Multiple Sclerosis limits me more than I would like

I seriously think my stubbornness is the only thing that keeps me going amid all the craziness that happens in my life. I’m almost sure if that wasn’t a part of my personality I would have given up a long time ago.

This past weekend I cracked a rib trying to clear a section in my back yard that has some small dead surface tree roots that need to be pulled up, but the roots were just as stubborn as me. I leaned over in my chair, grabbed a surface root and started pulling. To keep from falling out of my chair I was leaning a bit sideways over the chairs arm. If I don’t do it that way, trust me, I will fall flat on my face. I don’t have great trunk control.

As I was pulling I heard a crack. Not from the root but from my rib as it was stressed from the pressure I was putting it through against the arm. Apparently I have better strength than I thought. It hurt like crazy too. It took me a minute to be able to straighten myself up and catch my breath. Every breath hurt. Every movement hurt.

The limits multiple sclerosis has placed on my life are more than I would like to have to deal with but now they are compounded by something completely non-MS related. I’m pretty good at added things into the mix that could have been prevented.

This past summer I broke two toes in a failed wheelchair transfer, before that I burned myself by pouring an entire hot pot of coffee on my lap, and before that I sliced my hand open trying to cut my own vegetables. By now you’d think I would be a bit more aware of my limitations.

That’s why I say my stubbornness is what keeps me going. I am not a quitter. It’s hard for me to not at least give something a try though. I’m perfectly fine letting someone else help me out, I just want to give things a try myself first. It makes me feel a bit more human and useful.

I hope I never give up the willingness to try things on my own. I doubt this will be my last accident. I just need to be more cautious and plan things out a little more in the future. I’m so glad my friends and family understand.

1. Peggy
    Peggy says:

Yep understand that stubborn streak…got one too But get your calcium checked too? Me they found I have Osteoporosis can cause broken bones maybe you might too. Be careful that cracked rib may bother you for awhile

Thanks Penelope you are certainly stubborn trying to pull a tree root out. Maybe you should use a chain and wrap it to your chair and use that to pull it out. lol But may it be better if you called for help to do this. I try to be stubborn but fatigue stops me doing things like this. I used to do this sometimes and was careful when I did this and not silly things. Please try and not hurting your self needlessly. I had to let go of many things but I try to do as much as I can but anything I can’t do I try to get help, if that doesn’t work I leave it alone and it may get done sometime.

3. Carla L Broadbent Rogers
    Carla L Broadbent Rogers says:

But bandages have neat patterns and fun colors. You can show the results from your not waiting for help in style. Stay safe.

4. Jan
    Jan says:

Oh yes, we’re all stubborn superhumans with MS. We try & then cry but keep on going even if we fail. And dear Penelope, you write to us with a broken rib!! You never give up!! You’re amazing!! Get well soon. 🙏 ❤️ Jan 😘

5. Gale Vester
    Gale Vester says:

Yep, my stubborn streak runs a mile wide! After a decade with this d@mn MonSter, if I hadn’t out-stubborned it, I can’t think of where else I’d be.

6. Brigitte
    Brigitte says:

Hi Chris I just want to thank you for your encouraging words in this article that you’ve written. I know it’s hard I can be very stubborn also, I just don’t like the thought of giving up that’s just not me when it comes to M.S. I hope you heal quickly and have a blessed day. 😊

7. Mary E Slavik
    Mary E Slavik says:

I have that type of stubborn streak too! It sometimes gets me into a whole lot of trouble! But I have been like that all of my life, and at 75 it is too late to change now. You are my encouragement! Love you for this! God Bless!

8. Chris
    Chris says:

Oh my! That hurts just reading about it!! I pray you feel relief and your rib heals quickly! AND friends/family came and took care of the roots!! Stubborn is the reason I work out, bike and do weight lifting…….I WILL do it because I can right now! Here’s to a healing week for you!!
    Blessings, Chris