Be a champion multiple sclerosis warrior

It’s really easy to get discouraged living with a chronic illness especially when your plans, dreams, and hopes have all been crushed, sometimes destroyed, changing your life more than you ever thought possible. Some of the changes are minor like a numb finger that annoys the heck out of you and some are more catastrophic like losing your eyesight or your ability to walk.

I have personally spent countless hours fighting, struggling and crying in an attempt to wiggle free from a disease that is holding me captive and I have yet to find long lasting relief. At different times, people have come along giving me the ole “pep talk” telling me that I have MS but MS doesn’t have me, and although I appreciate them taking the time to share, their words of encouragement seem to actually discourage me more than help. Maybe you’ve been there too.

Life just changed too much and I wasn’t prepared for the onslaught of changes that happened. I don’t know anyone that can be prepared for such a life-altering time. I have spent a lot of time over the months and years looking back at what once was, and in doing so I discovered that the true freedom I was seeking wasn’t in the what once was. It’s in the what will be. A place that I can be an active part of.

We each have a future ahead of us. Maybe not the future we wanted but there is still a future and we can’t move forward chained to the past looking back wishing things were different. We have to let go of what once was in order to live in the now and become a part of the what will be.

So take it from me… You’re hurting, not defeated. You’re broken, not destroyed. You’re overwhelmed, not conquered. You’re weak, not powerless. You have worth and tremendous value. You are perfect just as you are in an imperfect body. Now is not the time to give up, quit or give in. Swim through the tears and refuse to drown.

Never forget that warriors don’t always feel like champions but that is exactly what they are. Being a champion is a state of mind. Quitting is not a part of their vocabulary. You have to fight regardless of the difficulties ahead of you. Today belongs to you. Be the champion warrior you are deep inside. You’ve got what it takes.

1. Gale Langseth Vester
    Gale Langseth Vester says:

Oh, Penelope, thank you for sharing things such as this thought that help me now a little bit but which may well later on help me a huge amount more and that help others like or unlike me, too.

2. Claire Lightley
    Claire Lightley says:

Hurting, broken, overwhelmed, weak … yes, indeed this is how I feel often but your words bring strength and courage always. Thank you dear Penelope – YOU have what it takes! Cx

3. Cheryl
    Cheryl says:

Diagnosed 2 months ago. Trying not to focus on the cannots and celebrate the cans. Articles like this remind me. Thank you

4. Kelly
    Kelly says:

Thank you for this. I’m still grieving the loss of who I was. I was diagnosed almost two years ago, and I’m still trying to adjust to the many changes. Hearing an honest statement about these struggles is so refreshing. It puts a different spin on my thoughts about my life. MS has me, but I’m still ME. Thanks for that.

Thanks Penelope as usually you have hit the nail on the head. We have a new life that like before changes in every way, we never know what is coming next. Keep looking forward and be aware you do have a past that made who you are ad looking back can be useful to make sense of what we are going through but don’t dwell on it to take you away from the present or future.

6. Peggy
    Peggy says:

Just getting to read and i really needed this! Thanks for the message. From one Warrior to another in this fight Thank You for your words of encouragement.😍

7. Tiffay
    Tiffay says:

WOW once again you nailed it!!!!!!! Are you some how in my head with all of my thoughts and struggles Penelope??? Just when I start to hit bottom YOU amazingly nail it every time and actually pick me back up!!! It seems so weird, and a major THANK YOU Penelope cause YOU ROCK 🙂 🙂 🙂

8. Lori
    Lori says:

I’m so grateful for your insightful message! I have been struggling with MS for 20yrs, it helps immensely to reflect on our “cans” instead of our “can nots”!!

• Peggy
      Peggy says:

I was given the tssk by another to list out my can dos and cannots. I was so surprised and it helped me when i realized the can dos were more@

9. Jan
    Jan says:

Penelope, I really needed to hear this today. You’re helping all of us get through the difficult days of which you have many yourself!! Many blessings, ❤️Jan 😘