Tomorrow…life will change

No one likes to think about where Multiple Sclerosis may lead…not even me, but I can tell you from my own experience, to ignore all possibilities of progression is to live in denial. I lived there my first year after diagnosis. I refused to believe that my life was changing or would keep changing and that I needed to make adjustments.

I know how hard it is to accept that your body is fighting against you. I know how much you want to simply fight back and hope with all hope that you are one of the lucky ones that lives with a benign case of MS, and I commend that attitude. I really do. But denying that MS is a part of your life will only hurt you later on. Refusing to accept what is happening to you is setting yourself up for defeat.

The best way to look at things is from a perspective of…”Yes, I may have MS BUT as long as my body is still able to function, I will live each day to its fullest. Tomorrow that may change and if that should happen, I’m prepared for it. Maybe not mentally. Maybe not emotionally, but I have considered my surroundings and I have made preparations for the possibility of a life with limitations due to MS.”

You see, preparing for tomorrow is not living with a negative attitude. It’s living in reality. Somehow, somewhere along the way we have changed the meaning of positive and negative thinking.

It’s not negative to prepare for tomorrow. It’s not negative to talk about MS, your struggles or your pain. It’s not negative to think of ways to adapt your home or even start the process in making those changes now before they are needed. It’s not negative to adapt your home or your life for a possibility of immobility.

Some of us don’t have the luxury to make those preparations because life hit us too hard, too fast. If you can…begin making the preparations now. You will be glad you did. Besides, what could it hurt?

Enjoy today, live in the now, savor the sweet memories you are creating with those you love, but don’t ignore the possibilities of tomorrow…good or bad. Change happens whether we like it or not.

1. Rita
    Rita says:

I just read this old article and I can’t believe it.
    It happened again: Mrs Penelope and her comparisons. She said and I am quoting here “…hope with all hope that you are one of the lucky ones that lives with a benign case of MS..
    I am sorry, Penelope, what is “benign case of MS?” I never heard this term. I will ask my neurologist about that. Do you really think that a person who has the called relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS) is “lucky one”?
    Do you really think that RRMS is a “benign case of MS”?
    Wow! I would expect hear those absurd terms from a person who doesn’t know anything about MS, but from you????? No doctor, no nurse, no occupational therapy would ever use those terms (that actually don’t exist) when speak about RRMS, never ever!!!
    MS affects you way more than your mobility, fast or slowly. What makes MS terrible is not being in the wheelchair (many people are in wheelchair and they are happy, working, play sports), MS affects you way more than that, it destroys the quality of your life, makes you feel limited and weak like a elderly person, when you are only in your 40’s. MS destroys your energy, your endurance, your desire to do things, to leave home. And that is terrible – it doesn’t matter if you are in wheelchair or not. It doesn’t matter.
    So, please, stop your comparisons, this is the second time that I read your text doing that.
    MS is a terrible disease. Period. THERE IS NO “LUCKY ONE”, THERE IS NO “BENGIN MS”.

P.S: I am sorry but I needed to write this comment. I don’t mean being rude, but I can’t agree with that.

• Rita
      Rita says:

Hi,
      Now more calm, I would like to express what I meant when I wrote the comment above.
      What I wanted to say is that: nobody is “lucky for having the benign case of MS”, like I read in this text. Nobody is “lucky” being sick with MS (of any type) or sick with any disease.
      We are lucky when we are healthy. Just it
      Mrs Penelope, I like your articles, but I didn’t like this one, at all.

2. George Rector
    George Rector says:

Indeed. My advice to those who are newly diagnosed is to expect the best and prepare for the worst. A problem often faced by people with a progressive disease is that help, education, and services do not become available until after they are needed. Then it becomes overwhelming.

3. Peggy
    Peggy says:

Great advice! Loved the thoughts for today. I need apply this one:
    “Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don’t. ― Steve Maraboli

4. Sian Roberts
    Sian Roberts says:

This is so true!

When I the OT offered me rails for the steps and stairs in our house around 15 months ago, I thought the offer was premature but they soon became useful. When my husband bought me a mobility scooter as a surprise, I definitely thought it was premature but I appreciate it now. We’ve had a stairlift installed before it is really necessary – because these things take time – and we’re currently considering a wetroom although I can manage a shower (with a seat) at present. We got a automatic car with a hoist for the scooter just at the right time.

One thing we have left rather late is a ramp out of the house and a smooth surface for the parking space (instead of pebbles) so that I can get out and about by myself – on the scooter or in the car. I don’t often need to go out during the day – but I’m looking forward to being able to go – even if it’s just to the dentist’s or down to the beach.

Thanks Penelope great thoughts again. We have to enjoy the good things that happen to us and work through the bad times to make them better. This is the same for everyone and not just for MS. It’s quite strange when you look at the things we have to do and what others have to do. It crosses over to most things and shows we are not really that different. We have odd things we deal with each day but then different ‘jobs’ give that same respond.