I have Multiple Sclerosis…hear me roar

Nothing angers me more than people who try to profit off of someone with an illness…any illness, not just multiple sclerosis. People who say, “I know what is causing the disease in your body, and if you will send me $100, I will mail you my book detailing how to rid your body of all that ails it. Better yet, sign up for a monthly mentorship and I will help you one-on-one to discover the hidden emotions, wrongful attitudes and unhealthy foods that are the root cause of your sickness.”

Now don’t get me wrong, I believe that we can cause harm to our bodies and our life if we live it filled with negative attitudes, stored up anger and spend our time worrying about everything that may or may not happen. Negative energies have actually been proven scientifically to harm living things. There are some amazing studies that have been done on this very subject.

But for someone to claim MS is something each person has caused in their own life because they simply crave attention from others, are holding on to unconfessed sins or negative energies, eat the wrong foods, are lazy, simply desire close designated parking, or have somehow lost passion in life…is full of CRAP!

Multiple Sclerosis is real. It’s not caused by a person’s lifestyle, an unhealthy diet, smothered hidden emotions or because we lived a life filled with sin. There is yet to be discovered a specific cause for MS and to this day there is still no known cure.

If people took the time to get to know someone with MS they would find out that we are incredible people.  We are lawyers, doctors, nurses, scientists, teachers, mothers, fathers, artists, musicians, computer geeks, news anchors, cops, soldiers, and personal trainers. We don’t wear MS as a “badge of honor” to flash around for all to see in order to gain the attention of everyone in the room. Most people don’t even know we have MS until there is a visible symptom causing us to use a cane, walker or wheelchair.

We are the type of people who choose to pass up the designated parking spots on days when our legs are moving okay in consideration of others who may need it more than we do. We give from the heart, work hard, are compassionate towards others, and can’t even comprehend the word “quit.”  We are fighters not constant complainers. We push through some of the most difficult times in life with a smile…and a genuine one at that.

We manage life as best we can and learn over time what our body can do and what its limitations are. We actually tend to live a freer life than most people do in society today because we have learned early on to rid our lives of worthless junk and unnecessary people, choosing to focus on those things and people that actually matter.

That’s something the world has lost focus on. The world sees a good life as having the biggest house, best car and a large bank account, but those things are nothing compared to enjoying life regardless of the storms you are facing, spending quality time with family and friends, taking time to marvel at the beauty around us, and creating precious sweet memories that stand the test of time.

We actually know how to live life better than most people. Why? Because we do it every single day in spite of MS. Our stories are continually being written, page after page with each day that passes. Just watch our lives and you may learn a few things about living…probably more than you could have ever imagined possible.

We aren’t helpless, weak, broken, wounded, forgotten people. We aren’t drug seekers or attention hogs. We don’t use MS as an excuse for not living a successful and full life. We are warriors that proudly wear the scars of war…hear us ROAR!!!

1. Brit Hartung says:

Agreed! I dislike “the home business friend” if you take my dietary pills you will be healed. If you take my oils you will be healed. If you drink my shake you will be healed…. ugh!

Thanks Penelope great words that don’t need a book to help us. As I have written before if we hadn’t got MS then we wouldn’t have met the people we have seen. There are good people and bad people out there, we just have to sift them out and keep the good people with us.
    There is a lot of rubbish around about the curing of Ms that is a lie and not right (at this time). It may or may not happen and I can’t see it happening in my lifetime.

3. Julie Knapps says:

Yes I have those people in my life, they cause undue emotional and mental anguish when what really what is needed was a boost up to help keep going. They are ignorant and will remain so, all we can do is keep on keeping on best ways possible.

4. Rosemary Baird says:

I hear you! I know incredible stress which was outside of my control triggered my immune system. However, nothing hurts me more than healthy people telling me it is Divine retribution or ‘chastisement’!!

5. Glenys Jackson says:

Sheer stupidity! It’s easy to figure out why somebody else is suffering, but not the person who already ‘knows’ the answer – but only because up they haven’t had to suffer from a debilitating illness themselves. It’s just another lesson in patience for us when we hear these often caring but ignorant folk and wish they could .

6. Liza Hagusa says:

THANK YOU!! i am so tired of hear other (non-MS’ers ) tell me how i could have prevented my MS if i had only blah blah blah Yesterday the nurse came to change my cathider and told me it is Gods way that i have this. I am not a religious person but that hurt.

7. Stephanie Hartzell-Brown says:

I get frustrated by some folks in another group bc they DO say that they have cured their MS with such a strict diet. It’s frustrating for the rest of us who are just trying to eat good when one gets attacked for eating rice or potatoes. I have learned not to take it personal bc we are all different. My SPMS /TM residuals won’t get healed with eating a strict paleo diet nor do I feel right not eating certain foods. I myself am guilty of advising folks to ditch sugar & gluten & I apologize to anyone I may have offended or made to feel bad. That is never my goal.

• Caroline Louise Bartley-Schock says:

Don’t feel bad Stephanie….I give the same advice..avoid sugar and gluten….that is common sense AND there are studies showing how these mess up metabolic systems. Just like some MDs still tout statins for heart disease prevention…there are studies validating this is false…yet, they still promote it. Each person is unique with food sensitivities and can only do the best they can.

8. Shelley Sharp says:

Excellent article. I even saw a comment of a fellow MSer in one of the MS groups I follow that made a comment that “she caused this and would fix it”. I was quite upset with that comment. 🙁

9. Jeanette Ford Lujan says:

Thanks, Penelope! I hear the most stupid crap also! Who doesn’t? I’m sick of people saying anything about how I’m suppose to feel, eat, exercise, nap, do, don’t! Number one.. each person with a chronic disease has their own personal stories. Unless you have MS, you really have no respect for me and the difficulties that comes with who I am!

10. Twila Gibson says:

I have a “friend” who thinks that when people complain about life being “unfair” are just getting what they deserve. I cant understand that kind of mentality, but I guess she means that I deserve to have MS?

11. Geraldine Lowrey says:

Everyone is different. You don’t look like me. I don’t look like you. If we follow the same regimen – medicine, diet, exercise – we may get different end results. I don’t do comparisons. And somehow I can’t forgive those people who in the past have excluded me from some activities because I “didn’t move fast enough”. Am I wrong? Or am I just having a bad day? Like almost every day?

12. Pmdbio
    Pmdbio says:

I don’t want us or anyone else to have MS. I do think a healthy dose of humility by “living our life for one day” would benefit judgmental non-MSer’s.

13. Nancy
    Nancy says:

Wow! You’ve hit the nail on the head again. Nothing hits me in the gut more than one of these heartless comments.

The one thing MS has taught me is patience. Even though I get my feelings hurt from time to time, I’ve learned to let it go. I remind myself that I’ve unknowingly done the same to another person. I hope they forgave me.

14. Gail M. Ferguson says:

Talk about hitting the proverbial nail on the head!! I used to react to the ignorance of these dweebs but have made a conscious effort to ignore and walk away. You can never change the mind of an ignoramous and all they do is drain me of what little energy I have , cause me unnecessary tears and emotional upheaval!

15. Carissa Doig says:

I know people who have tried to tell me “if I just change my diet and add this ‘shake’ or ‘patch’ to my day, I’ll start to get better”. No one understands that it’s NOT because of something I did or I’m doing. I was BORN this way. I won’t let MS have me though. I fight it every day, and I’ll never stop.

16. Kim Black-McKinley says:

I think this is one of my favourite articles you have written Penelope!! ❤️ it is exactly how I feel , and live my life… If only everyone who doesn’t have this disease could read this… Thank you for your wise words ❤️❤️❤️❤️