One multiple sclerosis symptom that is super annoying for me is this crazy fluttering sound that is constantly happening in my right ear. The best way for me to describe what it sounds like is those times when you get water trapped in your ears and as you work to get the water out a fluttering sound pulses throughout your ear canal. That or those times when you are flying on an airplane and the air pressure changes trigger a flutter. You usual can remedy the problem by chewing gum or yawning.
The problem with the fluttering sound for me is that it never goes away. No amount of shaking, poking, yawning, massaging or chewing seems to work. And of all things, loud noises seem to get amplified in my head almost as if a megaphone is blasting sound directly into my ear.
A few other strange symptoms…
- The MS hug which is more like a constant bear hug or a girdle that is so tight that you have trouble breathing.
- Muscle twitches that happen spontaneously and without warning. I have been know to involuntarily kick things, throw a coffee cup across the room, and hit someone sitting beside me for no reason.
- Brain fog moments that can make conversations with me not just strange but entertaining as well. Sometimes talking with me ends up becoming a game of charades.
- Uncontrollable itching for no apparent reason whatsoever. No mosquito bites, poison oak or allergy to the dust in the air.
- Mixed up emotions…yes it’s real. I have been known to cry for no reason, laugh at inappropriate times and be sad even when things happening in my life are good.
- Tastebud confusion really happens. I sometimes can’t properly taste the food I just cooked to know if I have put enough salt in or if I over spiced the chili.
What a crazy mixed up disease multiple sclerosis can be. And that’s just a few of the weird things I am able to think of at the moment. I’m sure there are more, I just can’t remember what they are this early in the morning.
Know that you are not going crazy when strange things happen. It could be MS or it could just be your body being rebellious. Maybe I’ve been abducted by aliens and they are testing my sanity. Do I need to get a tinfoil hat? Maybe I already have one I just don’t remember where I put it.