I dare you to live

I love days when I am able to get out of the house even if it’s only for a wheelchair ride down the street or just through the front yard. The weather in Alabama is starting to cool off a bit so my outside adventures can happen more often now. On cooler days I love it when the sun is out, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and everything in the universe seems alive.

Even though I have my moments of weakness and difficulties, I never want to throw the towel in and give up because of my limitations. I want to keep going until I no long can. Yes, I’m that stubborn. But to me that kind of stubborn can be a good thing. As long as I’m not harming myself or others, my stubbornness is the push I need to keep going. Believe me, if I wanted I would have given up months ago…years ago…but that’s just not in me to do.

When I was out in the yard yesterday I was thinking about my many trips years ago I made to the amusement park for fun. I don’t live too far from one and I remember riding the scariest of the scary rides. I had no fear. Now, Just thinking about some of those rides makes my head spin and puts my body on tilt. Thankfully I’m sitting down.

It’s kind of ironic that I can lose my balance so easily now. I wish I could exchange this roller coaster ride multiple sclerosis has given me in my head with a trolley ride instead. I have an endless roller coaster ride that I would gladly exchange for one that had stops, pauses and moments of stillness. Gone are the days of me riding daring rides. Now, because of MS, I carry one around with me everywhere I go that dares me to live.

Life is short and moments will come along that you can never get back. Don’t become so busy with things that have little to no importance in life that you later regret missing out on something that you could have done instead. You have to take each day as it comes. When you find yourself able to do something…do it. You never know if you will have that opportunity again.

If you can walk, get out and walk. If you can run…run. If you can dance…dance. If you can ride in a wheelchair…ride. Soak in every moment you can. You never know what tomorrow may bring. It may be sunshine, it may be torrential rains, but if you’re anything like me just pull out an umbrella and keep on going without any regrets.

While there’s life, there’s hope. Don’t let MS stop you from living. Let it stir you up to live life to the fullest. I dare you to live. Actually I double dog dare you!

1. bunny
    bunny says:

double dog dare ya is the best!!!
    (Christmas movie favorite)
    thanks for the reminder.
    i say embrace the moment no matter how big or small.
    i have a tattoo “embrace your blessings”. and i do everyday.

Thanks Penelope we all need to get outside sometime to appreciate the world we live in, rather than the world we manufacture in our head.

3. Janet Stanzel
    Janet Stanzel says:

Love your posts that motivate me to move. I am always inspired to do something by your words….or at least attempt to, depending on my MS weather.
    You will get me out to enjoy the beautiful fall colours from the comfort of a sunny spot on my deck. Thank you. 😊
    Just finished a four day marathon dosage of prednisone two days ago to get me out of my current relapse. This was a rough relapse mentally this time. Feeling very isolated now that summer is over, kids are back in school , husband at work etc Debbie Downer had me in tears yesterday due to frustration with everything lately but today the sun is shining, birds are chirping and I will NOT let this beautiful day pass me by without enjoying a little of it!
    Thank you for the nudge forward. 🤗😊

• Paige Reale
      Paige Reale says:

I could have written much of that myself, after having completed a 10 day IV infusion for my relapse. It also was a doozy, and I thank you for so perfectly setting my head straight (okay as straight as possible)!
      I will enjoy as much of every day as I can. When I forget, I’ll read your posts, Penelope! Sending my best with a glass full of thanks!

4. Sally
    Sally says:

I really needed to hear that !! I was having a very rare“pity party “
    I don’t normally get down very often but it is 12.30am in Australia and the tears kept flowing. Why me ? etc
    Tomorrow morning is a new day !!!

5. Nancy
    Nancy says:

Penelope, I think that we are “cut from the same cloth,” “like minds,” “partners in crime!”

Yesterday, I was released from intensive PT after breaking my hip in July. Through all of this, I’ve been determined to get back on my feet so I can get back outside to my garden, play with my dog or just have a cup of coffee on the porch. Sound familiar?

Keep lifting us up Penelope. There’s life to live! God bless you.