An Illustrated View of Multiple Sclerosis

MS Fact #19: Headaches
MS Fact #20: Seizures

MS Gets on My NervesTeam Mystery BruiseMS Superhero

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Patricia stone
    Patricia stone says:

I was investigated for m&s over 20years ago never got a proper diagnosis said probable ms my brother was 29 when he died it started at 17 he had progressive ms my dad’s sister was 42 when she died she had m&s as well I think over the years I have had to cope with disabilities affecting me in all sorts of ways but the pain I’m going through with other things happening to me I think I’ve had a relapse and my gp sent me for blood tests and found my potassium is very low she wants to see me and she is concerned about my pain I could go on but I don’t want to note you all x

2. Annette Jolly says:

Reading through this has clarified in my mind that I am experiencing several of these symptoms and that these are indeed MS related. I’ve been diagnosed for just over a year now having previously been told for 30+ years I had a ‘multi system ‘ illness and fibromyalgia . I have seen a Nurse Specialist twice and have today started pregabelin for pain. Reading through the other possible effects of MS really scares me and makes me feel very uncertain of the future. Thus far, I am still mobile and need only a little support! My main symptoms are poor sight ,pain and fatigue. I find coping with latter the worst. I just pray that this new medication works although it may take a little time as the dosage is being very gradually increased to find an ideal level. I’d appreciate any feedback from others on ‘this medication.

3. Margo mckay
    Margo mckay says:

Oh the stories we MS sufferers could tell, ignorance comes from those who do not know, even Drs, nurses, consultants etc if they don’t have the disease they will never understand the full enormity. Bless them cos they are ignorant.

4. Kat Hamilton
    Kat Hamilton says:

“MS doesn’t cause pain.” My neurologist told me that just prior to checking my reflexes. He now has his nurse do the reflex tests. 🙂 “Take a Tylenol.” I sit on my numb hands to keep myself from decking the idiot who tells me that. “I don’t know what you’re complaining about; you’ve got the best parking space.” That one was from a colleague after I fought for two years to get one parking space designated as handicapped parking. My boss was in the room, along with several other witnesses, so I couldn’t choke the speaker. I did, however, tell her that the very moment she took my MS I would happily give her the parking space to go with it. There is no cure for stupidity, but it can be muffled with duct tape. 🙂

5. Jacque Apodaca Mateo says:

Yep this is me…. María María Ang Almanza Linda Apodaca Maverick David….so if I fell asleep or crashed for an hour or 2 it’s not because I wanted to it’s because I physically couldn’t fight the battle anymore that day!!

6. Tracy Long says:

Reading these I have everyone of these, but #6 mine is swaying left to right. I feel I am in a fishing boat in the ocean and a large boat comes by rocking me. I even get that way riding in a car. It’s horrible!

7. Melinda
    Melinda says:

These are great. You should share with the MS Society. ..I see these compiled into a book for the family and friends of those with MS.

8. LaKesha Webb says:

I try really hard not to mention my issues anymore bc the fact of the matter in my case at least is that people just don’t give a s*** about what we deal with, most ppl are not sincere and folks just plain don’t care. I started to feel like I was begging for concern from my friends and family but I don’t need them. I got thru the bs lumbar puncture twice, many MRIs and needles on my own. Not even my mother cares to check on me and that’s her right not to give a damn, not morally right but oh well. None of you have to take the crap either. I stopped my meds and now only self medicate and I feel better than before all the meds. Now for my diet and exercise lol. It will be OK I thought I couldn’t handle these things but I look back yrs and I’m OK, all of you will be too!

9. Mayvår Sjøberg says:

It’s okay. My neurologist says MS shouldn’t hurt at all and pushed me off onto pain management and to psych for the emotional changes because MS doesn’t do that either. She *literally* said “MS is NOT painful and you shouldn’t be having spasms.” I wanted to punch her in her face. Then blame her on my non-MS related emotional problems, since those don’t really exist. Stupid doctor. She’s an American doctor. I can’t wait to go home.

10. Iananddeb Hales says:

It’s so hard for some people to understand and very frustrating for us that face these challenges every day – a day without pain would just be nice never mind a day without all the MS issues – Deb

11. Marie Paige says:

This is so true because when you have multiple sclerosis people just think they know exactly what you’re going through the best thing to do for a person is to pray for them..

12. Jacque Apodaca Mateo says:

Yep I have all but 2 of these ….fighting everyday now with a cast on my leg! Just when I thought it can’t get any harder! I’ve got this & gonna keep fighting!! Lucinda Ang Linda Tina Thomas Jose Thanks for reminding me I’ve got lots to fight for!!

13. Dorothy Vowles says:

Judy would phone from the ditch near her house. She would fall. She would need me to pick her up because she couldn’t go any further.had a great humor about her bouts of ms I us to get after her for not phoning before she fell..but like she said if i don’t use it I’ll lose it ..lukly we live in a rural area and not alot would have seen her.

• Marlene Adams says:

Holy I’m just as stubborn! Lol. I refuse to not do work outside in the yard or physical labour stuff because I CAN. And I agree..if I don’t use it I’ll loose it :). Certainly not looking forward to increased mobility issues but hell..it is what it is.

• Lynn Stevenson
      Lynn Stevenson says:

I have to agree. I have been diagnosed since 1990, visual loss in 1989. I can relate to all symptoms at 1 time or another. Has been very rough since beginning of November. Wishing you well.

14. Jolene
    Jolene says:

I am new to the ms world, I was diagnosed at the end of Jan, and this was just what I needed to read. It explains so much for me. If only I could get my boss to read it, or acknowledge that I cant seem to be working at full capacity these days. Thank you for this explanation and making me laugh today😃

15. Frances
    Frances says:

I am a bit confused, my late Father had MS, my cousin on my mum’s side of the family, has MS. I suffer from all the 20 MS facts, but I have Fibromyalgia, diagnosed my the consultant of Rheumatology, any advise?

• Penelope Conway
      Penelope Conway says:

You need to schedule an appointment with a Neurologist and ask to have MRIs done. MS causes lesions in the brain and spine and that is what is causing our symptoms. And since there is a family history, I think it’s important to get checked out.

16. Marian Fuller says:

This is the best list describing how M. S. Can
    Affect “”US””!!!
    Yes, IT IS ALL IN OUR HEAD!
    This is such an important and informative Post. Truly enlightening. Thank You, Penelope!!!!…

• Meeya
      Meeya says:

That´s actually exactly what I did… and my colleague loves it, as she says it helped her a lot to better understand…!
      The printout is always there in my desk, with my own comments.

17. Gail Cardwell says:

This is so useful to show to people who don’t understand the daily challenges we face. It really made me laugh too. You gotta see the funny side, especially the walking like we’re drunk bit – I’ve been saying that to people for years about the way I move!

18. Sandy Burger says:

This is perfect. I never saw these explained so simply add clearly. I wish I had this before I had developed all these symptoms. Maybe now some people around me can understand!

19. Shannon Powell says:

I have all but seizures (praise the Lord). Many of the other symptoms are mild. The pain, spasticity, headaches (trigeminal neuralgia) are intense. The thing that hurts me more than all of it is #8. It doesn’t only hurt me.

Thanks for sharing!!! As usual you are amazing !!

20. Heather Adsit says:

I so can’t read all of them right now with my kids.
    But what I saw is amazing 🙂

I love it 🙂

Well put.

I love your ilistrations 🙂

It helps me to relate with pictures… I hope others can too.

I’m sharing the heck out of this 🙂

The one about vision. Ya… the colors

It’s like the walls melt different colors for me.

MS is so crazy 😉