and their parents are always ready to talk, pet the dog or help me get something from the top self. Seems so many things I need is on the top self.. weirdSmile and the world will smile back at you

• Jana morgan
      Jana morgan says:

I have the same prob with items on top shelf. Even short people must have a hard time as on a scooter I become a short person. Haven’t met anyone who wasn’t prepared to help me so far. Lovely help.

4. Dave Head
    Dave Head says:

Great reminder Penelope! I share the same mindset.
    “Life moves pretty Fast. If you don’t stop and look around once and a while, you could miss it.”

~ Ferris Beuller’s Day Off

5. June Jackson says:

My darling granddaughters keep me positive they are only 9 and 5 years old but they say try nanna we will help you and they certainly do they make me not give up x

6. CuraHOPE says:

Your story is inspiration, and more people should be aware that MS is not the end of the world, we can still live well with the right attitude and mindset.

7. Nancy
    Nancy says:

thank you thank you thank you!!! Also, just to let you know, your blogs are one of those amazingly great things that I like to focus on!

8. Leslie Beaver says:

Very true for everyone. But more so for those of us with a chronic condition. Try is the key word. One that I repeat to myself frequently during the average day. Try. Just try.