You are not alone in this fight with multiple sclerosis

There are times when your dreams appear to be unreachable. When you look back at what you used to do and who you used to be, and catch yourself wondering why life had to change and where that person went. It’s actually quite easy to get sucked into the thoughts of yesterday feeling miserable and questioning everything about life.

It’s important to understand that we all have terrible days and crazy thoughts. We all go through periods of time when we feel unloved, useless, worthless, unhappy, miserable…basically, as if the end of the world is here right now and parked in our backyard or maybe even in our living room. Those feelings are so very real and they hurt…bad.

With all the crazy thoughts that swirl around in our heads and the uncertainty each day brings, it’s easy to miss the fact that there’s an entire future ahead of you still. Yes, there is a future with multiple sclerosis. You are not alone in this fight.

It takes a lot of strength to keep from wallowing in the struggle and thinking too much about the fears of tomorrow. When you get caught up thinking like that, all you are doing is bringing yourself down. If there’s one thing I could encourage you with today, it would be this…

You are not a failure. You are not insignificant, useless, a burden or a disappointment. You are a beautiful, valued, and remarkable person, and you have an incredible future ahead of you. You are amazing. Yes, YOU!

Get out of bed and look at today as an adventure. Brush your teeth, get dressed and tell yourself that you are going to make it. You can do this. Don’t look back. Don’t look forward. Just look at what is in front of you right now at this very moment and conquer this day one step at a time, one minute at a time, one moment at a time.

You are the only one that can do this and you are worth the effort. Living with MS is tough…but you are tougher. You are braver, you are stronger even when you are at your weakest, and you are doing it. I believe in you and know that you have a lot of amazingness to share with the world and to be a part of!

How do I know that? Because you are AMAZING!!!! So get out there and conquer.

There is a song from a while ago that states “this is the end of the world as we know it, but I feel fine” Maybe we should adopt that attitude and start living better..

2. Peggy
    Peggy says:

As others said needed this today
    Bad week so far. Dealing with fatigue. But had thought of you often and your cracked rib. Hopeful healthy

3. Mary E Slavik
    Mary E Slavik says:

Thanks Penelope!! I really needed this advice TODAY!! Bad week so far, but you are an inspiration!! Am going to try to be more positive!! God Bless!!

4. Melanie Cutts
    Melanie Cutts says:

Hi Penny,
    Every time I feel low your words of wisdom appear and give me the strength to dust myself off and start looking at the positives in my life. I am not the sum of MS, it is just a small part of me. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to blog. You’re such an inspiration – like Bouddicca leading her warriors in to battle against this crappy disease. Thank you so much, long may you keep winning knowing we’re behind you all the way xx

5. Jan
    Jan says:

Thank you again, Penelope for your inspiration. I think of your words and they seem to push me magically to get going each day with hope. Many, many thanks, Jan 😘
    PS. Hope your ribs are healing nicely. 😃

6. mike
    mike says:

great words penelope ,they realy do help ,when one is feeling down.some days i realy feel useless ,so thanks for our inspiring words.frustration is the one thing that i describe ms the most.thanks again

7. Martin Dance
    Martin Dance says:

Hi Penelope
    My day has just got a 100% better after reading your comment !!!!
    Beat thing I ever did was joining your newsletter a few weeks back & yes I have ordered & received your MS Warrior mugs
    they put me in such a positive mood when I have my forst cuppa in the morning.
    Stay positive everyone & stick together, dont let it beat you !
    My Infusion tomorrow so will show this website to my MS team in hospital, they will be impressed I know.

• Penelope Conway
      Penelope Conway says:

Aww, thank you Martin. That really makes my day. Will be thinking of you as you go through your infusion. That’s an adventure for sure. So glad to be able to lift your spirit. Hang in there. xoxo