I wish Multiple Sclerosis was no more

One day Multiple Sclerosis will be no more. It will not be able to cause pain, fatigue, weakness, and those crazy frozen brain moments. It will no longer have the opportunity of harassing or hurting another person in the world. Its attempts to cause any kind of harm will be foiled.

I wish that day was today, but when I woke up this morning MS was still here. It appears my dream hasn’t come true as of yet, but that doesn’t mean there’s not hope for tomorrow. Whether you believe me or not, anything is possible tomorrow and I will never stop believing for great things to happen…for you and for me.

Today as I wait, I choose to live life in the moment. I discovered when I live that way, I am able to put my fears and worries to the side because I find more joy focusing on things that truly matter. You know, things like family, friends, chocolate, and coffee. Yes, lots and lots of coffee.

My greatest desire is for years from now, people will look down the road I took in life and wonder what it was that made me so strong. I want them to see something in me that leaves them in awe scratching their heads.

And when they ask what was it that gave me such strength, the resounding answer will be “She had Multiple Sclerosis and never gave it rights to her heart. She lived and loved life regardless of the struggle.” And I want them to be able to carry that same strength with them everywhere they go.

I want that for you too. Today, you have the strength to face this very moment no matter if you are in the hospital hooked up to noisy monitors, busy nurses and meds galore or if you are stuck in traffic with a twitch in your leg that makes you drive more like a drunk driver than a respectable citizen.

You are amazing. Never believe anything different. All those negative focused thoughts that have a tendency to make their way into your head…they are lies. All lies. You are strong. So much stronger than you give yourself credit for. Enjoy the little moments that make up today. Find something that gives you joy and do it. Today is your day, now LIVE!!!

1. Val Hanna says:

I hope for that day, unfortunately I woke up and it was just another day with me and the lurgy (MS). I wouldn’t wish this condition on anyone not even my worst enemy. Thanks for all your insights we all stick together.

2. Bridget Kelly says:

Read this with one eye closed bc I’m blindish in one eye lol MS keeps it creative everyday. I think it makes us strong and it made us all a team for a reason. Thanks for always being a positive voice ❤

3. Jenn Muirhead says:

I get soooo angry and impatient with MS, for taking so much, and hurting so many. The blatant, never knowing what will or won’t happen throughout the disease pisses me off. I am soooo afraid that it’ll take another 50 years to find a cure and/or the reason people get it. Turning it into something positive is very very hard, but I will say I have volunteered and donated with some astounding individuals. Those with and without the disease.

There is a way to stop MS in your life, but not good choice. I also believe there might be a release from this that can make our life better, but I’m not holding my breath for it As I wrote earlier if I didn’t have MS I wouldn’t have met some beautiful people that are here and on here. We are stronger because of this and don’t ever forget this. So called ‘normal’ people couldn’t go through what we have to and to deal with what we have to. Don’t let it take your life away even if takes anything else away.

6. Shanna Kinser says:

Someday. Personally, I’m glad to have stopped MS drugs. The MS is stable and I’m content to have symptoms treated as needed. After over ten years, that I can walk and function pretty well, aside from pain that isn’t just MS related, means I don’t have to be an “MS warrior” anymore. For those who aren’t as fortunate and are struggling everyday, cure cannot come too soon.

7. Geraldine Lowrey says:

Today I had blood taken. Soon I begin Ocrevus infusions. I was told patients in wheelchairs are now walking again. My walking is getting worse, muscles stiff, I need a walker. I am now classified Secondary progressive from previous relapsing-remitting. This is not a cure, but it may be the next best thing for me. Best wishes for all you MSers out there! May MS be thing of the past soon, very soon!

8. Karen Grant Grocock says:

I saw a great photo post this morning Penelope, that I’d like to share with you, and my techno savvy is not working this morning, so here’s what is says – hoping it brings you a smile – ‘GOOD MORNING! I just wanted to share a virtual cup of coffee with you today….I thought it would be a nice way to begin the day. I hope today treats you well!’ ☕️ ☕️

9. Carla L Broadbent Rogers
    Carla L Broadbent Rogers says:

Penelope’s thoughts and a cup of coffee, what a way to start a good day. Be well.

10. Odette van Straalen says:

I hope I’m around to witness and live a life without MS, but to be honest I think that’s a long way off. Longer than I have left.
    The cause is still not even known. Until it is, there will be no cure. We just have to keep fighting and soldiering on.

11. Melanie Cutts says:

No one gets it until they get it. Every day is different and you learn to expect the unexpected. For today I am grateful that I am sitting outside in the sunshine (UK) not worrying about vit D but just sitting, listening to the wind and birds in the trees, the odd sound of a car and not thinking about anything in particular. Although MS has taken most of my independence it has also given me the opportunity to do this. Positive thinking – thank you Penny x

12. Stephen
    Stephen says:

Your affirmation is always welcomed in my in-box, today especially as I struggle to come to terms with a new medication that seems to have solved a long-intractable issue, but that I leaving me strung out and weak. Days like this are the hardest. Thanks for the boost.

13. James M. Dorn says:

I am not sure that I want that for me, I have been in pain for probably 45 years and have learned to live with that life style. I would have to learn to do everything like normal people, it would be so strange… the pain is pain, it travels with me everywhere, without it, I might not be the same person and that frightens me.

14. Dave
    Dave says:

Thanks Penelope, needed lift today, feeling very down today. Fed up of being completely and utterly useless.