Why I do what I do for people with multiple sclerosis?

In the past month, I have been approached by two different companies to join in with them in order to reach more people living with multiple sclerosis. That sounds great, doesn’t it? I mean, that’s what I want to do. I want to touch as many people living with MS as possible with a message of hope, help and encouragement. Go for it you say, right?!

The problem is, in digging further into both of these businesses, I discovered that they make a profit by selling their customer data. Everything you do on their sites from talking with others, to plugging in the meds you take, to sharing your symptoms and difficulties is collected and sold off for their gain to pharmaceutical companies and research. That doesn’t sit well with me. I value the trust you have in me too much to get involved in things like that.

For me, it’s all about integrity. Everything I do, I do for you. I have you in mind from the moment I wake up to the time I go to bed. Not thinking about how I can make a few bucks off of you, but how I can make you smile or ease the burden you carry. That burden is heavy. I know because I’m right there with you walking this MS journey too.

When you stop by my online store and buy a shirt or send in a donation, that helps me to cover the costs of running this website. It never covers it fully, but I don’t care. Has someone been helped because of something I posted or said? That’s what matters to me. That’s all that matters to me. You matter to me.

I know today’s post is a bit different than usual, but I wanted you to know how important you are to me. It’s a messed up world out there but I have chosen not to get messed up with it.

If you are hurting today, I am sending you a virtual hug from me to you {{{{{{{{hug}}}}}}}}. If you are weary and tired, hang in there. You will make it through this time. If you are engulfed in stormy clouds and torrential rains, hunker down and take a break. It’s okay to pause, and I can guarantee you the sun will shine again.

Keep this in mind as you go throughout your day: When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold. They believe that when something’s suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful.

You may see a life of damage before you but I see someone who is gorgeous even in your brokenness.

1. S
    S says:

God Bless you! I’ve been having a really rough time,no family no income no support. It’s great to see people getting care and working through this horrible disease.Its nice to see people reaching out to those who suffer.

2. Anne
    Anne says:

Are you able to tell us which websites you are referring to? I imagine Im not the only one who would like to consider whether they are ones I want to continue with, given what you have said about them selling on our information

3. Peggy
    Peggy says:

Thanks Penelope. YES the posts you’ve done have made me smile, grimace, cheer! Just know you’ve made a difference to me!

4. indulge
    indulge says:

Thankyou. I am always grateful for your comments. I am sure they keep me going. Love your positivity and also your integrity. Your work is very much appreciated.

5. Roland R Clarke
    Roland R Clarke says:

100% respect for your moral stance, plus more. My thanks and blessings as I sit here in one of your hoodies.

6. Pmdbio
    Pmdbio says:

Penelope,
    You are a true warrior fighting to inspire other MSer’s with sincerity, knowledge, personal experiences, humor and love. Thank you for your integrity and for writing this article.
    Blessings, Pam

Thanks Penelope there are some business who try and pray on us and there are some that want us to pay them our life to get better. You have done well to find the cause for them as it can be easy to drag us into a financial mess that seemed good but turned rotten. It applies to many business and other sources that seem a good thing but then they try and drag as much as they can from you. We have to careful and make sure the people involved in this are genuine and are willing go help you. This site is a good example of help with no heavy financial drag which is good for me as I have had no income for more than 4 years.

8. pam
    pam says:

When you wake up with ms,it is front and center daily until you go to bed,it is good to read and hear positivity daily ,it is so good to connect with people that “GET” it

• Penelope Conway
      Penelope Conway says:

There is no cost. Joining will give you the emails I send out every Tuesday and Thursday. I used to write daily but that got too hard so I cut it back. I use Facebook and Twitter daily to post my silly stuff, and the blog is more of my thoughts on specific topics. They are much more in depth. There are lots of MSers who are wonderful with advice, hope, etc. if I’m slow in responding.

You join with the link at the top of the page called “Join Us”. https://positivelivingwithms.com/join-us/

9. Melissa Maree
    Melissa Maree says:

I just read your post,i have been fighting this monster since 2012,i need more positive in my life right now and would love to join your blog!! I tried to start a blog but found out how expensive it is and i just can’t afford it right now!! Thank you for allowing me t join!!

10. Michelle
    Michelle says:

Bless you for your integrity and truly wanting to help other with this MonSter. You help so many of us with keeping it “real” and by your honesty. Sending you a virtual hug from Canada 🙂

• Melissa
      Melissa says:

May the blessing of light be on you, light without and light within. May the blessed sunlight shine on you like a great peat fire, so that stranger and friend may come and warm himself at it.

11. Jan
    Jan says:

Thank you for getting us MSers to get through each day whether they are good or bad. I never feel all alone. 🙋🏻
    Jan 😘

12. Meeya
    Meeya says:

You actually make me smile every single day, as I have printouts of my favourite Penelope-posts and quotes on my walls (bedroom & office).
    Thanks again for making a HUGE difference in so many lives – and as many big, big hugs as you can bear!!!😘