I can’t go through life pretending that everything is okay

This is the truth…the raw truth of a person living with multiple sclerosis. I can’t pretend that everything is okay, because the truth is, it’s not. Let’s get this out in the open instead of constantly whispering about it in the shadows. I am living with a chronic illness. There is no magic cure and no way of knowing how it will affect me in the years to come.

There are too many fake people out there with their fake solutions, fake cures and fake help. You know it and I know it. That’s just too much fakery for me. I prefer being real even if it’s not very popular.

MS is not my fault. I didn’t cause it by the way I eat or the things I do. It’s not payback either for the things I’ve done in my past no matter how bad they may have been. MS picked me out of a crowded room and decided I was the one it wanted to live with. I had no choice in the matter.

The choices I do have are in what methods I decide to pursue in dealing with this illness. It’s my choice though, not yours. Just like this is my body and my life, I am the one making the choices in the way I will seek treatment.

You have your own hardships and struggles to face. I’m sure you wouldn’t like me getting into your business and matter-of-factly pointing out everything you need to be doing regardless of if I even know what I’m talking about.  I’m not here to tell you how to live your life by giving you step by step solutions to all your troubles, so please stop judging me for how I live mine.

It hurts when people refuse to accept my diagnosis. MS is hard enough as it is, I don’t need finger pointing and constant “if you only” statements being thrown around. Can we be honest about everything? Can we acknowledge that MS is real in my life. Can we face this together so I don’t have to face it alone?

I may be strong, but I’m not bulletproof. I keep going because MS has made me a stronger and better person, but that doesn’t mean I don’t hurt. The truth is I get scared, fail, struggle and even break. I don’t give up though. Nope…not me. I’m a fighter by choice and will keep fighting every day that I live. That’s the truth of my life. Will you stand with me in the fight?

1. Vicky
    Vicky says:

Thank you for speaking the words we all cant seem to speak. I copied and posted the whole thing on my facebook along with the link to your blog. You are awesome! P

Thanks Penelope we do have to live our own life. But we also need help with this mess and we should accept these things, and these are our choices to make. We certainty need someone to help us as we are unable to do what we used to or want to.

3. Tiffany
    Tiffany says:

Thank You Penelope for sharing the truth about MIGHTY SPECIAL warriors 🙂 Yes we all are very special warriors!!! I love the fact that you can make something horrible into JOYFUL and so doable… I LOVE ALL OF YOUR POST 🙂 Thanks Tiff 🙂

4. Carla L Broadbent Rogers
    Carla L Broadbent Rogers says:

Be well Penelope. MS in my book is that you are “Mighty Special”. When asked how I am……”Good, Bad and Ugly. Pick one and we will talk.” We humans are a strange breed. Big Hug to all.

• Kristi
      Kristi says:

‘Mighty Strong’ is something I will tell myself when I have sad times! Thank you so much for posting! It helped me! ♥️

5. Laszlo
    Laszlo says:

My cousin has MS and has been open about it to the world for the last 5 years, though she was diagnosed in her early twenties (25 years ago roughly)…it’s very difficult for people living with MS and often people don’t understand and judge her without having a clue about the daily struggles she has to endure. I do whatever I can in supporting her, Walk MS is one event we all do together….and I thank you for your articles because I know it helps her. She is an MS Warrior, she is special, and she is loved…like you! Hope you have a beautiful day however you must face it!

6. Jackie
    Jackie says:

I agree with an very well said. Thank you Penelope. People dont know how we feel, how it hurts when we look fine. Its very difficult.

7. Jan
    Jan says:

Thank you Penelope. I always love reading your articles. Your so right about MS and how we all feel living with it. My doctor just took me off injections since I told her I couldn’t inject my body anymore with needles after years and years of destroying my skin. I’m so thankful I wasn’t told “No, you cannot do that!” After all, it’s MY body and I know my limits. Jan 😘