When you feel like giving up…

When everything seems to be falling apart and the struggle to simply get out of bed becomes a monumental feat.
When the tears flow, the anger rises, and fears take hold of your day.
When the fatigue becomes overwhelming.
When you feel all alone because no one understands how hard even the simplest of things can be.
When your bladder fails you in public.
When your legs unexpectedly give way.
When the floor becomes the enemy and then your friend as you hug out your frustrations together.
When your vision blurs, your muscles twitch and your hands can’t even hold a cup of water.
When the pain becomes unbearable.
When your career ends and even your passions begin to slowly fade away.
When multiple sclerosis steals your joy and hides your laughter.
When the uncertainty of tomorrow becomes so great that even you don’t know how to overcome the worry.
When all seems lost, dark and dreary.

When you feel like giving up…don’t!

Find something in the middle of all the chaos that brings you comfort whether it’s a fuzzy blanket to snuggle with, a friend to sit with, or your favorite song to listen to. Allow yourself time to vent and time to cry. It’s really okay to do that.

There’s nothing wrong with allowing yourself to feel. You’re human. You have real life struggles going on. Letting out all that built up emotion is necessary to allow the steam out and avoid an explosion.

But when you’re done with your screaming, crying and punching—when you have no voice left and no more tears remain—weed through all the mess in your life and find a smile. You know, that thing where the corners of your mouth turn upward and at times even a giggle seeps out? Yeah…that thing.

Put on the funniest movie you know of and laugh…hard. Remember a funny story from days gone by. Talk with a friend and allow yourself the chance to enjoy the moment. Laugh yourself through the pain, frustrations and fears.

Laughter is amazingly powerful. It has this way of pulling you out of the deepest of pits and lifting you up. It can cause your belly to ache and your ribs to hurt, but that kind of pain is worth it. Laughter lightens the air around you and gives you the ability to fly.

Soar with the eagles today. Find your smile, grab onto a laugh and spread your wings. On this day, today…you can’t give up.

Thanks Penelope we all have that frustrating feeling about what MS has done to us, but working through problems and making life a little easily gives us the feeling of accompany a problem and feeling good about it. This is something we can do to ease the discordantly that seems to take over our life.

2. Pam
    Pam says:

Lisa,
    You wrote and posted this article with impeccable timing for me. I had an appointment with my neurologist earlier this week. Since that day, I’ve been like a deer in the headlights. Change can be challenging, no matter what an MSer is dealing with any second, minute, hour, day, month or year.
    Thank you for writing with honest clarity. Thank you for keeping your website going for all MSer’s. Thank you for your integrity. Thank you for caring passionately about your readers. Thank you for your love. I’m grateful beyond measure for the privilege of having you in my life. Blessings, Pam

3. Jane Vorndran
    Jane Vorndran says:

Perfect timing. It’s stupid because my MS isn’t even very bad, but I’ve been so depressed lately. I have been so busy raising 4 kids, 2 disabled, that any friends I had have dropped away. If I had any they sure wouldn’t want me crying on their shoulder. I don’t know… I’ve been so depressed…

• Evelyn DeSadier
      Evelyn DeSadier says:

Hi Jane,
      I don’t know you but I do know how you feel. Hang in there. Your kids need you and it will get better. I promise! I have my bad days too and I just had to reach out to you to say hang in there. There are times when I think “my MS isn’t so bad”… then I fall down in Publix or forget everything I’ve ever known – like how to turn on my laptop (yup, that actually happened), or I take a shower and then need a nap. Depression is real. Talk to someone. Talk to your doctor. But just know that it can get better.

Now, what did I do with the remote???… : )
      Evelyn

4. Lisa
    Lisa says:

This is beautiful! I’m going to copy and carry this with me in my purse. Such a powerful reminder to keep going!! Thank you for writing and sharing!

5. Jackie A Burris
    Jackie A Burris says:

For me the temptation to frown comes first but then when the urge to laugh instead takes over, even when inappropriate at the time, I let it out and what would end up in tears of frustration instead ends up with me calmly accepting what happened so I can move on with my life from falling or whatever.

You are right we as humans deserve and need to feel whatever but making the best of our, at the time, bad situation means that we can forge onward and live rather than just exist Penelope.

As much as I truly hate having MS, despise my loss of independence as can no longer drive, hate not being able to go outside and work in my yard anymore as love to mow and weed there are so many things that make me smile when look out the window at nature that more often than not can forget all that and just enjoy the moments I am given.