How I choose to live with Multiple Sclerosis

No one knows everything about multiple sclerosis. Not the person living with it, not the doctors, scientists, nutritionists or even informed family members or neighbors. There is still so much to be learned about this disease that spends its time gnawing aways at a persons nerves for no apparent reason. I think my nerves must be coated in barbecue sauce or something really tasty because they seem to be an inviting feast for the Myelin Munchers.

Over the hundreds, possibly thousands, of years MS has been around, to this day no one even knows what causes it. GMO’s, artificial sweeteners and crazy man-made chemicals didn’t even exist when it was first given a name. Sure, there are a lot of theories and debates on the topic, but no one really knows what causes it. It’s still a mystery. It’s still misunderstood. It still exists.

So when a person approaches me with a know-it-all attitude as to how I should be managing my MS or even curing it, it’s beyond frustrating. Now don’t get me wrong, I know most people are well intentioned and just don’t want to see a person hurting, but not everyone is. It seems most of the ones pushing the unfounded cures or remedies are just people trying to sell supplements, diet plans or medical cures.

They use all the smooth sales tactics to try and hook you in and make a person feel as if they must not really care about getting better because they are still eating pasta, drinking sugar laden soft drinks, or not getting the proper supplements a body needs. Now don’t get me wrong, there are definitely great benefits to eating healthy and ensuring vitamin intake is managed well, but that’s not the cure for MS. It’s not the solution to all that ails you.

I think I am propositioned at least once a week with the latest fix-all solution. Do you know what I do with them? I hit the delete button. It’s that simple.

I have found over the years that for my own sanity and wellbeing, it’s best to simply live my life the way I think I should be living it…not how someone else wants me to live it. I still research. I still read up on breakthroughs and possible answers to this horrible disease, but I take control of my own happiness in the process.

So if I choose to have an enjoyable cup of fresh roasted coffee each morning, do you know what I do? I savor every last drop. If I choose to not be on a certain MS med, then I don’t. If I choose to be on one, then I do. If I choose to take a handful of vitamins each day, I do it. If I choose not to, then I don’t. If I choose to eat a piece of cheesecake, a donut or even a big bowl of momma’s homemade spaghetti…I do it.

No guilt. No remorse. No bad feelings.

I choose to simply live life on my own terms, after all I only have this one life to live. I want to be sure to enjoy it. I would rather appreciate what I have here, now, today, then keep chasing after the unknown and unknowable all the while adding a boatload of stress and financial burdens that I don’t really need in my already crazy life.

But that’s just me…one crazy MSer living in Alabama choosing to control her own destiny.

1. Shirley Cassie
    Shirley Cassie says:

I was diagnosed in 2006 with multiple sclerosis, the only symptoms at that time were falling and legs hurting and moving all the time. I remember no symptoms at all until last year. I went into full seizure mode, I was put on Avonex. I had the symptoms of that medication every day for 13 weeks, I mean I was so sick every day. I stopped that medication and a few days later I was back to my normal self. Then a few weeks later I started having attacks every week and I was really bad. It’s like one long attack every day. My upstairs neighbors cause me great anxiety every day. I have gotten a new neurologist and she started me on the Copaxone and I didn’t know what to expect, I knew I hurt from when I wake up until I go to sleep.I lost touch with reality.I started on Health Herbal Clinic multiple sclerosis Disease Herbal formula in June 2017, i read alot of positive reviews from patients here in the United States on their success rate treating multiple sclerosis through their Herbal formula and i immediately started on the treatment. Just 7 weeks into the Herbal formula treatment I had great improvements with my Vision and coordination, my stiffed, rigid muscle had succumbed. I am unbelievably back on my feet again, this is a breakthrough for all multiple sclerosis sufferers, visit Health Herbal Clinic official website www. healthherbalclinic. net or email info@ healthherbalclinic. net.

2. Mark and Tina
    Mark and Tina says:

You left St. Louis and I moved from Bama to Kansas City. My wife, Tina has been wondering why she isn’t seeing you on Facebook anymore? Hope you are well.

3. Annette Jolly says:

Can identify with the comments. Most people around me just don’t fully understand because I tend to fight on no matter what ,thinking I will not let this beat me! But guess what? Yes MS always beats me sometimes really hard! My husband says I’m my own worst enemy and I think he’s probably right. Thing is, I’m not a quitter. Bless him, he really tries to help. Recently my pain level has gone through the roof ( possibly because the schools were on holiday and I had my grandchildren very often during the last fortnight). I really love having them, I’m a retired teacher and get great pleasure from doing things with them. So it’s so hard to say no.Husband found a product called Celafen which is a rub. Has any of my MS friends tried this for pain ? I’ve also had a cannabis like product called C B D brought to my attention. Anyone used it?Be interested to hear ofany products other folk find effective.

4. Steph Beckys Mutter says:

Well said….. How does the song go? This is my life…… I was put on earth to be, a part of this great world is me and my life……guess I’ll just add up the score, and count the things I’m grateful for
    In my life …… and, while I’m grateful that others care enough to be interested, I am in charge of me !

5. Monique Gauthier
    Monique Gauthier says:

Thank you for your insight and input Penelope! I too have chosen “me” in this battle! I choose life, love and happiness!

6. Shanna Kinser says:

It’s very true. Unfortunately, it is the occasional person with MS who is the know-it-all. Then, that person just assumes what works for her must be the answer for you. No, no it’s not. Every case of it is different. Find your own way and be confident with it! 🙂

7. Heather Seal says:

What’s even worse is when your husband thinks exercise is just the cure and that it’s not painful I just have to get up and at it! So frustrating and starting to really wear on me!

8. Beverly Leray says:

Thank you for the interesting articles. I read them all and find them very insightful and share them with my family and friends hoping they read them and have a better understanding of what I’m going through. Thanks again.

9. Maxine Lomas says:

Yes I find it very emotional and frustrating especially when your told ooh your doing better on those meds, NO I’m not, I I’m masquerading what im really going through so when I say im having a rough time I AM COS YOU DON’T GET IT!!!!

10. Mary
    Mary says:

This is a great post! In the beginning I spent all of my energy (and money) trying to find a way to beat this beast. Finally, I figured the best way to fight it was to enjoy my life to the best of my ability. Some days really stink, but a nice glass of wine goes a long way to help me relax and appreciate what I still have. Guilt is a wasted emotion.

11. Juana Driver says:

Love this post! So right on….living each day to the best if our ability. Making the decisions that effect the outcome of our lives. Taking charge even in the weakest moment to carry on. Thank you Penelope for this!