I don’t forget things on purpose…it just happens

Last night I opened a candy bar and for whatever reason I set it down on my lap, got myself comfortable in bed, then forgot to eat it. What? Who opens a wonderful, delicious, amazing candy bar and forgets to eat it? ME, that’s who!

At around 3:30 AM I woke up and could smell chocolate. I didn’t quite know what to think as to the reason why. Still no recollections of the candy bar. I used my hands to help shift my body to a more comfortable position and it was then that I felt something strange. There were crumbs in my bed.

At first I didn’t know what to make of it. I don’t usually eat in bed so I knew it couldn’t be cracker crumbs. Maybe dirt transfer from working in the garden. Hmm, not sure. I turned the light on, pulled back the covers and then I saw it. The chocolate bar that I had opened earlier was mostly melted all over me, my PJ’s, sheets, and what wasn’t melted was now chocolate crumbs all around.

I ended up spending a few hours this morning washing a load of laundry, washing myself and carefully cleaning the floor where a few pieces of chocolate had fallen then melted in place. I have had some doozie moments with my memory like forgetting appointments; not remembering to reply to emails; forgetting names, words, TV shows I’ve already watched, and even things like what month it is, what day it is and why I went into the kitchen, but this is a first for me.

I use the calendar on my phone for reminders all the time. Am I going to have to start setting a reminder now to eat?

One good thing for today, I now have a freshly made bed that is so inviting I’m tempted to climb in and go back to bed for the day. It’s going to rain a little bit later anyway. Rainy day always help me sleep.

Oh, wait, according to my calendar I have to make a trip to the grocery store for some coffee, soup and BBQ sauce. Why BBQ sauce? I don’t know, but it’s on my list. I’ll remember later what it’s for so I better pick some up.

Now if I can just figure out what I did with my phone. It was sitting next to me a few minutes ago. Ugh…such is my life.

1. Kenesha
    Kenesha says:

Wow just reading some of what you all are going through makes me feel a little relieved I know that I am am not alone… I’ve been called a drama queen and even lazy at times lately because things I used to do I just don’t have the strength to as fast as I use to I have to push through everything and I’m very forgetful lately also.

2. Karen
    Karen says:

I know how you feel! I forget so many things! But what’s even worse is, my kids use my memory issues against me! They say they’ve told me things I’m certain they didn’t, they say we’ve had conversations we haven’t, I’m certain. I will, as I am told about something, write it on my dry erase board, so if it was important it would be there to remind me, by the way, my kids are adults!! My oldest son is convinced I exaggerate my symptoms for sympathy. He says I’ve always done this, I tell him to give me 2 examples, one before and one after diagnosed. He can’t. My husband thinks he’s in denial, his mom can’t be sick, I don’t know what to think, but I know in the moment I think he’s a mean ungrateful brat!! And it hurts!

Thanks for the laughs Penelope. I think we all have those moments and yes it can get messy, but isn’t MS messy? I have select hearing problems, but that isn’t just MS and can be just as bad. But isn’t life always making messes for us to clean up, whether physical or imagination. They can be just as real.

4. CLIVE WHITESIDE
    CLIVE WHITESIDE says:

Thank you for sharing this as it helps other people see they are not alone in experiencing these type of forgetful moments take Care and thank you for all that you do to help people living with MS through your posts take Care

5. Tiffany
    Tiffany says:

oh yeah I’m NOT alone… I did the same thing last night I had a cookie and put it down for some strange reason and I found it again when I was walking to bed on my bathroom counter 🙂 what a little nice surprise 🙂 and I love your post because I know that I’m not just making things up it is all so REAL so THANK YOU Penelope :):):)

6. Pammy
    Pammy says:

I just love how when I open the emails from Positive Living I feel so much less alone 😉 thank you so much.

7. Meeya
    Meeya says:

Oh deary, deary me… now you really get me seriously worried about you… forgetting to eat chocolate..?!? 😵
    Well, right now I’m convinced that could never ever happen to me… 😀 Which reminds me – where’s that lovely chocolate from Ecuador I had just two minutes ago on my desk disappeared to?!? And what’s that lovely taste in my mouth?? 😋

8. Jennifer Johnson
    Jennifer Johnson says:

This is just the article I need to explain to my family that I’m not forgetting what they say on purpose! Thank you so much it’s just what I needed!

Jennie

• Pammy
      Pammy says:

My family seem to think I am a drama queen when I show them things like this. Maybe because I try my best to be upbeat in the presence of others. I simply do not wish to be seen struggling, my pride will not allow it, do others get this? Am I just stubborn

• Jennifer Johnson
        Jennifer Johnson says:

OMG ME TOO! Upbeat is my middle name, I too hate to be seen as needy. There are some days I do pretend I’m not here when the phone or doorbell rings; those other days my family decides I’m being a drama queen. Yeah I’ve always been stubborn, must be why MS entered my life and decided I can handle it.