When Multiple Sclerosis messes with your taste buds

Just when I think multiple sclerosis can’t get any weirder, I’m proven wrong. The past few days my ability to taste has diminished considerably. My morning coffee has become more of a habit drink than a savory experience. It tastes like warm something…I just don’t know what that something is.

I made some lemon chicken yesterday for dinner but couldn’t enjoy it. It had a wonderful aroma, looked amazing, but the taste just wasn’t there. In the end I didn’t eat much of it. That’s concerning because ensuring proper nutrition is very important to anyone dealing with MS, or any other chronic illness, and I’m having to get a bit creative to ensure I do.

I have some meal replacement drinks that are chock-full of minerals and vitamins, and I find they are currently easier to manage than an entire meal that I can’t enjoy. I will have to keep a bit more track of the foods I eat, or don’t eat, so I don’t end up losing weight unnecessarily…although who wouldn’t want help losing a few extra pounds?

Today I am going to make some tomato soup for lunch and maybe try a salad but that may be pushing it. We’ll see.

I’m ready for my taste buds to return to normal, I just wish my life would as well. That may be too much wishing for one day. I pray, work hard to stay healthy and keep a daily schedule of exercise, muscle massage and brain therapy.  If I see a shooting star tonight I will definitely give it a wish. Hey, anything is worth a try.

1. Stephanie Beck
    Stephanie Beck says:

What a relief to hear of others who have lost their taste buds!!! I just thought it was another crazy thing my body was doing to me. Not bragging by no means but I was always known for being a very good “Southern” cook. I learned from both of my grandma’s how to cook. I use to make a mean pot of homemade chicken and dumplings, biscuits, cornbread, apple pie, macaroni and cheese (that would make you wanna ‘slap your grandma’ (oops, my Southern-ness is slipping out), sweet tea, and fried chicken, just to name a few of my favorites. My family’s very favorite thing for me to make and eat is my homemade spaghetti. My sauce was/is to die for but I would rather chew on a toothpick now than put it anywhere near my mouth. It taste horrible to me, I can’t even stomach it. NOTHING taste normal anymore, therefore I no longer like to cook because I can’t get the taste right because of my dried up taste buds. Now my smell sense has always been good but it’s extra sensitive now. Either everything totally stinks or there’s just strange aroma that I can not pinpoint.
    Well, now I feel more normal, thank you Penelope and others that share. Penelope, you are a remarkable lady! You may not be feeling remarkable right now but you truly are an inspiration to me. You “get me” yet we don’t even know each other but you have a special way of touching people with your ability to just “lay it all out”, no bows, no candy-coating, just you, the real you. God bless you, you beautiful person, inside and out.

2. Erin
    Erin says:

It was very helpful to read this post. My sense of taste has altered dramatically over the past few months. Morning coffee that used to be so enjoyable is barely tolerable. I have no appetite and only eat because I know I have to. I was reluctant to blame this on MS, but I can’t think of any other cause. Thank you for the great post.

3. Cole
    Cole says:

As I am new to MS I’m learing new symptoms that I have that MS is causing. Last night I had Lemon peppered Backed chicken. Tasted like I was eating fish. I also get a very bitter taste in my mouth out of nowhere? Is that normal?

4. Dr Arkham
    Dr Arkham says:

Loosing all sense of taste was one of my first symptoms, food tasted like cardboard and all drinks like water. I stopped drinking alcohol during this time. it took about a month for my taste to return.

5. Eyelids Reyes
    Eyelids Reyes says:

This started for me 4 years ago. I mention it to my neurologist not realizing it was an ms symptom. I was surprised it was another thing that ms was so eager to take from me.

Thanks Penelope, I must admit my taste buds haven’t gone and I hope they will never go. Anyway have a good Christmas and a great New Year to all of you here.

7. Momof3
    Momof3 says:

In 2016 I had a relapse Christmas. Felt like I had a blow tourch in my mouth for a few weeks. Completely changed my tastebuds. They are still bad. Everyone knows when I order something out because I have to have on just a burger light ketchup, light mustard, no pickles. I have to have everything altered so I can eat it.
    In August I learned I’m allergic to wheat and 5 pages of other foods. So that makes the list of what I can eat even shorter. Wheat is in everything. Everything! I find this so funny on top of MS too!

8. Kat
    Kat says:

I lost my ability to taste the day before I was making supper for my dad’s birthday. I had to get him to taste test for me! I was going to be a chef before MS. My taste buds go back and forth but I find I can taste very spicy food almost as if it was a mild flavour

9. Carla L Broadbent Rogers
    Carla L Broadbent Rogers says:

I have joined that group also. Mine started acting up about a year ago. I keep soups and liquids in the pantry. I get something in my system. Oh what fun we all have with our MS. All good things now and always. Merry Christmas and a Very Happy Healthier New Year.

10. Peggy
    Peggy says:

I’ve heard of this happening; but so far hasn’t happened to me yet (thank goodness). But i could definitely lose a few pounds!

11. Jan
    Jan says:

Isn’t it strange? I too, have taste & smell problems. I’m like a blood hound and it drives my husband crazy. Yucky steak and stinky asparagus, the other night, both I used to love. So, I, too, had discovered chili the other night and it was blissful!! Yummy in my tummy!! 😋
    Jan

12. Fran Brough
    Fran Brough says:

I lost my sense of taste and certain smells some time ago, my favourite meal is a good chilli at least it has some flavour